DIY tips

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33828
    equalsql said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Flanging_Fred I can't believe you've asked that as I read the answer to that exact problem last week!!

The solution is.... Vaseline.  When you're done sealing stuff, pull the plunger back a bit and hopefully the sealant will retract a bit in the nozzle, then push a cm or so of Vaseline down the end of the nozzle.  This keeps an airtight seal and the contents never dry out.  When you go to reuse it, just squeeze out the Vaseline until you get just sealant again and you're good to go.

Works with all kinds of tube-based stuff that dries out apparently.
    Will KY Jelly work? B)
    No, but stretching a condom over it might.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    BigMonka said:
    Oh wow.  Thanks chaps I'll certainly be giving some of these ideas a go.  The Vaseline idea sounds like it may have legs, also the plumbers tape (I assume PTFE stuff).  It just. So happens I have both in my guitar toolbox.

Does anyone else have any other DIY tips to share? It could turn into a useful thread...
    I'm intrigued as to the reason for PTFE tape in your guitar toolbox?
    Wobbly trem arms. Put a bit around the thread tightens them up a bit. It also worked on a worn floyd rose stud thread.
    Ooh smart, I'll be using that trick
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It will only dry out in the actual nozzle itself 

Do yourself a favour like I did and buy a batch of spare nozzles on eBay. I bought a pack of 50 and they cost peanuts and I don't lose out on quality silicone anymore 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
    BigMonka said:
    Oh wow.  Thanks chaps I'll certainly be giving some of these ideas a go.  The Vaseline idea sounds like it may have legs, also the plumbers tape (I assume PTFE stuff).  It just. So happens I have both in my guitar toolbox.

Does anyone else have any other DIY tips to share? It could turn into a useful thread...
    But what is the Vaseline in there for? ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33828
    BigMonka said:

Usually used for lubricating nuts.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3057
    octatonic said:
    BigMonka said:

Usually used for lubricating nuts.
    Yes. Yes. That is exactly what it is for. Yes. Definitely.  Nicely lubricated nuts is very important.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12411
    edited June 2017
    What I do is unscrew the nozzle and put a piece of plastic bag over the end of the cartridge, then screw the nozzle back on. The sealant dries out in the nozzle but it's easily pushed out when it's dried and set. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    You unscrew the nozzle and indeed ad a fair few layers of clingfilm or even any plastic bag weight there - not at end of nozzle. If need to detach nozzle for space saving elastic band it over...

Word to Wise: If you store in garden shed then vermin WILL bite through the tube plastics - even if is a brand new unopened tube! AND  - especially Silicone. Seems they can detect the smell of the acetic acid but when they get to it don't like it! Result - dead tube when needed. Store indoors.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>