Nationalising utilities, rail, post office etc

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
I know it's a bit last minute before the election, but tell me, how viable are labour's plans to nationalise the utilities, railway, post office?
Is it possible to get them back without huge payouts to the current companies? And then what will stop them just being giant bloated public sector organisations? Didn't the Post office get sold off (badly!? because it was unprofitable?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Rail could be "nationalised" by simply not renewing the rail franchises when the expire at no cost.

Utilities and Post Office would cost a lot, most likely several 10s of billions of pounds.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734
    I can support it with the railways, but...putting utilities back under government control when the economy's not so hot isn't really a good idea IMO. Apart from anything...what happens to the utilities when the government's coffers inevitably hit the skids, or the unions strike?

I also really don't want the government getting their hands on BT's infrastructure. Having full control over the entire country's Internet infrastructure basically removes all roadblocks in terms of the removal of privacy. Privatising the PO and splitting the telecom infrastructure out was - totally accidentally - the best thing that could've happened from that perspective.
    <space for hire>
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2594
    tFB Trader
    would these changes need parliament approval?
    Even if Corbyn does win he probably won't get the parliament support to push through these changes, people seem to have forgotten how little support he had from other labour MP's, never mind the rest of parliament.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Bring back BOAC
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Even if Corbyn does win he probably won't get the parliament support to push through these changes, people seem to have forgotten how little support he had from other labour MP's, never mind the rest of parliament.

That's his saving grace, in my eyes - I'm reasonably confident that if Labour win, they won't have the money or the support to be able to follow through with some of his more loony ideas ("loony" as in "might've worked 30 years ago, but not in the modern world and the circumstance we're in right now").
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4925

As far as rail is concerned, the various TOC's have literally hundreds of new trains on order (from a number of manufacturers at home and abroad), due for delivery between 2017 and 2020.  

Page 56 of the Railway Magazine for May 2017 lists them all.  For example, Scotrail have 46 3-car and 24 4-car units due for delivery this year and next, with an option for a further 10 3-car units if needed.  

I couldn't see a state-owned operation committing to such an investment.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    57Deluxe said:
    Bring back BOAC

And British Leyland.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader

I also really don't want the government getting their hands on BT's infrastructure. Having full control over the entire country's Internet infrastructure basically removes all roadblocks in terms of the removal of privacy. Privatising the PO and splitting the telecom infrastructure out was - totally accidentally - the best thing that could've happened from that perspective.

There is no roadblock. 

Everything routed through BT is completely accessible to GCHQ. There are whole departments of BT dedicated to helping them in this endeavour.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    Waterworks and the electric company only cost about £200 in Monopoly, don't they? Cheap as chips!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26734

There is no roadblock. 

Everything routed through BT is completely accessible to GCHQ. There are whole departments of BT dedicated to helping them in this endeavour.
    There is - the law. They have to obey the law and make certain parts of their interference public, and they do so because there are so many moving parts and other organisations involved, which means it'd get out eventually. When it's all in-house, there's no need for that...even the rest of the government won't know what they're doing.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72571
    edited June 2017
    It can certainly be done, but it will take time. The amounts of money are not vast in the grand scheme of things - if they were, then selling them off would have allowed the Tories to fix their deficit problems. Tens of billions isn't peanuts, but it's not impossible either - especially if they can get the deficit under control first. Just servicing the debt is costing fifty billion a year at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    OMG. The railways are in public ownership. The franchises are just a licence to run a service. Corbyn can't nationalise the railways.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    would these changes need parliament approval?

This applies to 95% of the Labour manifesto
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

There is no roadblock. 

There is - the law. They have to obey the law and make certain parts of their interference public, and they do so because there are so many moving parts and other organisations involved, which means it'd get out eventually. When it's all in-house, there's no need for that...even the rest of the government won't know what they're doing.
    all telecoms companies have regulations to abide by..
    GCHQ cannot tap and monitor anyone at will..
    they must have a warrant from a judge
    play every note as if it were your first
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22246
    BigMonka said:
    I know it's a bit last minute before the election, but tell me, how viable are labour's plans to nationalise the utilities, railway, post office?
    Is it possible to get them back without huge payouts to the current companies? And then what will stop them just being giant bloated public sector organisations? Didn't the Post office get sold off (badly!? because it was unprofitable?
    RM wasn't unprofitable. 

https://fullfact.org/sites/fullfact.org/files/RoyalMail.png

The biggest slide in profits came after the disaster of the Horizon IT system. Labour fucked up with NHS IT: the Conservatives fucked up with Horizon. 

https://fullfact.org/news/royal-mail-privatisation-whats-happening/

The pension issue was a major factor. 

http://www.if.org.uk/2013/09/25/the-privatisation-of-royal-mail-what-about-the-pension-scheme/

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Clarky said:

There is no roadblock. 

all telecoms companies have regulations to abide by..
    GCHQ cannot tap and monitor anyone at will..
    they must have a warrant from a judge

They tap everything 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempora

Lawyers for GCHQ said it would be impossible to list the total number of people targeted by Tempora because "this would be an infinite list which we couldn't manage"
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2333
    BigMonka said:
    RM wasn't unprofitable. 

https://fullfact.org/sites/fullfact.org/files/RoyalMail.png

The biggest slide in profits came after the disaster of the Horizon IT system. Labour fucked up with NHS IT: the Conservatives fucked up with Horizon. 

https://fullfact.org/news/royal-mail-privatisation-whats-happening/

The pension issue was a major factor. 

http://www.if.org.uk/2013/09/25/the-privatisation-of-royal-mail-what-about-the-pension-scheme/
    wow that pension thing is a bit of an eye opener.  I knew that the state had taken over the pensions but didn't realise that it was that bad. 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    edited June 2017
    I'm not sure people here understand the nature of money. Promise to pay the bearer, . . . a faith currency and nothing more. Nationalising anything will cost money! What money? The money we can magic out of thin air to support the banks who had created 'profit' in the form of 'money' and said we were in debt? Careful folks - soon will you believe that is air you are breathing ;-)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    jpttaylor said:
    Waterworks and the electric company only cost about £200 in Monopoly, don't they? Cheap as chips!

You are Diane Abbott, ICM £5.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    Given that the state is struggling to invest in schools and the NHS, taking on other services which will require on-going investment seems like madness to me....

But actually, it's not about making things 'better' is it? It's about having a bigger public sector, with a captive audience who will vote Labour through thick and thin, because they'll be looked after, regardless of the strength or weakness of the real economy....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom