SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Best courier service for high value guitars?

What's Hot
Anyone recommend a secure and safe company for high end guitar couriering?
Insurance on a £2500 value guitar is making it £130 with postage - Parcelforce
Lots of companies only insure to £1000 it seems.
But I haven't tried all for a quote.
Advice please....thanks
Jon

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16214
    UPS by a long way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited June 2017
    Even if you spent that £130, you'd probably still not get your money back from Parcelforce, or any courier.

Send and hope in my experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    UPS every time for me.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1330
    Received 2 guitars off ups both were damaged .wouldn't touch with a barge pole ..asked for compo but nothing ..parcel force 48 gets a bad rep but I've sent over 200 guitars with not one received damaged ..I wrap them up well ....if guitar is serious money I would book a cheap train ride and arrange to meet at the station cup of coffee quick turn around ,job done !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • UPS here too....although I've never had to make a claim on a broken one, where I would imagine they're all the same slippery bastids.

It's why I don't want to courier a 2 grand acoustic I've got up at the moment, I have strong forebodings that it's "my" turn for a fuck up...I digress..

I've used interparcel multiple times by the way, many times UK and Abroad, without incident...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    UPS every time for me.
    Did the "long term on approval, no money will ever change hands, cos you're a fookin lovely bloke Paul " delivery of theTV yellow go by another company then Neil....?? the bastids, it's not arrived...

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Where are you sending the guitar to?  Is it abroad and if so, outside the EU?  Either way, I'd go with a multi-national such as UPS as if it was something that needed customs clearance they have the expertise to handle that so just adding to what everyone else has said, UPS :)

Not sure if you have already but it might worth checking out the prices via a broker such as Interparcel or Parcel2Go.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I swear by UPS.
    Always in a hard case and in a proper shipping box but they're always in perfect condition when they arrive at either end.
    I sent a Fender Deville with them earlier this year which also arrived in perfect condition.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Never had a problem with a range of couriers, but I always go for UPS if it's an option.

Have sent and received guitars all over the UK, Europe & USA and so far, touch wood, all OK.

Having said that I have a brand spanking new Musicman L3 currently en route from the Czech Republic as I type and you've got me thinking now!! Was such a good deal from an authorised MM dealer that I had to take a punt though...

I'm surprised at @mark123's UPS experience....I also think for the sake of a train ticket in the UK travelling to collect is the safest option if you can.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Have a chat with Adrian at Prodel.co.uk 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6205
    UPS seem to be a favourite on here but check deep into their terms and conditions about their exact criteria of how to pack your instrument. If you're one bit of bubble-wrap wrong your insurance is worthless.
    See: https://www.ups.com/packaging/?loc=en_US

Parcel Farce are just crooks, they'll quite happily take your insurance payment but their maximum payout for musical instruments is £150.. not a penny more, regardless of how you've insured the instrument for.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 396
    Thanks..
    Uk post .. but now thinking no posting option...safest way. Jon 
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    UPS all the way, sent hundreds with them and never any problem.
    Insurance is pretty much worthless with any courier, they'll get out of paying unless you're a company with a fixed terms/insurance per delivery, in which case you'll still have to jump through flaming hoops to claim!

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    UPS via Transglobal - can insure up to £2000 for £40, and they do actually cover it 
  • EvoEvo Frets: 309
    I'd like to introduce my new company, "Pinchem and Runne" exclusively for high end guitar, amp and effects pedals courier needs.

No packaging restrictions, a guy named Jimmy will pull up outside your house in a blue fiesta and happily take your prized suhrs, gibsons, tylers, fender custom shops and beloved instruments. After this, they may or may not get to where you want them to go but at these prices who can argue??

I got the idea after I sent a parcel with Hermes...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pruddprudd Frets: 669
    I wouldnt trust any of them in the event of a claim, but have used UPS several times, they just fill me with a little more confidence than the others and have never let me down yet, on top of which my missus likes the cute guys in the khaki shorts we get picking up stuff :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24704
    Parcelforce specifically exclude cover for instruments even if you buy the extra insurance.

Its in the terms you agree to when you buy.

Do not use them for nice guitars.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5577
    If you use Interparcel's own brand delivery isn't it UPS anyway? Or has that all changed now?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    UPS every time for me.
    Did the "long term on approval, no money will ever change hands, cos you're a fookin lovely bloke Paul " delivery of theTV yellow go by another company then Neil....?? the bastids, it's not arrived...

Have you still not got it mate?? Buggers...I'll chase 'em up......
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    UPS every time for me.

Have you still not got it mate?? Buggers...I'll chase 'em up......
    Fookin wrong 'uns mate.....

All well Pal?