SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Best courier service for high value guitars?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1743
    If your buying in the uk and want 100% piece of mind collection is the only way too go imo.
    If collection isn't an option then I guess any postage has its risks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited June 2017
    I use parcelforce. Never once had a problem.

The insurance thing is only useful for loss, which is unlikely but I assume you're covered if it does go missing.

Damage insurance is all down to proper packing - they won't pay out if it breaks. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    edited June 2017 tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    UPS every time for me.
    Did the "long term on approval, no money will ever change hands, cos you're a fookin lovely bloke Paul " delivery of theTV yellow go by another company then Neil....?? the bastids, it's not arrived...

Have you still not got it mate?? Buggers...I'll chase 'em up......
    Fookin wrong 'uns mate.....

All well Pal? 
    Tip Top thanks Buddy, you? :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    UPS every time for me.
    Did the "long term on approval, no money will ever change hands, cos you're a fookin lovely bloke Paul " delivery of theTV yellow go by another company then Neil....?? the bastids, it's not arrived...

Have you still not got it mate?? Buggers...I'll chase 'em up......
    Fookin wrong 'uns mate.....

All well Pal? 
    Tip Top thanks Buddy, you? :-)
    Yep, sound Mate. 

Take care, see you next time :)
  • FellixFellix Frets: 27
    DPD and UPS have been the best service and condition of packages and guitars I've both sent and received in the last few years. DPD have a really good tracking service. 

To be fair, Royal Mail and/or Parcel Force have both been really quick and you can see in great detail where your package is and even give you a very narrow window of ETA. So you don't need to be waiting in all day so you don't miss the delivery driver.
    2014 Fender Strat Plus Replica in Lake Placid Blue /1996 Fender 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Strat in Candy Apple Red /1993 Fender American Stratocaster Plus Deluxe in Blue Burst /Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555x 100w head with Victory Silverback Vintage 30 Loaded 4 x 12 Official Boss Pedal Addict - TU-3 , OD-1, DD-2 , DC-3, PS-1, RB-5, DS-1
  • moogie72moogie72 Frets: 78
    I always use parcel force , do it on a speed delivery i.e. 24 hour, less time for it to be hanging around depots etc. Never had an issue once. 

Its all to to do with your packing, don't ever skimp on it, give the box a shake before you seal up, if it rattles then there is space for more packing. Also, take photos of all of your work as you packing up to the point of sealing it. I sometimes even send them to the buyer, so we both know a proper job was done before sending, saves any 'accusations' and is evidence to hit the courier with 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 184
    I agree. No problems here with anyone. I pack them within an inch of their life and for the price of a roll of parcel tape or two and some FRAGILE! tape makes all the difference imho
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Parcelforce main depot dropoff between 6-7pm, and I know it leaves on a truck between 8-9pm, gets processed at the hub about 4-5am and on a van for delivery at 8am.  It just aint standing still long enough to be messed with. Never had a problem.
  • ac30manac30man Frets: 478
    edited June 2017
    I wouldn't trust UPS after watching them roll my apple imac corner to corner across the van floor when they delivered it. It was clear from the box it was a computer and fragile. It weighed next to nothing too. I suppose there is good and bad delivery drivers in all companies. It's pot luck. I don't think you can beat meeting face to face when buying a guitar. You can meet some great people along the way too! 

I do agree with other posts saying about getting 24 hr delivery if you need to post though. The less time they have it, the better
  • Another vote for UPS
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10489

If it's high value and within 200 miles or so then the best option is to deliver it in person or use a same day courier. Most of the times I've used a same day courier it's been about £110 plus the diesel so not too bad 

It's almost a wast of time recommending couriers as they all have good and bad ... a lot of them use sub contractors anyway and the stuff often has to go through the central hub and be handled by other people anyway. For example City-link used to get vilified on here but I sent over 50,000 packages with them and only had about 6 instances where I needed to make a claim 

Be careful about insurance, it can be very difficult to claim insurance if there's a breakage as if it's possible for them to break it you probably haven't packed it right. If it disappears completely then a successful payout depends on you having the right paperwork to prove it was worth what your claiming. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I had a guitar delivered on Tuesday by UPS the box seemed fine but I think it's taken a whack somewhere as the neck has small crack :( but luckily it's not a bad one.