On which attempt did you pass your driving test ? What age were you ?

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited June 2017
    First time, 17. 5 minors. 

Got the absolute minimum in my normal theory (30/35) and the same in my hazard awareness (42/75). 

I still maintain to this day that I aced that hazard one but I was seeing the hazard before they deemed it acceptable to have seen it, processed it and clicked.

A guy I know smashed it and he's literally the most unaware, clueless driver I've ever seen in my life!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1777
    17, first time, 2 minors.
    wow that sentence could really be read to sound very wrong!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    2nd attempt at 18.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    17. 1st go after a quick driving lesson.      But My parents had land so I'd been driving tractors, motorbikes and old car off road for many years.    I suspect doing it in Whitby in the late 80's was a little easier than most people have to face now.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27092
    BigMonka said:
    17, first time, 2 minors.
    wow that sentence could really be read to sound very wrong!
    But less serious than if you'd had 6 minors for the 11th time at the age of 45...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    Motorbike - First time at 18

Car - first time at 26
  • Passed at 17, first try. 
  • Passed first time at 18.
    Took the test at 11ish in my dad's car, at 2am my mate ran into the back of me on the way home from a disco!!! felt like shit telling my dad what I'd done, he was very understanding (after the initial WTF son) . God bless him.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    Passed first time I actually got in a car with an examiner @ 19. In thick fog, week before Christmas in the morning rush hour. (No fog at exam centre oddly, or that would have been called off too ....)

1st - my balls up - I transposed my provisional licence expiry date & test date - arrived only to be turned away
    2nd - as I walked in, examiner walked out sneezing & coughing
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
    2nd attempt at 17. I'll never forget the look on the examiner's face when he asked where the car was and I pointed out my Dad's Skoda Estelle.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • 25 years old

1st attempt.

Zero lessons. Boom!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    3rd attempt at 28.

My first two attempts were when I was 18- one well deserved failure, one less so. After that I went to university and didn't have the time, the money or the inclination to take the test again, and didn't manage to muster all three at the same time again for ten years.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited June 2017
    Passed on my 2nd attempt when I was 17 (first half of 1990).  

Failed my first time when an almost-biblical downpour coincided with my test slot...I could barely see the road, even with the wipers at full tilt.  By the time I got back to the testing station, they'd cancelled the remainder of the tests for that day due to localised flooding along the test routes.  I was well pissed off.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    We don't need roads where we're going, Marty!

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I passed my fuk bike licence first time at 24 and my car test first time at 34
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    edited June 2017
    I passed 4th go and I was 22.
    Still convinced it should have been second go. She failed me solely for not looking behind myself as I came off a roundabout, except I did look, and in a very exaggerated manner.

3rd go was an absolute mess. Drove past a park and nearly ran over a squirrel, started to park at the traffic lights but on a yellow grid so I tried to squeeze forwards and I nearly hit the car in front, then round the corner this old man just walked in to the middle of the road with his arm/hand out in a STOP sort of motion. Came about 6 inches from hitting him.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28370
    Emp_Fab said:
    18 first attempt for car, about six months later I passed my bike test on the first attempt too.  Institute of Advanced Drivers Gold Award two years ago, Advanced Tactical Pursuit course last year.

Only two of those are true.
    I had two lessons with a chap who trained police intercept drivers. Terrifying but really useful.

I'm still crap at driving, mind, but I do it in a more interesting way. Especially from the point of view of my passengers and oncoming traffic.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    Passed first time, aged 25 (1974).   Too busy playing guitar to be bothered before that...

I was fortunate at the time, as I was working for my dad, and got to drive the van from Blackpool to Southport via Preston (and back) every day for about 3 weeks before the test, so was pretty confident behind the wheel.  

I had a couple of lessons just before the test, and took it in the instructor's Triumph Dolomite - nice car!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    First try aged 26......
    better late than never. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22936

I had four attempts and never passed.  I think the last one was in 1985, so I would've been 20 or 21, but it might have been a bit later than that.

I was so pissed off after failing the last one, I didn't think I'd done anything wrong and I was sick of paying for lessons so I thought fuck this.  And I've never bothered again.

A few years after that I moved to London so I really don't need to drive.  And if I did, insurance would cost a fortune and my car would inevitably be robbed or vandalised sooner or later.  Only very occasionally do I think a car would be useful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom