Mayweather vs McGregor

What's Hot
So... It's on!

August the 26th in Vegas. Boxing, light-middleweight. 

Bookies will pay 1.10 for Floyd and 7.00 for Connor to win.

A matchup that I suspected never to happen is a go - only two months away too.

What do you think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It's a boxing match, the boxer will win and quite easily I would think 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4724

I suppose it's good that after all the postulating it's actually happening, rather than it being one big PR stunt.

Of course now it's happening it will be one big PR stunt.

As a contest Mayweather will be too hard to beat, but his style is defensive so I expect McGregor to be coming after him, but ultimately the gap between them will be massive.

Really it's an exhibition match, rather than a serious boxing match IMO.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    ^ I'd agree. And if you believe what you read, $75M each!! a spectacle for sure, but a fight worth watching? Probably not. I'd expect it to be over within 5 rounds, with Mayweather winning by KO. McGregor's challenge will be discipline and not reverting to MMA techniques. I'll actually be in the US when this is happening, so that could be cool, watching in a bar somewhere no doubt
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4673
    Mayweather to do his usual thing of being an immense defensive boxer, MacGregor swinging wildly trying to catch him, Mayweather toying with him for about 8 rounds to make it look like its an actual fight and the PPV viewers get their £££££ worth. Mayweather to win. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Pointless. I have no interest at all personally. About as interesting as Rocky vs Hulk Hogan in one of the Rocky films.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    axisus said:
    Pointless. I have no interest at all personally. About as interesting as Rocky vs Hulk Hogan in one of the Rocky films.
    What about Rocky vs Ivan Drago?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll believe it when it happens.  

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited June 2017
    I'm an MMA fan, but agree this is pretty pointless. I'd rather see Mac stay in MMA and fight Khabib or Tony Ferguson. If he can parley his current fame into a MASSIVE payday and set himself up for life then I can't begrudge him the opportunity- after what he did to Aldo and Alvarez he doesn't have anything to prove regarding his ability in the Octagon.

Conor will almost certainly lose the match, but so long as he doesn't get KO'd in the first round or so (unlikely from Mayweather) he can claim a "moral" victory for hanging with the a great boxer for however long he lasts. 
    If this was an MMA match it'd be equally mismatched (if that makes sense) Mac would win quickly and easily- smaller gloves allow his accuracy and power to shine through and also let him exploit smaller gaps in his opponents defence... and that's without even mentioning his kicking game. 

The match for the boxing purists is a few weeks later when Triple G fights Canelo Alvarez- that could be one of the best fights ever.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    so who'd win in a fight, a great white shark or a tiger?
    play every note as if it were your first
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    edited June 2017 tFB Trader
    It's a complete waste of time.

It's equivalent to saying who would win a race between Mo Farah and Usain Bolt. It depends on if it's a sprint or a 10k and tells you nothing about either person.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    It is a pointless boxing match, but it'll be fun because Mayweather clowns McGregor early and hurts him, but McGregor will take him down and quickly ground n' pound for a DQ loss.

It shouldn't count as Mayweather's 50th win, but as a silly spectacle it'll be a laugh.
  • NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    It's a complete waste of time.

It's equivalent to saying who would win a race between Mo Farah and Usain Bolt. It depends on if it's a sprint or a 10k and tells you nothing about either person.
    There was talk a couple of years ago of them racing each other over 600m, but it seems it came to nothing.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4673
    Michael Phelps vs Phil " The Power" Taylor Dominoes match coming soon 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 988
    celentium said:
    It is a pointless boxing match, but it'll be fun because Mayweather clowns McGregor early and hurts him, but McGregor will take him down and quickly ground n' pound for a DQ loss.

It shouldn't count as Mayweather's 50th win, but as a silly spectacle it'll be a laugh.
    Read somewhere that he will face a lawsuit if he kicks Mayweather. 

I won't bother staying up till 4am, we all know the result already.  
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    spectacle or not Conor is raising the bar, for everyone.  

It was the only move the UFC could make otherwise it would be a poor year for them events wise. No Ronda, will Jon Jones actually fight? plus no scheduled Conor UFC fight. This allows them to bring boxing fans over to MMA and I'm sure Conor will fight pretty quickly after (unless he wins) and make loads of money for everyone involved. 

In reality what was Conor gonna do? Fight Holloway? Fight Tony Ferguson? Nate Rematch? They all dwarf (except for the actual fight) compared to Mayweather. 
    Carl Frampton thinks the fight it stupid also.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40289987
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    marcus449 said:
    This allows them to bring boxing fans over to MMA and I'm sure Conor will fight pretty quickly after (unless he wins) and make loads of money for everyone involved.
    I can't see this fight converting boxing fans to MMA to be honest. Conor's boxing ability will be laughed at and ridiculed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    celentium said:
    marcus449 said:
    This allows them to bring boxing fans over to MMA and I'm sure Conor will fight pretty quickly after (unless he wins) and make loads of money for everyone involved.
    I can't see this fight converting boxing fans to MMA to be honest. Conor's boxing ability will be laughed at and ridiculed.
    never said convert. I'm saying it'll bring fans, who are curious, over to MMA and if Conor's fights quickly after the boxing then it'll only generate more money. 

• tbmtbm Frets: 582
    Michael Phelps vs Phil " The Power" Taylor Dominoes match coming soon 
    Now THIS I'd pay to see. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.