Ever seen a snake wild in the UK?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Saw one this afternoon, swimming across a stream.
     I've been lucky enough to see quite a few. Most have been grass snakes, ranging from 40cm up to over twice that. Handsome creatures.
     I've seen adders a few times too. The first time there were two males (one of which was completely black) and a female, and these hung around, basking in the morning sunshine for a good half an hour. Last month on a visit to the RSPB reserve at Minsmere, we saw a smallish female adder which crossed the oath in front of me, went into some bushes and then doubled back, coming within a couple of feet of where my Mrs was standing. Luckily, my wife quite likes snakes!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11802
    Seen two both swimming under bridges I was on both looked like adders
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Never in the UK, but loads in Australia.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Yeah, I've seen quite a few while fishing.
    Mostly grass snakes, but a few adders too.
    Seen quite a few swimming.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    There was a decent sized grass snake in the garden for a couple of days, dog pissed on an adder once! Relief he didn't see it or he'd probably of ended up bitten. Stayed at an eco reserve in Costa Rica couple of years ago; loads of snakes there including a couple of legitimately dangerous ones.

Rehomed/rescued a couple of corn snakes years ago which both escaped*, ended up finding them both in the kitchen when I was going for a glass of water in the night within a week of each other after a few months. That's a fright at 2am I'll tell you!

*Don't keep snakes in cages.