Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Anyone been? I went on Saturday and was very impressed. I won't say too much about it but if you are a Gilmour/Floyd fan, it's on for another couple of months and you really must go!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    I've got tickets to go in August.  I'm a huge Floyd fan so I'm really looking forward to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Interactive Dave Gilmour?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I really wanted to go until I saw the ticket price. Too much for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12068
    I went today
    well worth £20, I really enjoyed it

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Gassage is probably one of the exhibits. 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I went today
    well worth £20, I really enjoyed it

What were your favourite bits?
    the gear and the vibe, loved remixing "money".
    Really nicely done, they had smells that took me back to being a kid, I don't know what they were
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    I went last weekend and thought it was excellent. Try to go at an off peak time if you can, its pretty busy on the weekends
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    on the tech side, they have a bank of servers out front, and your position is tracked: what comes through your headphones is pertinent to where you stand, so where you can remix "money", there are 3 desks, and it knows which one you are nearest, and plays the mix from that one, the audio from each video exhibit, with proper fades in and out etc, it is very well done 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    I'm going about a week before it ends - really looking forward to it.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    I saw it after hours where they had a free bar in the foyer  first. Was excellent to go round slightly sozzled. 
    terada said:
    I saw it after hours where they had a free bar in the foyer  first. Was excellent to go round slightly sozzled. 
    Jammy git - how did you manage that?
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    If you like Pink Floyd, it has all the boxes ticked, and all the significant guitars - apart from Sid's tele- on display. The footage of David Gilmour demonstrating the black strat at abbey rd is worth the admission alone, particularly as you can examine the actual guitar, behind glass in the same display. Go at off peak times if possible.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Might be going this Monday,is it possible to buy ticket on the door or online only?
    Might be going this Monday,is it possible to buy ticket on the door or online only?
    I just turned up at 12:10 on Thursday, next slot available was 12:45
    I suppose buy online if you want to be sure

They told me 1.5 to 2 hours to go round
    I did it in 30 minutes, but I always do double speed museum visits, so allow at least one hour, 2 if you want to read everything and watch the video at the end in full
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2355
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    Might be going this Monday,is it possible to buy ticket on the door or online only?

I did it in 30 minutes, but I always do double speed museum visits, so allow at least one hour, 2 if you want to read everything and watch the video at the end in full

I didn't see you there, my timeslot was 1 o'clock, I suppose it took me and my friend about an hour and a half to do the walk-through.  We did stop and listen to most of the videos in the exhibition.  First two rooms were very crowded, I don't know if people thought that was it and just stayed in there, once you moved into the next couple of rooms it wasn't so crowded and you could get much closer to the glass cabinets.  I thought it was brilliant where you could do the live mixing.  I think my favourite part of the exhibition with the last few rooms and then the last room where you could sit down on the floor and watch  a concert.  As I said in the other post worth every penny of the entrance fee, and of course you could spend a week just doing the V&A anyway and then another week over the road in the science museum.

When we come out the V&A we went for a walk and I found it most odd that  in the disabled parking bays we saw a Ferrari a Porsche several Jags a Bentley  and an Aston Martin, but there again I suppose if you live in Knightsbridge what else would you expect, they did have blue badges.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:

I didn't see you there, my timeslot was 1 o'clock, I suppose it took me and my friend about an hour and a half to do the walk-through.  We did stop and listen to most of the videos in the exhibition.  First two rooms were very crowded, I don't know if people thought that was it and just stayed in there, once you moved into the next couple of rooms it wasn't so crowded and you could get much closer to the glass cabinets.  I thought it was brilliant where you could do the live mixing.  I think my favourite part of the exhibition with the last few rooms and then the last room where you could sit down on the floor and watch  a concert.  As I said in the other post worth every penny of the entrance fee, and of course you could spend a week just doing the V&A anyway and then another week over the road in the science museum.

When we come out the V&A we went for a walk and I found it most odd that  in the disabled parking bays we saw a Ferrari a Porsche several Jags a Bentley  and an Aston Martin, but there again I suppose if you live in Knightsbridge what else would you expect, they did have blue badges.
    how long was the concert? I assumed it was just Comfortably numb, since the last 3 minutes of that were on when I went in

The lyric sheets for the Wall were more interesting than I thought when I got home, I think there are ideas in there that did not make the final versions (unless my memory is going)

I had a look at the lap steels in there
    One of the 3 that I bought from you now contains 2 EMGs, and sounds very Gilmoury
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Went with the missus today.  Whilst I thought the displays and what was on offer to see was superb, I was disappointed with some environmental issues.  Firstly, it was ridiculously packed, most of the displays were 4-5 people deep and waiting to get near the front to see what was inside was extremely tiring and time consuming.  I think some of the crowd could have been alleviated had the tour started off in a larger more open room like the Animals/The Wall room, but the first section created a bottle neck which made things move extremely slowly.

Secondly, I wasn't overly impressed with the audio facility. It seemed to me that the automatic cue to turn on the sound etc wasn't very good, my wife thought the same, the range was poor and we'd move to a screen and couldn't get the audio. Maybe some of the problem goes back to the sheer number of people. I couldn't get close enough to the screens for the audio to activate due to a crowd of people.  This meant I was standing looking at the screen for extended periods with no audio or the wrong audio altogether and wasn't actually getting the correct audio until the third or fourth play through of the video.

It was great to see some of Gilmour's guitars though.  The Money remixing section was great, and that entire room in general had some interesting exhibits.  The Wall/Animals room was very well laid out and allowed you a bit of space despite the fact there were still a lot of people there.  My favourite part was the very first exhibit.  It was a letter written by Syd to Jenny Spires and gives a real insight into the way his brain functioned. I'm a huge fan of Syd in general and this was a fantastic piece to see, so be sure not to be tempted to skip past it.

I recommend seeing this exhibition if you are Floyd fan but strongly advise that you visit off-peak, I know we would have enjoyed it more if we had done so.  Unfortunately we don't live near London and my wife can't take leave right now due to work commitments, so we had to visit on a weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    When I went, there were people taking photographs of literally everyone. One chap took 20 photos of one exhibit alone. I thought that was pretty shit.