Dorje' gear nicked in Berlin

What's Hot

Comments

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Fortunately you can travel the length and breadth of the EU without a passport with the exception of......oh. 
    I'm not sure that is an advantage. Why would you want people wandering around the continent willy and quite literally nilly?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I wonder if you can go onto a gofundme and add £-100 and see if the number goes down
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    joeyowen said:
    I wonder if you can go onto a gofundme and add £-100 and see if the number goes down
    You should try that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    As has been said, the tour manager is at fault. 1) He should organise insurance cover, all paperwork, safe places to stay for equipment and crew for the tour, 2) He should be ensuring that no harm befalls the band or the equipment so that the tour can proceed without break/incident. There isn't that much more to being a tour manager, really... so competent? Really?

Bad show for the guys involved, though and hope they get it resolved soon.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    impmann said:
    As has been said, the tour manager is at fault. 1) He should organise insurance cover, all paperwork, safe places to stay for equipment and crew for the tour, 2) He should be ensuring that no harm befalls the band or the equipment so that the tour can proceed without break/incident. There isn't that much more to being a tour manager, really... so competent? Really?

I believe that the guy that is/was the tour manager is the same guy that edits the YouTube videos. 

Which is either a staggeringly fortunate spread of skill sets or a case of 'jobs for the boys'

A chap I know does tour manager duties for a number of American bands across the Uk and Europe and described it as 'the single biggest fucking headache that lasts 2 months'

definitely one for someone with experience.  
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    impmann said:

I believe that the guy that is/was the tour manager is the same guy that edits the YouTube videos. 

Which is either a staggeringly fortunate spread of skill sets or a case of 'jobs for the boys'

A chap I know does tour manager duties for a number of American bands across the Uk and Europe and described it as 'the single biggest fucking headache that lasts 2 months'

definitely one for someone with experience.  
    A case of saving money no doubt. 

The ethos seems to be DIY so far as possible and I imagine this tour has been run as cheaply as possible.

Learning curve for all of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3074
    This sadly shows the difference between a touring act and a pretend band bankrolled by a guitar shop. I hope they're all ok though, genuinely. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    This sadly shows the difference between a touring act and a pretend band bankrolled by a guitar shop. I hope they're all ok though, genuinely. 
    That's not fair.
    They are a very good band. They are selling out shows. They've just done it in a different way.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I have to say I feel more inclined to donate some money to the Chris Parker gofundme
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    That's not fair.
    They are a very good band. They are selling out shows. They've just done it in a different way.
    I'd agree with that. This is also their first European tour - regardless of how experienced the manager is, it's never going to be a smooth experience (although, as noted, insurance is the first thing a manager should be setting up).

Also...I don't believe they're bankrolled by a guitar shop. They all have a certain amount of income generated by working for the shop, but I've never seen anything to indicate that Andertons have anything at all to do with Dorje. Even from the very early days (when it was The Rob Chapman Band), it was clearly isolated from any of Rob's other activities.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    joeyowen said:
    You should try that. 
    I should try with a smaller amount, what if I actually give the £100

That's too much good deed for one day
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Total piss-take, presumably thought they'd scrimp on insurance or couldn't be bothered to organise any and now expect the public to bail them out. What sort of zombie donates to this sort of appeal anyway? Take responsibility for you own equipment guys.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    edited May 2017
    When Guthrie had his gear nicked in Rome, he just accepted it and his FANS set up a go-fund me to cover it - that's legit. 

This is...  well, the only word I can think of for it is begging.

EDIT - How long before there's a youtube video begging for money as well?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Gulliver said:

EDIT - How long before there's a youtube video begging for money as well?
    With what cameras? 
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    digitalscream said:

This is also their first European tour - regardless of how experienced the manager is, it's never going to be a smooth experience (although, as noted, insurance is the first thing a manager should be setting up).
    Anyone who leaves personal valuables and passports in a vehicle has failed the basic *tourist* intelligence test, let alone anything to do with being a 'tour manager'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I was just reading, drones have been taken too.

Why on earth are they taking drones on their tour?  I always thought tours were roughing it in a transit, not sleeping with 17k of tech (let alone gear) and playing with drones.

This isn't a dig btw, sheer curiosity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I think that's a bit harsh dude, they are a very very good band by all accounts, hitting top spot on iTunes is no easy task. 

They are talented and hardworking, personalities aside, I like their music.

Obviously a steep if unneccesary learning curve.     
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    I think that's a bit harsh dude, they are a very very good band by all accounts, hitting top spot on iTunes is no easy task
    Exactly, and with an EP that they recorded entirely by themselves - that's even harder.

The only difference between them and any of the other DIY bands out there is that they got a head start with Rob's fanbase baked in. If it was down to being "bankrolled by a guitar shop", you'd be seeing tons of marketing everywhere to get them to this point...which is not the case.

I'm fine with criticising Rob (or anyone) for things he's done wrong, but this particular assertion is way off.
    <space for hire>
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    They could at least offer an album download or something ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I have nothing against Chappers and actually quite like what he does; however, this unfavourable act of fans-please-pay-for-our-very-expensive-cock-up makes me less inclined to pay for a ticket to one of their gigs, even if I felt like going.