What are some "stupid guitar rules" you believe in?

What's Hot

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    No matter how many times people try to convince me otherwise (or what bits of old eraser, or pre-bent strings using pencils are utilised) restringing a Bigsby is always a world of pain, misery and despair. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited June 2017
    FRFR sounds shit. Despite all the hype and bollocks it's just a fucking PA speaker. It's not what electric guitars were designed to be played through and it's not rock 'n' roll.

There I've said it now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    edited June 2017
    Basher said:
    restringing a Bigsby is always a world of pain, misery and despair. 

Ditto any Rickenbacker electric twelve string with the "R" tailpiece. Actually, make that ANY Rickenbacker twelve string.

My favourite stupid rule seen on repair instruments is obeyed by people who align all of the polepiece screw slots on a humbucker perpendicular to the strings. They should stay behind after class to be tweaked.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    FRFR sounds shit. Despite all the hype and bollocks it's just a fucking PA speaker. It's not what electric guitars were designed to be played through and it's not rock 'n' roll.

There I've said it now.
    Amen. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9622
    The volume control should always be on 10, all the time.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    BigMonka said:
    Restringing takes ages and will ruin your whole evening. Best just ignore that guitar and play another one
    Actually I love spending an evening cleaning up and restringing a guitar, it's oddly therapeutic. Although not as therapeutic as buying a new guitar with new strings though!

Actually, one of the first things I do with a new guitar is change the strings and clean the guitar.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I have a real aversion to having more than one guitar in any given colour.

When I'm playing along to a song I'll have to use the guitar in my collection that is the closest match for the guitar the song was recorded with even though I play unplugged most of the time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    "13s sound awesome and are worth the pain..."
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Mine all go to 11.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    No more than 4 knobs allowed on a single fx pedal. More than 4 means the designer has no ears yet you'll think it's your fault for not dialling it in correctly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    As with foods, blue guitars are (with very few exceptions*) unnatural and best avoided.

*Sonic Blue Fenders are nice, as are Pelham Blue SGs (and possibly Firebirds). But that's it.

Matching headstocks on custom colour Fenders are only allowed for offsets, never on Strats or Teles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    One in one out
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Chorus pedals should be light blue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited June 2017 tFB Trader

Putting my stoptail down all the way to the body and top wrapping my LP will give me tone for days and make me play better

:P

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    A trem on a Strat should only be used for Shadows songs
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited June 2017
    My guitars are all on hangers now except for my Relic Telecaster which is on a hercules floor stand. I have to park my tremolo guitars with the pickup selector in the neck position on my strat and the bridge position on my Ibanez.
    Also the straight section of the arm where the end / tip is has to be in line parallel to the strings. 
    All my guitars have to wear their straps at all times but they're all fitted with Dunlop straplocks.
    the straps can't come down across the body, they have to hang down along the top edge of the guitar so as to not obscure the body 'Top' as you look at them.
    All control knobs have to be parked on number 10.
    Each guitar has some kind of framed picture or photo hanging behind the neck that pertains in some meaningful way to that guitar.
    My 'myth and magic' dragons must be on top of my amp at all times.

There's probably more....
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 301
    Telecasters are for country music.
    PRS guitars have no tone.
    Only a Gibson is good enough.
    Strats are weak sounding.
    Good guitarists shred. 
    Playing by ear only let's you discover unique harmonies.
    You need st least 20 pedals to sound good.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6115
    edited June 2017
    Never play a strat on just the middle pickup. It will confuse other players and the tone will mystify the audience.
    And your soul will burn in hell for even considering such heresy  p

Also, guitarists who can't play a full set using just the neck pickup of a Tele are pussies!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Alnico said:
    My guitars are all on hangers now except for my Relic Telecaster which is on a hercules floor stand. I have to park my tremolo guitars with the pickup selector in the neck position on my strat and the bridge position on my Ibanez.
    Also the straight section of the arm where the end / tip is has to be in line parallel to the strings. 
    All my guitars have to wear their straps at all times but they're all fitted with Dunlop straplocks.
    the straps can't come down across the body, they have to hang down along the top edge of the guitar so as to not obscure the body 'Top' as you look at them.
    All control knobs have to be parked on number 10.
    Each guitar has some kind of framed picture or photo hanging behind the neck that pertains in some meaningful way to that guitar.
    My 'myth and magic' dragons must be on top of my amp at all times.

There's probably more....
    Ah Tramodol Nights...