Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bedroom Amps/Set Ups

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    @nickb_boy - was it you that won the recent ebay offering then?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    @nickb_boy - pics and soundbytes are obligatory as is knowing how much you paid??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Mmm... I'm gassing for TK Falcon for years now... They seem to be great sounding and looking little amps. Attenuator on its own costs over 600quid,so having it built in this amp is good value, even new.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    @57Deluxe Don't worry I'll post some pics once it arrives and I manage to pull myself away from it for a minute!
    @BigBearKris That makes me feel even better with the price I paid! Can't wait till Friday for it to arrive and I get a chance to crank it up.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    nickb_boy said:
    @57Deluxe No that one went up way beyond my budget. This one is in the Brown and Cream finish so slightly more subtle in the lounge than the Turquoise!
    The one that was on Coda Music for a while?
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    everything can be loud enough to annoy people through thin walls, probably even the speakers in your phone can. 

What I wonder about is whether all the modelling amps and similar tools are actually useful as practice tools - sure, they may give a good approximation of a recorded guitar but do they show up the warts in your playing? My experience with modellers is limited to an old PockedPod but it sounds rather synthetic and overprocessed, even when just using an amp model with a tiny bit of reverb and no other effects. To practice, I much prefer any tube amp turned down very low and any overdrive pedal as that will show me how I really sound like - whereas I am suspicious of modellers which seem to flatter and deceive the player. Am I wrong? I may well be, having only limited experience of what modellers offer these days. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I'd rather be flattered and deceived thank you. Any amp is ok as long as 1) it doesn't need cranking to sound good 2) the volume knob is subtle enough between 0 and 1. I used an axefx and loved it, but I'm flogging it now as I now use a blackstar ID60 head and once again I love it.
  • NPP said:
    everything can be loud enough to annoy people through thin walls, probably even the speakers in your phone can. 

What I wonder about is whether all the modelling amps and similar tools are actually useful as practice tools - sure, they may give a good approximation of a recorded guitar but do they show up the warts in your playing? My experience with modellers is limited to an old PockedPod but it sounds rather synthetic and overprocessed, even when just using an amp model with a tiny bit of reverb and no other effects. To practice, I much prefer any tube amp turned down very low and any overdrive pedal as that will show me how I really sound like - whereas I am suspicious of modellers which seem to flatter and deceive the player. Am I wrong? I may well be, having only limited experience of what modellers offer these days. 
    I find the opposite.  Valve amps are very flattering, assuming it's a half decent circuit. 

Most I've tried you'd have a hard time sounding properly 'bad' through, the dynamics are easy... Whereas dynamics on solid state amps and modellers are very immediate and hard - if you cock up, it's very obvious.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited February 2014
    @axisus said:   I used an axefx and loved it, but I'm flogging it now as I now use a blackstar ID60 head and once again I love it.
    So why have you stopped using the AxeFx ?

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I totally agree that a "proper" amp sounds best but for portability, jamming along to mp3s, built in great fx an a decent headphone out the THR is great. But if the OP just wants the guitar amp part, then there are plenty of options.

My HRD sounds fantastic at any level. It's just too big to keep Mrs Chuff happy. And it's a bit of a pain to lift into the lounge to have a quick blast when the footy's on!

Having said all of that, I'm thinking of moving my THR on for a small valvey amp like a Cub12 or VC15 so that I can whip out my pedalboard again and not put my back out switching between rooms...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Chuffola;161401" said:
    I totally agree that a "proper" amp sounds best but for portability, jamming along to mp3s, built in great fx an a decent headphone out the THR is great. But if the OP just wants the guitar amp part, then there are plenty of options.

My HRD sounds fantastic at any level. It's just too big to keep Mrs Chuff happy. And it's a bit of a pain to lift into the lounge to have a quick blast when the footy's on!

Having said all of that, I'm thinking of moving my THR on for a small valvey amp like a Cub12 or VC15 so that I can whip out my pedalboard again and not put my back out switching between rooms...
    Why don't you try a tweaker this time? You can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay and you had a cub before didn't you? I think you'd like the 6v6 loaded tweaker. Also sounds pretty good nice and low and takes pedals really well.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Hmm.... Interesting suggestion. Must have a look on eBay.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Whilst there are some here that aren't wildly keen on them, I really like my Tubemeister 18 combo. It has some great tones, is small and portable (why I got it) and the power scaling makes it very late night friendly.
  • My 50w Vintage-Modern combo with PPMV is killer at low home volumes, add in a Dirty Little Secret and she's really rockin !
  • CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39

I have a Blackstar HT5 and happy with it, but I'm intrigued by the ID:Core models just announced at NAMM. They seem to get good reviews so far, and they have the same modelling as the bigger ID amps but without the valve power feature, which for home I'm not bothered about.

Just pre-ordered one but not available till end of March apparently.

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    So, just to chime back into this thread I started. Ive got a Fender Mustang 2 which is good but its a bit big for a bedroom amp, a Vox Mini3 which is great but it does get noisy with onboard effects and its not footswitchable and Pod Farms which is great but doesnt do clean at decent volumes. Ive had a Blackstar HT5 and that was fine but I didnt take to the clean channel and the OD channel was ok but needed abit of volume to make it rock. 

So, in my ideal world, I think I need something thats 2 channel with footswitch, a master volume so I can have super cleans and some dirt, 1 watt, non-modeller. Not much to ask is it?