Guitar my age

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    DeeTee said:

The Paul shot up in price as soon as they announced the reissues. I was put off when someone (I think it was ICBM) told me they have a habit of coming unstuck at the neck/body join.
    No, not at the neck/body join - at the joins between the individual pieces (usually three) of wood in the body.

Plenty haven't done, though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Ah, that was it, thanks! I think if I'd been born in a different year I'd have tried to find something, but I just wasn't thrilled by the options from '79. I figured I was going to be paying a price premium for something I probably wouldn't play much. I'm on the hunt for some other stuff instead. Maybe a 90's LP Studio as that was what I wanted when I started playing, and it would feel important to me in a way they year of birth options just didn't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited June 2019
    DeeTee said:
    Ah, that was it, thanks! I think if I'd been born in a different year I'd have tried to find something, but I just wasn't thrilled by the options from '79. I figured I was going to be paying a price premium for something I probably wouldn't play much. I'm on the hunt for some other stuff instead. Maybe a 90's LP Studio as that was what I wanted when I started playing, and it would feel important to me in a way they year of birth options just didn't.
    As a ‘78er I feel your frustrations. I’ve stopped looking it’s a silly idea really buying a guitar solely on the year the components were thrown together. It didn’t stop me doing it for my kids though!

’If’ I was to look for a 78 again it would probably be a Gretsch Committee, LP Pro Deluxe or a Rickenbacker 330 (Late 70’s Rics rare as hens teeth though). Failing that a Japanese guitar -maybe a Westbury Standard.

The one 78 I did get my hands on was an DC LP special - I didn’t bond with it @ICBM knows that actual guitar - he might have a comment on the specials from that era. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 326
    I’m 1981 and had a Rickenbacker 325 from that year for a while. Absolutely loved the look of it (still do), but sadly its 3/4 size and tiny, skinny neck made it almost unplayable and it had to go.

Didn’t stop me buying another one (same model, same colour!) several years later though! This one had a Bigsby so that made the decision perfectly logical
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4152
    I'm from 1962, had guitars older and younger than me but never same year, unless you count tele and strat 62 reissues.