Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bedroom Amps/Set Ups

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
Has there been a thread on this? I keen to know what people use a quiet home set up. Ideally, looking at something you could talk over and maybe give the beans to if you lived in a mid terraced house but sounds good too... (Awaits an onslaught of Yamaha THR's)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Yep. THR it is. See: many other threads  :D
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    Chuffola said:
    Yep. THR it is. See: many other threads  :D
    Or a Yam THR perhaps?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I have a Jet City JCA50H and Montage 1x12" (Celestion V-type) in the office, for during-the-day use - my neighbours are pretty tolerant but my wife isn't...however, it still sounds great at low volumes.

For evening use, I just plug my AMT C-2 into my laptop audio interface, run it through Reaper with cab impulses and out through my monitors or headphones. Sounds better than any modeller I've tried.
    <space for hire>
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I honestly don't believe in all this 'bedroom amp' malarkey. Some of the best sounding amps I've had at bedroom levels have been 100w monsters!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Well there is that little 1 watt valve blackstar which when the THR came out I was told that at time it was the best seller small practice amp. 

I played that the THR and the Roland Micro thing. For me it was THR.

I have a couple of other little amps Marshall and some cheap chinese valve amps I started to mess around modding and I hanker after a good Champ Kit or a Princeton Kit with some sort of power soak, as the neighbours will never wear that let alone the Mrs :-)

If you have good PC speakers/headphones  and a PC or Mac there really are some totally impressive amp plugins that will do loads of clever stuff. 

In the end the THR is as plug and go as it gets.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2014
    It depends how big you're bedroom is and whether your house is detached. It also depends on whether you want to play twangy country or 7 string monster metal riffs.

I have a Yamaha THR [for convenience] but leaving that aside I have anumber of amps I can use ranging from a Cornford Harlequin to a 5 watt Fender Champ, Blackstar HT5 and a Cube amp. I can easily get a decent tone at a reasonable volume using a small tube amp. In a mid-terraced house you could get away with a Blackstar HT-1 or HT-5.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I use my THR10 at TV watching volume in a terrace house. Fantastic bit of kit.
  • I don't like the THR, sounded like an iPod Dock to me. My current bedroom amp is a Hot Rod Deluxe with a volume box in the loop, minute control over the volume that way. Before that I had a Blackstar ht5 which was great just a bit too gainy for me, but seemed the same good tone whatever the volume was set at so perfect for home, plus you can use the loop return for a different preamp input
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I've just bought a Blackstar HT1 as I wanted to use the same pedal board that I play through my HT60 Soloist. I still can't believe that i can get such a good sound out of such a comically small box
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I've tried all sorts and moved them on, the yamaha included (really liked that actually but wasn't using it). But i have to say i am loving the tech 21 Liverpool put through a tube amp and turned down. Unity volume is about 11o'clock, but turn it down to 8 o'clock and the thing has the most fabulous compressed drive sound, like a properly cranked amp but very quiet. Amazing box, and the EQ controls are so powerful you can get almost anything out of it.

• I use a Vox DA5 at home, it's a great little amp for bedroom playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2014
    for spare bedroom playing - Rivera Chubster  (I only use the THR downstairs, it is great tho....)

you dont have to crank a valve amp you know
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I'm no snob when it comes to digital, I gig with a multi-FX direct to PA, but a Princeton with a couple of pedals is the sweetest-sounding TV-volume rig I've ever had.
    No emulations, no unnatural gate cutoffs or dynamics, just real, lovely tone.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12340
    Superchamp XD, absolutely love mine.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I use my Mesa Express 5:25 at home (apartment) when there's noone else in, and occasionally a Fender Mustang 1. More than anything though I'm using Jamup Pro XT with iphone or ipad with headphones and it's brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    The Swart Night Light works very well on sub 22w tube amps. Also has a cool blue/purple light  :) You can get it down to TV watching levels, at its most attenuated, if you want. Much better than the Dr. Z Brake Lite, which is more suited to taking off some dbs in a live situation. I also think it sounds better than the BL.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Babones said:
     Much better than the Dr. Z Brake Lite, which is more suited to taking off some dbs in a live situation. I also think it sounds better than the BL.

ought to for nearly twice the price     :D    
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I live in a flat, so for me it depends what time in the evening I'm playing.

During the week, if I get started by 8pm then I'll play through my Egnator Tweaker and cab, running the amp clean, with a pedal or two.  Starting after 9pm I break out the THR5, and any later than that, and I'm unplugged.

The THR is great.... but if I had to choose I'd still keep always prefer the Tweaker..... played at what I'd call decent music listening volume.

The Zoom G3 or similar into your hifi amp is also a good option at home I reckon. 

• Hopefully only slightly off topic but which headphones are best suited to guitar? I have a few pairs that are good for digital music but just don't quite cut it through the HT1s headphone out. Cheers. Kelvin
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    I got a Greta for pretty much this. I wasn't wildly impressed with it through its own speaker, but I got a 10" cab for it which changed the sound greatly. Sounds good to my ears for quiet playing. I like it.