Zoom MS-70CDR update

What's Hot

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    Cirrus said:
    Ready to do this update, but don't like the sound of what @Kebabkid said. Are we just talking the effect models, or the bypass tone too?

And to answer your question, mine is after my drives and before my delays. There's stuff I'd prefer to be pre-dirt, but for the majority of my uses for it, that's the place it makes most sense.

I've got my M5 (which does a similar "swiss army knife" job in my rig) in one of these:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/boosters/effects-order-switcher/

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    Good call @english_bob and I have a mini-Keeley Looper pedal that can do that and I might introduce it to see if it makes a difference.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    Kebabkid said:
    Good call @english_bob and I have a mini-Keeley Looper pedal that can do that and I might introduce it to see if it makes a difference.
    Mine has the M5 in one loop, and in the other loop I have my dirt pedals, then the input of my amp, the effects send and my DD-500, so I can use the M5 for everything from wah-wah to reverb.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I emailed zoom ,the other month,asking about a g3 update. I had a generic reply that they had received it.. and that's all I got.... I never chased it up... :'(
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Think I'll do the update this evening, I've brought my pedalboard home for a bit of cheeky tinkering.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I found that turning the dialling the time control right back on the harmonizer have a much more natural sound, it also masked the bad tracking.

I place mine 2nd to last in the chain as well which helps with the tracking. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    OK, spent a wee while going through the effects with the updated firmware and I'm pretty impressed I have to say - to the point that I've rewired my board to have stereo outs, running L+R out the zoom and through my delay.

I *think* the pitch shifter tone sounds better, though I'd be interested to A/B with a non-updated pedal to see if that's wishful thinking on my part. The shimmer is still a bit ropey.

The new settings are cool.

My only criticism is that some of the effects seem to have a volume boost built in - I don't remember that being the case before. But it's only some. Take, for example, the small stone and clone models and compare their preset volumes to some of the flangers on offer. I mean, there's a master volume in almost all cases so it's not really an issue, it's just a bit of a roll-eyes thing because once you know that louder doesn't actually = better, it's a pain when effects try to hit you with that trick.
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    edited June 2017
    I have Not used it, not tried it yet, cannot vouch for it, but news of a 3rd party editors of the MS 50  is here. 

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/zoom-ms-50g-editor.736446/

Dont know if it works with the MS 70CDR or MS 100BT..... Will try it out when I have a spare hour. 

EDIT - I assume it wont work with the MS100bt. 
     Necro Bump

Although I updated the firmware on my Zoom MS 70CDR over a year ago, I'm still finding some of the imported pedals as they weren't arranged in a logical order within the menu e.g. Stone Phaser (Small Stone), Auto Wahs, Orange Limiter (Dan Armstrong) and they're rather good. However, the one that's really surprised me, and has just saved me buying another low gain overdrive, is the 'Echo/Drive'. I've just compared it to a couple of pedals at Andertons (JRockett .45 Caliber, JHS Bonsai) and it holds up very well.

Mmmm..given that I generally use one preset per song (modulation or pitch effect) or have unit as my 2nd delay or Reverb with something different to my Flashback, like a Slapback, because I find the switching between presets a bit faff when playing live, I'm considering getting a 2nd one but users, if you haven't given the 'Echo/Drive' and 'Orange Limiter' a go, try them :)

I don't suppose anyone's selling a MS 70CDR?
  • Cool. Sorry not selling my ms70cdr. 
    When updating the pedal ,does it wipe your saved settings etc? 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Kebabkid said:
     Necro Bump

Although I updated the firmware on my Zoom MS 70CDR over a year ago, I'm still finding some of the imported pedals as they weren't arranged in a logical order within the menu e.g. Stone Phaser (Small Stone), Auto Wahs, Orange Limiter (Dan Armstrong) and they're rather good. However, the one that's really surprised me, and has just saved me buying another low gain overdrive, is the 'Echo/Drive'. I've just compared it to a couple of pedals at Andertons (JRockett .45 Caliber, JHS Bonsai) and it holds up very well.

Mmmm..given that I generally use one preset per song (modulation or pitch effect) or have unit as my 2nd delay or Reverb with something different to my Flashback, like a Slapback, because I find the switching between presets a bit faff when playing live, I'm considering getting a 2nd one but users, if you haven't given the 'Echo/Drive' and 'Orange Limiter' a go, try them :)

I have an MS100 BT not doing anything if you're interested in buying @Kebabkid.   You might want to take a look before you make a decision though.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/multistomp/zoom-ms-100bt-multistomp-guitar-pedal-bluetooth
    Cool. Sorry not selling my ms70cdr. 
    When updating the pedal ,does it wipe your saved settings etc? 
    Nope. Mine all stayed as they were.

Just find a preset with one effect and scroll through and you'll come across the new stuff
    Kebabkid said:
     Necro Bump

I have an MS100 BT not doing anything if you're interested in buying @Kebabkid.   You might want to take a look before you make a decision though.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/multistomp/zoom-ms-100bt-multistomp-guitar-pedal-bluetooth
    Thanks at @bingefeller - if I go for another, it will be the MS 70CDR. I prefer not to have the preamps in the unit as when I had the MS 50G, I found it altered my core tone, even when switched off but not so with the MS 70.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:
     Necro Bump

Thanks at @bingefeller - if I go for another, it will be the MS 70CDR. I prefer not to have the preamps in the unit as when I had the MS 50G, I found it altered my core tone, even when switched off but not so with the MS 70.

No worries chief!
    One thing. Anyone know how to fix the following thing and this used to happen on my MS50G and I so I know it's me!!

Despite the pedal being on but not being engaged i.e. the red light is off , why, say on a Chorus/Delay preset is the delay ALWAYS on and then when I press the pedal ON, the Chorus fx kicks in or in some cases, the effects are always on even if the pedal is OFF? Is it something to do with the fx thru bit/routing?

I must confess the Chorus/Delay thing it's doing can be quite useful but obviously, I want to be able to switch on and off my fx.

Cheers
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Kebabkid said:
    One thing. Anyone know how to fix the following thing and this used to happen on my MS50G and I so I know it's me!!

Despite the pedal being on but not being engaged i.e. the red light is off , why, say on a Chorus/Delay preset is the delay ALWAYS on and then when I press the pedal ON, the Chorus fx kicks in or in some cases, the effects are always on even if the pedal is OFF? Is it something to do with the fx thru bit/routing?

I must confess the Chorus/Delay thing it's doing can be quite useful but obviously, I want to be able to switch on and off my fx.

Cheers
    Cos, this is the peculiar thing about the device, I’ve had one twice and couldn’t get my head round why they did it this way.

Basically, there is no bypass, the unit is always on - when you have a patch selected, the foot switch only controls the effects within a patch you have selected. I.e. in your example the chorus is being turned on or off within the patch.

To get around this you need to do the A/B/C patch cycle thingy and have one of the cycles as the fx-through (or whatever it’s called) “effect” on its own.

It’s bonkers, and was a deal-breaker for me, even though the unit is capable of some decent sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Dan.

It did it with a few patches I was mucking about with when I first got it but not my main ones and it's been fine but in the last couple of days, I've been programming quite a bit as I'd found some really good stuff and then this :(

After praising it again today and having already restricted myself to 'one patch per song' for live and changing it manually to suit because of the faff of cycling through, the Helix HX is starting to appeal again!

I've got a ticket with Zoom on this as on some presets it's fine and some I get the issue.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    The footswitch only turns on or off the effect in the display window. If your present has a delay and chorus,  and the chorus is in the window,  that's all that will turn on or off with the switch. You'll need to scroll across to the delay so that it is showing in the window to turn it on or off.
    If you want to turn an entire preset on or off, use the line selector "effect" at the start of the chain and leave it in the display window. That way , everything after it in the chain will be bypassed when you hit the footswitch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    Beexter said:
    The footswitch only turns on or off the effect in the display window. If your present has a delay and chorus,  and the chorus is in the window,  that's all that will turn on or off with the switch. You'll need to scroll across to the delay so that it is showing in the window to turn it on or off.
    If you want to turn an entire preset on or off, use the line selector "effect" at the start of the chain and leave it in the display window. That way , everything after it in the chain will be bypassed when you hit the footswitch. 
    That's exactly it @Beexter (in bold).  Thank you and I will try that
    EDIT: Worked as @Beexter mentioned - Thanks!