Is the new black Marshall Astoria kinda like malibu stacey with a new hat ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
I saw Lee and that Chapman berk pushing a black astoria on a yt clip. I know marshall got its arse reamed with dismal sales of the original astorias, what does the black bring to the table now ?
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Reminds me of when Apple brought out the first IMac and the big USP was that they were available in all these 'cool' colours and not just boring white like other computers.
    And then they brought out a limited edition White one.....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think Friedmans are the new Marshalls.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well the colours/styling was the big talking point when these were announced. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Malibu Stacey has more bottom.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    I wonder do you switch an astoria on and once the tubes heat up, a voice saying grrrrreeeeeeeeeetttttings emanates from the speaker  followed by tasteless playing on an out of tune guitar ?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Well the colours/styling was the big talking point when these were announced. 
    Talking point as in "these look really crap, what on earth are Marshall playing at?"...

They still don't look great in black. It reminds me a bit of the Fender Machete, an absolute runaway success of an amp ;) - and that was even given that those sound good and don't break down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    Chicago Music Ex have had a better stab at it.

Still not sure I see the point in its existence when the market would surely lap up a lower wattage JCM800, a channel-switchable Bluesbreaker/Plexi thing at 20 and 40 watts, or even a DSL that doesn't blow itself up.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/marshall-astoria-custom-cme-limited-edition-30w-hand-wired-single-channel-1x12-combo-w-footswitch

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That would actually look quite good if the piping round the grille was white not gold and it didn't have that stupid kinked section in the bottom edge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I'd have put the gold pinstripes over on the edges like the old heads and 4x12s, but, I like it :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited June 2017
    I think they look good in most of the colours, there are plenty of boring square black boxes for amps in the world if thats what you want. The dual channel one sounds awesome as well, really thick marshall tone. 
    It's not actually the colours I didn't like - it's the combination of them with the cheap-looking black grilles, and the stupid grille frame styling. The same colours with basketweave cloth and a straight edge to the grille (especially at the bottom) would have looked fine.

Or better still, the same colours on a standard Marshall 18W or Bluesbreaker cabinet.

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited June 2017
    What Marshall was thinking with the Astoria is one of the world’s great mysteries, along with the Bermuda Triangle, the Abominable Snowman, and who really killed JFK.

Then again, this is the same company that still hasn’t made a proper two-channel model 1959/2203, or a model 1974 TMB, or other seemingly obvious designs almost guaranteed to sell well. The inescapable conclusion is that their management is absolutely clueless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    ---
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    TTBZ said:
    There's lots of cool new stuff in the works for marshall, don't worry  
    Code mk 2 ?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    TTBZ said:
    New fridge?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Jack plug keyring?
    edited August 2018
    ---
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    TTBZ said:
    None of the above. Don't think I'm allowed to give anything away but have a little faith :) 
    Crucifixes? 

George Michael signature sunglasses?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    30w, point-to-point, hand-wired Marshall-alike? Sounds like a job for Dennis Cornell.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    TTBZ said:
    But it's too little too late. I can't think of any other major musical gear manufacturer who has so recalcitrantly and consistently ignored both the will of the market and it's customer base. I mean imagine if Ibanez had refused to reissue the tubescreamer? 

There just arrogant.