Guitar my age

What's Hot

Comments

• cm01cm01 Frets: 458

I've had a '73 Les paul Custom back in the late 80's (was pretty rubbish so I flogged it on) and only paid about £400 quid for it, dread to think what it would be worth now... a few of you have mentioned 1969 guitars - I picked this up recently and it only set me back a few hundred quid:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2014
    Have shown my Les Paul a couple of times on the forum. It is a Lentz Conversion. I will not go into telling you how the guitar almost fell into my lap shortly after I started getting the urge to buy a year of birth guitar - 1953. The reason I won't go into that is because it will sound a bit far fetched.
    BTW the urges to buy a year of birth guitar started shortly after my mum died in December 2009.

But what I will tell you about - because I can show you - is what I found when I had a close look at the contents of the control cavity.
    Of course - I don't know the exact build date of the guitar!  But I can see when the pots were made.
    The 16th week of 1953 is 2 weeks before I was born.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    I have an instrument from the year of my birth 1958.

Sadly it's a comb and a piece of Izal toilet paper!

I might be tempted to buy a guitar made that year but only if it was silly cheap like the afore mentioned Framus or similar for £50 or so.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    As my birth year is the same as the birth of the Gibson Les Paul I doubt if I will be getting one any time soon!

Birth year stuff is also often talked about on the wristwatch fora I post on too. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited February 2014
    Bidley said:
    I'm 1986, which is a bit of a weird one. I'm not an LP guy, more of a superstrat person... Any ideas?
    Maybe a pre-RG Ibanez Roadstar? This is an '86 RG450.

Now, 1995 seems like a difficult one. If I'd been born in 1994 I could grab myself a late Ibanez RG550, but no...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Lexie1;161592" said:
    1955 so that rules out almost everything without having to sell the house. ;)
    You could have bought my '55 Junior when it was on here! It's now in Charlie Chandler's for a wee bit more...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    '83 was a shit year for guitars - get a DX7 instead...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This one was worth what they were asking IMO.

http://www.ten-guitars.de/guitar/1983-gibson-les-paul-reissue-goldtop-custom-order

Google translation:
    In this Goldtop Reissue from 1983 it is a custom order from the Gibson Custom Shop. It has the original Tim Shaw pickups, which are now very sought. Tim Shaw was then at Gibson responsible for the development of the reissue models "Heritage" and his ambition was to bring the pickups as close as possible to the original PAF's. The neck of this guitar is based on the early 50 models. He is not too thick and has a very slight "V". Plays very comfortable with the jumbo frets. Meanwhile, this guitar is naturally geaged, many hairline cracks and dings and dongs. You can see that she was very much played. Looks almost as Tom Murphy would have been busy. Technically perfect. Very good player.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Bidley said:
    I'm 1986, which is a bit of a weird one. I'm not an LP guy, more of a superstrat person... Any ideas?

There's plent to choose from. Bit more difficult when you're a "Superstrat" guy, made in 1975

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Right now, I wouldn't say no to a '67 Fender Mustang Bass...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    1949 for me - anything available?

@cm01, that is a very tasty SG!
  • Nitefly;163103" said:

Martins from the '40s were well regarded.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Nitefly said:

1st year ES-175?

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    "Martins from the '40s were well regarded....."

"1st year ES-175?"

Good suggestions, both, thank you.  This is going to mean another mortgage, isn't it!
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    I already have my 'Birthday Guitar' - a 1956 Esquire. Currently with Gaz in Durham)

It's perhaps a little hasty to write off all 1983 Fenders. When Dan smith took over the Fender plant in 1982. he soon received the first pre-production JV Strats from Japan. They were so good he was moved to tears and vowed that Fender USA would build guitars like this again. He sacked 2/3rds of the workforce and just kept on most of the staff that had been with company sine the 50's.  (most of them women)These vintage Fullerton Strat's were built using the old production methods and were only made between 1982  1984,and are regarded as some of the best |Strats ever made. Like the JV Strats, they made a 50's model and a 60's model. My guitar is a 1960's model with a slab rosewood fingerboard. It's the best Strat I have ever played and will hold it's head up in the company of any 60's USA Strat. These guitars are rare in the UK, but are considered highly collectable in the USA, usually selling for arround $2,500. Due to my recent stroke this guitar is currently on loan to Alan in south Wales.

I already have my 'Birthday Guitar' - a 1956 Esquire. (Currently with Gaz in Durham)

It's perhaps a little hasty to write off all 1983 Fenders. When Dan smith took over the Fender plant in 1982. he soon received the first pre-production JV Strats from Japan. They were so good he was moved to tears and vowed that Fender USA would build guitars like this again. He sacked 2/3rds of the workforce and just kept on most of the staff that had been with company sine the 50's.  (most of them women)These vintage Fullerton Strat's were built using the old production methods and were only made between 1982  1984,and are regarded as some of the best |Strats ever made. Like the JV Strats, they made a 50's model and a 60's model. My guitar is a 1960's model with a slab rosewood fingerboard. It's the best Strat I have ever played and will hold it's head up in the company of any 60's USA Strat. These guitars are rare in the UK, but are considered highly collectable in the USA, usually selling for arround $2,500. Due to my recent stroke this guitar is currently on loan to Alan in south Wales.

Sorry for the duplicate post, but I can't get the image to attach. i always have this problem when attaching photographs on this forum, even though I attach the 'direct' option as advised by other forum members.

• Rg550 for me :)