Scratched glasses

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12406
    Metal polish will work. The best stuff is jewellers rouge but it's not that easy to get hold of. Apparently it's what they used to use to polish the scratches out of Spitfire windscreens in WW2. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    /\ polish or Polish?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I don't believe it is glass- I thought it was a different type of hardened plastic.
    Pretty sure mine were described as glass-coated, although it was a while ago… I actually need new ones anyway!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    boogieman said:
    Metal polish will work. The best stuff is jewellers rouge but it's not that easy to get hold of. Apparently it's what they used to use to polish the scratches out of Spitfire windscreens in WW2. 
    I'm sure you can get rouge relatively easily, being able to use it to polish glass might be the hard part. It's a skill on its own
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• DominicDominic Frets: 16140
    boogieman said:
    I'm sure you can get rouge relatively easily, being able to use it to polish glass might be the hard part. It's a skill on its own
    Yes ,this 
    OR use Autosol chrome polish
    Fast Lens in Edgeware Middx -the cheapest prescription glasses in the world made while you wait 
    Got my Prada frames and prescription lenses for £48 all in
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17661
    tFB Trader
    They are coated unfortunately
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Then unfortunately polishing is not an option - will need new lenses
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Gagaryn said:
    Then unfortunately polishing is not an option - will need new lenses
    ^this^ I've lost count of the times I've ruined mine  using the grinder on metalwork,  I keep forgetting they're not safety glasses.

I get new lens fitted in the old frames at the opticians, I can get by with a pair of those ready made readers until they're done.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited June 2017
    I've got a friend who spent loads on new double glazing before realising he had a scratch on his specs......

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom