Zoom MS-70CDR update

What's Hot
DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
I sold mine a while back, but always thought I'd pick up another one at some point.  Anyhoo, the v2.0 update has just been announced (51 extra effects) so now I'm definitely going to have to grab one again!  Details are here...

https://www.zoom-na.com/news/firmware-update-v20-ms-70cdr
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What. I need to do this for sure

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Cheers for this! I'll be updating mine asap :)

• Can someone tell me how good the tracking is on the octave and harmony effects, and if they're Polyphonic? Tempted to get this to replace my harmonist which I only use for 3 bars on one song!

is it true bypass/analog dry signal etc?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not true bypass.  Haven't tried new fx yet. But the harmonise bit isn't great on original. The reverb and delays are very good.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    Not using any of the pitch shifters on my unit. @colourofsound It's all a bit tinny digital so is best for reverbs like the man said
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    What are the phasers and flanges like?
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    Ooooh this is cool, will update mine tomorrow.

• Jetfire said:
    Woooshy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    @colourofsound  if the algorithms are the same as the ones on the G3 (I think they are) then all else being equal the pitch effects (except the analogue octave down model) are poop- disappointing tracking and tinny tone. And no, they aren't polyphonic.

Not that there's any guarantee that everything else *is* equal- there might be hardware differences that change things.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited June 2017
    This is fantastic news as I 'cursed' Zoom when they did the update just for the MS-50G. I even phoned and queried it with Zoom's UK distribution and they didn't think a firmware update was on the horizon for the MS-70 CDR and that was only weeks ago.

The one thing I'm looking forward to adding is the Auto-Wah/Envelope Filter as I've always rated the Zoom ones. The Phaser in the MS-70CDR needed improving and the Octaver and Pitch FX were 'OK' so if these have been improved and give you more control, then great.

Does anyone know of the Firmware Update affects your existing presets i.e. are they lost?
    EDIT: Page 23 of the manual states "Updating the Firmware will not erase saved patch memories".
    However, it might be an idea to note your settings, just in case.

This isn't the easiest of units to navigate or use live but once you 'get it' it's such a powerful, decent-sounding, useful Swiss Army Knife pedal for peanuts, especially bought used and now you have the updates, too. Delays, Reverb, Chorus are all good and don't forget, you get a tuner to boot.

Well-spotted OP @DarnWeight ;;;;;; 1 

Jetfire said:
    I like the flangers and the phasers in there, and i see the new update for the 70CDR has the ehx small stone in there which is very nice. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited June 2017
    Can someone tell me how good the tracking is on the octave and harmony effects, and if they're Polyphonic? Tempted to get this to replace my harmonist which I only use for 3 bars on one song!

is it true bypass/analog dry signal etc?
    Agreed with others, the pitch shifting sounds (regular and shimmer reverby stuff) aren't great - tracking's poor, tone is a bit weak too. Reverbs are excellent, delays are solid, and the modulation stuff is perfectly decent too. My main criticism is that there's so many choices - I just want a good flanger, for example, rather than scrolling through 10 different models trying to decide what's best.

It's buffered bypass, and I doubt analogue dry. That said, the buffered sound is fine, I have no qualms with it on my board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    I've updated my Firmware and straight off, I think the Octavers are stronger/better but they're still not quite there.

The Small Stone Phaser is nice and I'm really enjoying the Envelope Filters.

One thing I noticed when I had the MS-50G is that even when I turned off the preamps and used the stand alone effects like delay, chorus etc, my pedal chain didn't like it and everything seemed thin and slightly distorted, despite me turning individual levels down and that's the reason I sold it. When I tried the MS-70CDR, all that was gone and that's why it stayed and I love it. However, since updating the MS-70 today, I've noticed that thining, slight distorting of my overall sound again. I'd be interested to know if anyone else thinks the update has tampered with their overall sound and I'll reinvestigate. Issue (possibly my issue) aside, it's a welcome update to an already great pedal and getting all that useable stuff under one hood is just mad!

Just out of interest, where do people place theirs in their chain? Mine is the 2nd to last pedal before my delay as I tend to use it mostly as a second delay or for modulation effects. I just wonder if it needs to be somewhere else as I also use it for my tuner and it's not first in line and perhaps it will need to be if I intend using the Envelope Filters, Octavers and Phasers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the heads up.  Just waiting to see if they add an update for the g3  as well... I have a feeling they will... would be great to have particle verb on my g3  ;)
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    Yep, here's hoping for a G3 update too..

edited June 2017
    Have you even asked zoom for a G3 update?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Ready to do this update, but don't like the sound of what @Kebabkid said. Are we just talking the effect models, or the bypass tone too?

And to answer your question, mine is after my drives and before my delays. There's stuff I'd prefer to be pre-dirt, but for the majority of my uses for it, that's the place it makes most sense.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited June 2017
    Wish we could get some of this for the G3 - the Particle and Mangled verbs sound awesome

Good to get a 100% wet reverse too
    Stop crying, start buying
    edited June 2017
    @Cirrus - on the bypassed tone.

As mentioned, when I had the MS-50G, I used to think it was because of the overdrives, compression, preamps 'leaking through' as the problem went with the MS-70CDR but I can hear it again. The only 'culprit' from the former list would be the Compression or maybe it's because there's more fx (the manual says it requires a 500mA draw but we now know it's 125mA and 150mA, but I have that covered with my Cioks DC-10 power supply and correct output.
    Compare it and I suppose it is reversible if there is an issue i.e. remove the update but I'm also going to experiment with the placement of pedal in my chain.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    edited June 2017
    DesVegas said:
    Have you even asked zoom for a G3 update?
    No and given the G3 has recently been superceded, I doubt they'll bother. Probably worth an email though.