Paisley??

What's Hot
Anyone know where I can source Paisley foil, like Leo used in the 60s? Or something very similar??
ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    The wallpaper Fender used is loooong since discontinued (for the life of me can't recall the name of the original wallpaper manufacturer, not that it would help).

Bill Crook had it digitally recreated and sells his own Paisley Tele's now - very well regarded and not at all cheap.

Allparts/Tokai do the best mass produced version of the original wallpaper, nice stippled silver bits. Their pink burst is better than Fender's too. I have a Tele body for sale if you're interested but they're not cheap.

I did see a relic Paisley replica for sale on Ebay a while back but whoever the seller was, he wasn't interested in sharing his paper source.  =) Maybe he'd taken high res images and recreated it just like Bill Crook?

Not sure about similar paper but Jooky would probably know best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    I made some by taking a hi-res paisley pattern and having it printed on metallic foil. But honestly it was almost impossible to paint to hide the edges, rattle cans just won't do it, you need proper spray gear. 

I bought an Allparts body ... might have been from Streethawk come to think of it ... and it's just awesome, excellent pattern in textured foil and a lovely metallic pink burst. No good if you're not after a Tele though I guess. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Never! Never!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    I made some by taking a hi-res paisley pattern and having it printed on metallic foil. But honestly it was almost impossible to paint to hide the edges, rattle cans just won't do it, you need proper spray gear. 

I bought an Allparts body ... might have been from Streethawk come to think of it ... and it's just awesome, excellent pattern in textured foil and a lovely metallic pink burst. No good if you're not after a Tele though I guess. 
    I think it was me. 
    They also do strat bodies and I was considering getting some in at one point. They're just too dear though.

Do you have any pics of your foil printing experiment? I wonder if textured foil is available? 
    tFB Trader

I think it was me. 
    They also do strat bodies and I was considering getting some in at one point. They're just too dear though.

Do you have any pics of your foil printing experiment? I wonder if textured foil is available? 
    Might have somewhere ...

I added a fake texture to the foil in photoshop before printing - figured it would be easier to spray over smooth foil rather than textured. :)
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    @4114Effects that looks awesome mate, exactly the type of thing I'm after, although it would seem to be easier sourcing a unicorn! :)
    tFB Trader
    flyingv said:
    @4114Effects that looks awesome mate, exactly the type of thing I'm after, although it would seem to be easier sourcing a unicorn! :)
    If you want I'll get a quote for two sheets - enough to do front and back of a standard telecaster? I was thinking of getting a few sheets printed and listing them on eBay anyway :)
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    7 or 8 years ago I attempted to make a paisley body by gluing some pink paisley fabric to a stripped Squier telecaster body, and then strengthening it and flattening the texture with some epoxy.
    It turned out as an absolute horrible mess - the glue and epoxy yellowed and made the pattern fuzzy and yucky.
    It also had to be really thick to smooth out the texture of the fabric and attempting to sand it was a nightmare, stuff is way too hard.
    In the end I binned it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    flyingv said:
    If you want I'll get a quote for two sheets - enough to do front and back of a standard telecaster? I was thinking of getting a few sheets printed and listing them on eBay anyway :)
    That would be great mate! Ta very much ;)
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader

I think it was me. 

Same decision here. Especially when I realised that finding the matching paisley pickguard was next to impossible - Allparts no longer sell the pink paisley guard for their own bodies, only a black and silver version!
    The Allparts bodies are gorgeous though.
    tFB Trader
    flyingv said:
    flyingv said:
    That would be great mate! Ta very much ;)
    Will get on that tomorrow for you then :)

At your leisure mate  no rush, and thank you very much again.

I think it was me. 

Same decision here. Especially when I realised that finding the matching paisley pickguard was next to impossible - Allparts no longer sell the pink paisley guard for their own bodies, only a black and silver version!
    The Allparts bodies are gorgeous though.
    Aye there's that, too. I nearly broke the airbrush out at one point. It was then I realised the obsession had to stop. 
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    edited June 2017
    I have an Allparts Paisley Tele body, and from memory it is actually a fabric that Allparts use, rather than a paper. So maybe there is a suitable fabric out there?

There is a massive colour difference between recent Fender reissues and the Allparts bodies. The Allparts version is gorgeous, and looks a lot more accurate than recent Fender reissues - the older the Fender reissue the more accurate the colour, with the 80's being closest to the 60's originals.

Anyway, as @gavin_axecaster said, Allparts no longer make the matching pickguards (Tele or Strat). If anyone fancies making one for their Tele then clear pickguards are available (I've seen a couple of suppliers on fleaBay). Rustoleum metallic pink spray paint is a pretty good match for Allparts bodies, and is available from Wilko, so if you have the skill it should be possible to burst the back of a clear Tele pickguard around the pickup rout.

As for Paisley Strat bodies, I'd love one, but categorically won't get one until the matching pickguards are available. And by matching, I mean properly matching, with the correct bursted edges to the pickguard as per the 80's Japanese Fender 'reissues'. I actually think Allparts are missing a trick - they make the bodies, they make some nice CBS/big headstock necks, and yet a vital aesthetic component (the bursted Paisley pickguard) simply isn't available. And let's face it, Paisley instruments are all about the aesthetic. All the paper (or fabric) and all those layers of poly lacquer wouldn't be my choice for best tone.
    I have an Allparts Paisley Tele body, and from memory it is actually a fabric that Allparts use, rather than a paper. So maybe there is a suitable fabric out there?

There is a massive colour difference between recent Fender reissues and the Allparts bodies. The Allparts version is gorgeous, and looks a lot more accurate than recent Fender reissues - the older the Fender reissue the more accurate the colour, with the 80's being closest to the 60's originals.

Anyway, as @gavin_axecaster said, Allparts no longer make the matching pickguards (Tele or Strat). If anyone fancies making one for their Tele then clear pickguards are available (I've seen a couple of suppliers on fleaBay). Rustoleum metallic pink spray paint is a pretty good match for Allparts bodies, and is available from Wilko, so if you have the skill it should be possible to burst the back of a clear Tele pickguard around the pickup rout.

As for Paisley Strat bodies, I'd love one, but categorically won't get one until the matching pickguards are available. And by matching, I mean properly matching, with the correct bursted edges to the pickguard as per the 80's Japanese Fender 'reissues'. I actually think Allparts are missing a trick - they make the bodies, they make some nice CBS/big headstock necks, and yet a vital aesthetic component (the bursted Paisley pickguard) simply isn't available. And let's face it, Paisley instruments are all about the aesthetic. All the paper (or fabric) and all those layers of poly lacquer wouldn't be my choice for best tone.
    Might give the rustoleum paint a go before trying to mix my own. 
    Good shout!

One problem with doing a run of pickguards would be the difference in colours between Fender and Allparts versions. 
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    @streethawk it is a problem for you if you want to make and/or sell to two different markets (Fender and Allparts customers).

However, it shouldn't be a problem for Allparts, should it? Allparts' current position presents a dilemma for you as a retailer, and for me as a customer, such that only the most dedicated (or foolhardy!) will pursue owning a Paisley instrument built from Allparts components. I mean, I looked at maybe 15 different metallic paints before stumbling on the Rustoleum stuff - having to do that is evidence enough that Allparts are failing in this area. So, from the perspective of them selling bodies, they clearly aren't supporting their retailers or customers. They should sell pickguards to match their own bodies, as that is what they sell. The number of Fender Paisley owners who need replacement pickguards must be tiny - they are such unique instruments - who actually removes and loses the original pickguard? It is people building their own Paisley instruments who need support. Indeed, given the not insignificant price of Allparts Paisley bodies, they should really supply them with the appropriate matching pickguard, as a package.

To be clear, this is categorically not a dig at you (sorry for the rant!). I am very grateful that @streethawk and @gavin_axecaster supply Allparts components, but if they ever ask for your feedback, please let them know they fell at the final hurdle with the Paisley stuff because of the pickguard situation. It really is very frustrating, and I expect there is a high quality Chinese manufacturer (Squier CV factory or similar) greedily eyeing Allparts business.

Also, if someone does want to make a pickguard for a recent Fender reissue, then Tamiya make a metallic pink which is very similar. Given it's designed for modelling, it will likely work well on a clear plastic pickguard. Also, Steve Robinson may be able to help, as I did have a chat with him and he did have something suitable. For now, here are a couple of pictures of Rustoleum metallic pink on a scrap of acrylic laid over an Allparts body:

http://i.imgur.com/eG6Y9OG.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/TXbmUvx.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That is really close. Great pics. 

The paint @CasperCaster recommended has worked a treat.

First effort has worked out ok but the bottom of the halo is a bit thin. Might have to redo it later today.
    The pickguard is bevelled and I've seen that on some originals so not too bothered.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I have an '80s Fender Paisley, but these days I refer to it as my Peach Paisley, rather than Pink Paisley, such is the colour it has changed to.

The colour of the modern Fender ones is way too pink. I wonder if it's a conscious decision or poor attention to detail?

On mine, the halo on the 'guard has stayed much more pink than the rest of the body, so getting a perfect colour match paint wise won't be so important after a couple of years of sunlight.