DIY tips

What's Hot
Does anyone have any tips how I can stop sealant/adhesive cartidges drying out between useage?

I'm redecorating my cloakroom at the moment but everytime I get a cartidge of silicon sealant I use about 5% of it and then it goes in the garage for "next time".  But every time I do this it dries out by the time I next need it next (which could be some a long time to be fair).   I'm just tired of throwing out nearly full cartridges.

cling film over the end?  Nail as a spingott?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4227
    Stick a long screw in the nozzle, keeps them for a bit longer but not forever.

Interested to see if there are any more magic tips!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Some of the fancier tubes of sealant come with screw caps which help a bit.
    I saw something on facebook the other day about melting a bit of plastic milk bottle over the end, but it seemed too much like hard work to me! http://www.instructables.com/id/Resealing-Half-Used-Caulk-Tubes/

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33831
    edited June 2017
    I put a plastic barrier over it- using plumbers tape and then jam the cap back on after that.
    It doesn't stop it completely but it is usually ok for one or two more uses.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10321
    edited June 2017
    Some tubes come with their own screw caps, but if they don't I usually seal it with a few wraps of electrical tape.If it does go off,it's usually only the silicon in the nozzle that sets and you can prize it out.

Alternatively, when you buy a new tube,don't cut the nozzle and use one off an old tube.You can then use the new,uncut nozzel to seal the tube.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    I put masking tape over the end, hanging upside seems to help too. Less air in contact with the glop left in the spout. Still need to fish out the plug from the spout and doesn't make 'em last forever but does seem to help.
    One thing that can help is to remove the plastic nozzle and clean it out- put the tape over the main cartridge and then reattach the clean nozzle.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7299
    just find more things to seal
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Run some sealant round the nozzle. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24425
    @Flanging_Fred I can't believe you've asked that as I read the answer to that exact problem last week!!

The solution is.... Vaseline.  When you're done sealing stuff, pull the plunger back a bit and hopefully the sealant will retract a bit in the nozzle, then push a cm or so of Vaseline down the end of the nozzle.  This keeps an airtight seal and the contents never dry out.  When you go to reuse it, just squeeze out the Vaseline until you get just sealant again and you're good to go.

Works with all kinds of tube-based stuff that dries out apparently.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24425
    Haha! You're a bad man Mr Breakstuff.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2791
    Wooden kebab skewers - through the nozzle a sufficient length then break off

next time take the cap/ nozzle off, mobilise the skewer again and bobs your uncle, nice open nozzle again, screw back on and off you go

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    ^ that's got to be more painful than Vaseline.

Sick bastard 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3060
    Oh wow.  Thanks chaps I'll certainly be giving some of these ideas a go.  The Vaseline idea sounds like it may have legs, also the plumbers tape (I assume PTFE stuff).  It just. So happens I have both in my guitar toolbox.

Does anyone else have any other DIY tips to share? It could turn into a useful thread...
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10321

Does anyone else have any other DIY tips to share? It could turn into a useful thread...
    Get someone else in to do it. :3
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Oh wow.  Thanks chaps I'll certainly be giving some of these ideas a go.  The Vaseline idea sounds like it may have legs, also the plumbers tape (I assume PTFE stuff).  It just. So happens I have both in my guitar toolbox.

I'm intrigued as to the reason for PTFE tape in your guitar toolbox?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3060
    edited June 2017
    BigMonka said:

Wobbly trem arms. Put a bit around the thread tightens them up a bit. It also worked on a worn floyd rose stud thread.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Mrs Stoo uses blu-tac.  She says it works well to seal the tube things.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    BigMonka said:

Wobbly trem arms. Put a bit around the thread tightens them up a bit. It also worked on a worn floyd rose stud thread.
    Yup.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6146
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Flanging_Fred I can't believe you've asked that as I read the answer to that exact problem last week!!

The solution is.... Vaseline.  When you're done sealing stuff, pull the plunger back a bit and hopefully the sealant will retract a bit in the nozzle, then push a cm or so of Vaseline down the end of the nozzle.  This keeps an airtight seal and the contents never dry out.  When you go to reuse it, just squeeze out the Vaseline until you get just sealant again and you're good to go.

Works with all kinds of tube-based stuff that dries out apparently.
    Will KY Jelly work? B)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"