Passing the Time of Day

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1784
    I've never heard the expression "passing the time of day", I'm getting the impression it means acknowledging someone whilst out n about?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    BigMonka said:
    I've never heard the expression "passing the time of day", I'm getting the impression it means acknowledging someone whilst out n about?
    its the sort of thing my grandparents would have said. Not heard it used for a long time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4934
    It's also a very useful euphemism, a bit like " seeing a man about a dog".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6909
    It's a northern thing!

Previously known as stevebrum
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I generally say hello to people when I'm walking the dog, running or whatever. Not when I get into a lift though. They do that in Spain, say hello and goodbye in lifts.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I've recently started commuting by train and I very often exchange a few polite words with people as I get on the train and find a seat. On a few occasions I've ended up chatting for the whole journey with complete strangers.

Maybe we could start a movement whereby people wear a badge or something to indicate that they're happy to strike up a conversation with random people.
  • My immediate next door neighbour and I can waste 45-60 mins if we meet, our wives try to avoid us meeting - but he's Irish and I'm genetically part Irish 

I always say hello to old folks as they like a chat and so do I - youngsters are all knobs these days (I'm 43).

My wife is different - she's born and bred in this town and knows absolutely everyone - she's made "passing the time of day" into an art form 
  • That's said it's a generational thing.

im currently sat at the breakfast table in my favourite B&B in Knaresborough and all the oldies love a chat and all say hello when they come in - my generation say nothing 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Your generation is obviously not talking about my generation.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I go through phases but generally I saw hello to or at least make eye contact and a nod/smile to people I pass in my local area when out walking.

When staying in B&Bs or hotels, coming down for breakfast, I like to say good morning but most people just keep their heads down these days and don't seem to want to acknowledge you.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16819
    Nitefly said:
    It's also a very useful euphemism, a bit like " seeing a man about a dog".
    Going for a pint?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cambridge is extremely unfriendly, but I used to get strangers talking to me a lot in Norwich. 

The real shock was Bristol - lots of very friendly people there. I've heard Wales is very friendly too. 

I try to be friendly - I'm naturally shy, but when I'm walking my dog I say hello to anyone I see who looks friendly. Sometimes it's clear they're quite lonely and I'm the first person they've spoken to for days. 
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

BigMonka said:
    I was about to post the same thing. Never heard it before.

If there's something notable to observe ("Good afternoon. Your hair is on fire.") I will interact with a stranger but I think demanding attention from someone you don't know for no obvious reason seems a bit of an imposition.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 998
    Dog owner here, "morning/afternoon/evening" to fellow dog walkers or people just walking.

Joggers/cyclists I usually don't bother with unless they speak first.