Nice finish on Dave Brock's LP.

What's Hot

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    daveyh said:
    Fernandes I think

Hmmm? Good call but I can't find anything online that quite matches that headstock and logo position.
    That’s definitely a Fernandes, you can see the Sustainer logo on the neck pickup too. It looks like a Revolver Pro, an older one with the non reverse headstock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    Couldn't care less about the guitar finish, Dave's face or his sandal crimes against public decency. I'm more impressed by the lesser spotted Gibson Nighthawk in the background  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    First band I ever saw.  I've no idea what he was playing in 1979.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Holy thread resurrection Batman.

6 1/2 years past, hope you're all doing well.
    pmbomb said:

Shit, I didn't even notice.  Never mind us, I hope Dave Brock is doing well, given the state of him back in 2017.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    pmbomb said:

Well, you can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave... 
    Many happy returns  :)
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1860
    Sassafras said:
    It's better than the finish on his face.
    WTF's going on with that man's face?
    It probably had Stacia on it too many times

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The guitar in the OP doesn't look like a Fernandes to me, especially a Revolver Pro - they are double cut Strat shape all the ones that I have played or seen, and the only Fernandes that I can think of that is the same shape as an LP is the Fernandes Monterey Elite, and they have a different knob layout not to mention dot inlays instead of block inlays.

The guitar in the OP doesn't look like a Fernandes to me, especially a Revolver Pro - they are double cut Strat shape all the ones that I have played or seen, and the only Fernandes that I can think of that is the same shape as an LP is the Fernandes Monterey Elite, and they have a different knob layout not to mention dot inlays instead of block inlays.

The one in the OP's a Les Paul.  The Fernandes is further down the page.
  • Philly_Q said:
    First band I ever saw.  I've no idea what he was playing in 1979.

That'd be an Ibanez Artist at that time.

^^  @steamabacus thanks for that!  Two or three years after that, an Ibanez Artist AR-300 was one of the first guitars I fantasised about owning (I never did actually buy one). 

But it definitely wasn't the Brock connection, I had no idea that was what he was playing.  In 1979 I hadn't started playing guitar.  Arguably I still haven't...
  • Philly_Q said:
    ^^  @steamabacus thanks for that!  Two or three years after that, an Ibanez Artist AR-300 was one of the first guitars I fantasised about owning (I never did actually buy one). 

But it definitely wasn't the Brock connection, I had no idea that was what he was playing.  In 1979 I hadn't started playing guitar.  Arguably I still haven't...

He was still using it in '82/'83 which is when I started playing guitar. I couldn't work out what it was, thought it might be a double-cut Gibson (no internet back then, just seeing it live and blurry photos).

I ended up getting an AR100 a little bit later but not because of Brock - my first guitar (a Vulcan Les Paul copy) was stolen and a mate just happened to be selling his Ibanez. It was only later I found out that was what Brock was playing (all be it a more up-market model than mine).

Still got the old Artist. Gave it some tlc last week - clean up, some Montepresso relic wax on the fretboard, fresh set of strings and some new knobs.

^^ I still think they're cool guitars.  I can remember seeing quite a few local bands during my university years who had Ibanez AR-100s or the cheaper Musician models (MC-150 was it?).  I ended up buying a Hamer Special, which was a similar-ish sunburst double cutaway, but a bit cheaper (at the time).
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    The Ibanez always makes me think of Andy Partridge from XTC. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Horrible. Truly horrible.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11824
    Philly_Q said:

He was still using it in '82/'83 which is when I started playing guitar. I couldn't work out what it was, thought it might be a double-cut Gibson (no internet back then, just seeing it live and blurry photos).

I ended up getting an AR100 a little bit later but not because of Brock - my first guitar (a Vulcan Les Paul copy) was stolen and a mate just happened to be selling his Ibanez. It was only later I found out that was what Brock was playing (all be it a more up-market model than mine).

Still got the old Artist. Gave it some tlc last week - clean up, some Montepresso relic wax on the fretboard, fresh set of strings and some new knobs.

I do like your kaftan I must say.
  • Kaftan? =) 

I think you must be referring to the piece of cloth keeping the dust off my Blackstar HT-5. Not really large enough to wear without a good deal of indecent exposure (even if I'm not QUITE the size of Demis Roussos)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    Sassafras said:
    It's better than the finish on his face.
    WTF's going on with that man's face?
    It's what happens when you reach 75 years old.... you know, wrinkles and stuff, and there's no need to shave and impress the groupies ... but kudos to Brock, because I've heard Francis Rossi complain like a trooper it's getting harder to tour/play live, yet he's only 67.

I prefer what Brock's got on the stand behind him ... a Gibson Nighthawk re-issue. He's been known to play near anything and just gets on with it. Sometimes that's how I think it should be, although I appreciate what we play can be dictated by the £££ we have available, or what won't get damaged in a live band situation.

But back to the guitar in the photo, the LP's appearance is hampered by the lighting. It looks like is has the 'spaghetti-sauce' finish made famous by Heinz?
    Francis Rossi is 74 years young.
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 706
    edited October 2023
    fandango said: It's what happens when you reach 75 years old.... 
    He's 82...as much as anything else I think he wanted to live long enough to see Nik Turner die. I mean, there's band member acrimony, there's raw unbridled hatred, and then there's how Brock felt about Turner...
    edited October 2023
    Last two comments about ages... this thread started in 2017.  We're all six or seven years older now.