OK Computer is 20 years old.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    I learnt later to appreciate Radiohead, but Ive never been able to love em' like you do your favourite bands. 
    Rather like a '90s Dark Side of the Moon - an album you 'should' like - but which I never did. I just don't 'get' Radiohead in any way, shape or form. There's an unremitting dreariness about their music that doesn't move me at all. 

I borrowed the CD from a friend and forced myself to listen to is many times. I came to the conclusion that whatever genius it was purported to contain - it would never manifest itself to me....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I like the idea of the OK20 boxset thing, but I've heard all the tracks before, in one form or another. I'm not sure how much of this is a label-cash-cow-milking endeavor and how much is the band wanting to put it out, since obviously the publishing for everything from that era is still under EMI afaik.

And in other news, Blade Runner is set in 2019...
    Kyle Reese was sent back from 2029 to help Sarah Connor escape the Terminator. 

I like Radiohead but not in a rabid fanboi way. I'm good with nearly everything from the Bends up to In Rainbows, haven't heard anything past that as they were getting a bit samey 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    bigjon said:
    Having been conned into buying The Bends on the strength of Street Spirit, I allowed myself to be conned into buying OK Computer on the strength of The Tourist, a masterpiece which was included in a Q magazine cover CD accompanied by a five-star review. I found it unlistenable as an album.
    The Tourist is great and one of my favourite Radiohead songs.  When I first heard it, I'd never really consciously heard such expensive sounding chords before.
  • I learnt later to appreciate Radiohead, but Ive never been able to love em' like you do your favourite bands. 
    Rather like a '90s Dark Side of the Moon - an album you 'should' like - but which I never did. I just don't 'get' Radiohead in any way, shape or form. There's an unremitting dreariness about their music that doesn't move me at all. 

I borrowed the CD from a friend and forced myself to listen to is many times. I came to the conclusion that whatever genius it was purported to contain - it would never manifest itself to me....
    Exactly that. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12961
    OK Computer is infinitely better than anything dreary prog bores Floyd ever committed to tape. 

And I say that as someone who enjoys radiohead, but doesn't really listen to them that often. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    Guitarists are a fickle bunch. OK Computer is one of the greatest records ever made.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5174
    Guitarists are a fickle bunch. OK Computer is one of the greatest records ever made.

It took me several listens to get it (I wanted The Bends Vol 2, partly because I was late to the party with that record and hadn't had time to want something different), and not all of it is as effective now as it was in 1997, but it's a bloody good record.

It suffers a bit from what I think puts people who weren't alive in the 60s off the Beatles- it was so influential on the sound of alternative rock for those few years that if you weren't there at the time it sounds like a load of stuff you've heard before, but only because everyone was trying to sound like Radiohead.

IMO the place where reluctantly commercial alternative rock Radiohead and wilfully head-up-arse electronic experimental Radiohead meet, and sound best.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11903
    Ultimately, sin of sins to say this, its just music.  If you don't like it after a couple of listens, then there probably is more music you will love you could be listening to instead of trying to like something you just don't!

I've never liked Dark Side Of The Moon either, but I love OK Computer.  In fact, I still think it is one of the best albums ever made.

It is one area where everyone's mileage will always vary A LOT! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I loved the album in 1997, now I don't bother listening to it as most of their subsequent releases have completely eclipsed it in my opinion.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4814
    My first proper exposure to Radiohead was their live performance of Paranoid Android on Later. Blown away and I've been hooked ever since. Don't like everything they've ever done, but I'm always interested in what they put out. OK Computer is an excellent piece of work from beginning to end - and that's my favourite way of listening to it.

Music, eh? So many people, so many opinions. Long may it continue! 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    They lost me at the time because I too wanted The Bends II but I've since semi caught up. Kid A is particularly fantastic imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

My first proper exposure to Radiohead was their live performance of Paranoid Android on Later. Blown away and I've been hooked ever since. Don't like everything they've ever done, but I'm always interested in what they put out. OK Computer is an excellent piece of work from beginning to end - and that's my favourite way of listening to it.

Music, eh? So many people, so many opinions. Long may it continue! 
    Yeah I remember that performance too, it was one of the most amazing live music moments I'd seen on TV.  I'd never seen something as complex as that being performed live before.  
    This here's pretty good: