New QOTSA

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3925
Always welcome in the dead household. New album due out in August and a UK tour. I'm liking this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited June 2017
    Took me a few listens but I like it. Sounds like the new album might be like a poppy era vulgaris. Can't wait to see them at the o2!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    I preferred their more stoner rock type stuff, think they lost their way when Oliveri eft tbh. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    edited June 2017 tFB Trader

I loved Songs for the Deaf...   I don't always like all of their stuff but im always happy to give it a try...

They also released this

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Sounds like he's been hanging out with the Arctic Monkeys a bit too much. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5552
    Rated R was their best album by a mile. I've found everything since is packed out with filler. Pretty much like Foo Fighters' career.
    Would be happy to have a fraction of either's success though and both bands are cool as.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27217
    I've loved Songs for the Deaf since the day it came out, and ...Like Clockwork is fantastic. This one is not quite there for me, but much better than their worst. I'm hopeful the album will be good. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    He sounds a bit like Chris Goss on that one. Interesting.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    DiscoStu said:
    Rated R was their best album by a mile. I've found everything since is packed out with filler. Pretty much like Foo Fighters' career.
    Would be happy to have a fraction of either's success though and both bands are cool as.

Like Clockwork and Songs For the Deaf are 10/10 albums imo, no filler on either. Era Vulgaris and Lullabies have their moments but I agree some boring filler on those. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3925
    Rabs said:

I loved Songs for the Deaf...   I don't always like all of their stuff but im always happy to give it a try...

They also released this

Brilliant.

JH is ice cool. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I remember being underwhelmed by Like Clockwork, might have to give it another go 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    Deadman said:
    Always welcome in the dead household. New album due out in August and a UK tour. I'm liking this:

That's fucking shite.  

It sounds like bland generic XFM nonsense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 494
    edited June 2017
    It sounds awful. The song's kind of OK, a bit dancey. Not sure about the use of Ronson as producer.

Most of all, it isn't this:

"that's fucking shite"

Have you ever thought about a career in music journalism?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    Deadman said:
    "that's fucking shite"

I'll expand.  

In terms of it's production it's so incredibly over produced, with far too much compression on the guitars, it's like someone cranked everything up with the limiter and consequently the dynamics of the mix are incredibly flat.  The drums have also gone the same way where they sound like they could be found in a record by Bruno Mars.  

The most impressive thing about the new single by QOTSA is that it's incredibly bland and forgettable but near enough impossible to listen to throughout.  

It has the fitting demeanor of the tiresome playlists XFM endlessly cycles over and over again and I imagine It'll fit in seamlessly into their playlists with Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Jet and anything recorded by Johnny Borrell as a solo artist or with Razorlight.  

I love a lot of the things Josh Homme has done before, Kyuss, Desert Sessions, most of the QOTSA albums but this new single is just fucking awful.  
    Oh? I quite like it.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
    A bit? He'll be playing a tele and wearing a hat in no time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    Reverend said:
    A bit? He'll be playing a tele and wearing a hat in no time.
    If it wasn't for the Chris Goss comment I probably wouldn't have listened to it.

But I did listen, and it was OK.  I haven't bothered with the last few albums so I have no idea how this compares, but perhaps I'm too dismissive. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17666
    tFB Trader
    Sounds very twee.

They are my wife's favourite band and she was not overly impressed.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4321
    Deadman said:
    "that's fucking shite"

I'll expand.  

In terms of it's production it's so incredibly over produced, with far too much compression on the guitars, it's like someone cranked everything up with the limiter and consequently the dynamics of the mix are incredibly flat.  The drums have also gone the same way where they sound like they could be found in a record by Bruno Mars.  

The most impressive thing about the new single by QOTSA is that it's incredibly bland and forgettable but near enough impossible to listen to throughout.  

It has the fitting demeanor of the tiresome playlists XFM endlessly cycles over and over again and I imagine It'll fit in seamlessly into their playlists with Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Jet and anything recorded by Johnny Borrell as a solo artist or with Razorlight.  

I love a lot of the things Josh Homme has done before, Kyuss, Desert Sessions, most of the QOTSA albums but this new single is just fucking awful.  

Aye, I'd pretty much agree word for word with that.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12674
    CHRISB50 said:
    Deadman said:
    "that's fucking shite"

I'll expand.  

Aye, I'd pretty much agree word for word with that.

Ditto.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.