On which attempt did you pass your driving test ? What age were you ?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I failed my first with two majors, I didn't indicate when pulling in to the side of the road, and I didn't give way to a cyclist passing parked cars. Only 4 minors on the retake though, although one of them was because of rolling back on the hill start, which was because the examiner was much heavier than I was used to!
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    18 1st attempt. I had 11 lessons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    2nd attempt aged 25 in 1994 so I can drive minibuses and 7.5 tonne lorries if I fancy it.

Didn't have the money when I was 17/18 (well I had some but spent it on going on holiday) and then I was a student for ages.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    Well, looks like I was the oldest when I passed so far in the thread...

Passed first time, ripe old age of 40. A few weeks ago, in fact.
    <space for hire>
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Update: passed 4th time with 7 minors in Bristol, where I'd never driven before after having not driven for 9 weeks... Seems to be a lottery. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited July 2017
    Hertz32 said:
    Update: passed 4th time with 7 minors in Bristol, where I'd never driven before after having not driven for 9 weeks... Seems to be a lottery. 
    Congrats!

For me it was 17 - first time. I bought a car the night before my test. Failure was not an option! 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    30.  First time with one token minor I didn't agree with.  Probably should have done my test sooner ;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    I got a guitar at 17 instead of lessons 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    d8m said:
    17 and first try.
    Me too
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

17 in 1987, second time.

First test didn't go so well with the examiner (literally) screaming drive! drive! while someone tried to pull his door open to thump him.

Nerves got the better of me then :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    edited August 2017
    At 17 I had a course of lessons and was last in a batch of 20 or so students to be tested.  The testing officer (a policeman, this was outside the UK) was clearly bored and asked me to complete a three point turn and stop sign.  That was my driving test.

And I stalled at the stop sign.

I've only had one accident in 28 years of driving.  Back in 1998 my car aquaplaned in heavy rain  on the M27 on a trip down from London.  I was doing less than the 60mph posted speed limit as visibility was poor and I was watching for the junction 9 offramp.  So the car went slowly, gracefully and inevitably front first into the Armco at about 20mph within sight of the offramp. Luckily this was late evening and i had the entire carriageway to myself.  My parents lived 2km away so I made it up the off ramp before the car died completely. My father came out to tow me back.  

I'd paid 50 quid for the car so the next morning took it to the scrappies and got the train home on Sunday.

I suffered the effects of untreated whiplash for many years afterwards.  But after that experience I booked myself onto an advanced driving course that included a skid control rig. That was as much fun as it was educational. I highly recommend it.

[This space for rent]

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Didn't learn to till I was 26, guitars and music were far to important to be wasting time and money on driving, plus I lived somewhere with good public transport.

I had about 18 lessons and passed 1st time. I did annoyingly get 1 with minor fault for not checking rear view mirror. I say annoyingly because I had, but my seating posistion meant I could check by just moving my eyes without obviously moving my head. My instructor had warned to make obvious head movements when checking the rear view mirror as the tester can't always see your eyes moving and will err on the side of doubt. I let it go though ;)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited August 2017
    17 and 3rd try. The first one I feel I really should have passed as I only got about 2 minors - the major was that I grazed the curb on my parallel park which I thought was a bit harsh. 2nd I was just over thinking it and made loads of stupid mistakes.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    first time at 22 after about 3 months of lessons. only 2 minors
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Last month, 36 at 2nd attempt. Wouldn't even think about driving (love feeling posh in a skoda taxi) but have become a father and wife made me do it.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    First time, car, 18
    Then...
    I didn't drive a car again for about three years.
    I don't recommend that!

I think I was about 21 when I took my bike test.  Passed that first time too.
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    First time 17
    Maybe 10 lessons