OK Computer is 20 years old.....

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
just saw that Radiohead are releasing an OK Computer 20th Anniversary Edition called OK COMPUTER OKNOTOK.  Can't believe this album is 20 years old.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12944
    We're now closer to 2040 than to 1990. Dunno about you but that's terrifying to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    You can just f**k right off...................
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27221
    edited May 2017
    I like the idea of the OK20 boxset thing, but I've heard all the tracks before, in one form or another. I'm not sure how much of this is a label-cash-cow-milking endeavor and how much is the band wanting to put it out, since obviously the publishing for everything from that era is still under EMI afaik.

And in other news, Blade Runner is set in 2019...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    20 years? That pretty old for a computer....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    I like the idea of the OK20 boxset thing, but I've heard all the tracks before, in one form or another. I'm not sure how much of this is a label-cash-cow-milking endeavor and how much is the band wanting to put it out, since obviously the publishing for everything from that era is still under EMI afaik.

I'm pretty sure it will be a label cash in.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    20 years? That pretty old for a computer....
    Love it :D
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    We're now closer to 2040 than to 1990. Dunno about you but that's terrifying to me. 
    Damn......
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I thought I should love that album but I couldn't get into it at all
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4604
    Pronounced Ock No Tok
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5019
    Give it another 20 years and then maybe I'll give it a listen.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3270

Not so sure about the label cash-in as Radiohead have always distanced themselves from the label -particularly the greatest hits emi put out, the band wanted none of that. So far the promo for this has all come through Radiohead central office (waste) which is the face for where their business has been centred since leaving emi.

I reckon the band are in on it and have relished the chance to re-mix and remaster, possibly in line with how they originally envisaged the album before Emi took it off their hands for mastering 20 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27221

Not so sure about the label cash-in as Radiohead have always distanced themselves from the label -particularly the greatest hits emi put out, the band wanted none of that. So far the promo for this has all come through Radiohead central office (waste) which is the face for where their business has been centred since leaving emi.

I reckon the band are in on it and have relished the chance to re-mix and remaster, possibly in line with how they originally envisaged the album before Emi took it off their hands for mastering 20 years ago.
    The press release suggested that might be the case. Here's hoping, though I don't imagine it'll be a heavy-handed remaster either way.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

The press release suggested that might be the case. Here's hoping, though I don't imagine it'll be a heavy-handed remaster either way.
    It'll be worth buying either way. I only bought a few of the singles (Airbag and Paranoid Android) so it'll be nice to have all the b sides together on one disc.  
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

It'll be worth buying either way. I only bought a few of the singles (Airbag and Paranoid Android) so it'll be nice to have all the b sides together on one disc.  
    Like the previous special edition release that had the B-sides and some live/radio seasion tracks. That wasn't a band sanctioned release as far as I know but the new one is. 

This also has the studio recording of "Lift" as a big selling point. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4732
    20 years old and I still think its a steaming piece of shite.

Heigh ho.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Having been conned into buying The Bends on the strength of Street Spirit, I allowed myself to be conned into buying OK Computer on the strength of The Tourist, a masterpiece which was included in a Q magazine cover CD accompanied by a five-star review. I found it unlistenable as an album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    rlw said:
    20 years old and I still think its a steaming piece of shite.

Heigh ho.
    Oooooh - controversial! 

I agree though....  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I think you're being a bit harsh, that album cured me of my insomnia.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    I think the previous album ... The Bends is the masterpiece, but I like OK Computer 

Somewhere they are some Bob Clearmountain mixs of The Bends, Fake Plastic Trees for one which the band hated but I would love to hear them 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I was 17 when Ok computer came out. I was never a fan of Radiohead - but some of my misrerabilist mates where. I remember we spent a few weeks getting totally wasted on weed or shit e's and lying around on the floor in someones bedroom listening to Paranoid Android in the dark. lol. 

I learnt later to appreciate Radiohead, but Ive never been able to love em' like you do your favourite bands.