Not a criminal matter

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Iamnobody said:
    strtdv said:
    To play devil's advocate here, I'd say that the only issue here is that the grandparents did not have the parental authority or permission to consent to the operation, rather than any issue with circumcision.

Whether "medically necessary" or not, surely if you sincerely believe that your child will be both eternally condemned and excluded from their community if they don't get a circumcision, then a minor operation that really has the only medical effect of slightly lowering your risk of penile cancer and significantly reducing your risk of contracting HIV sounds like a win-win situation
    Are you a parent?

What difference does that make? Any fucking idiot can be a parent - the process is pretty uncomplicated.
    There is a trend in society for a lack of empathy, and sometimes that can be changed when people literally do share a common experience.

Like circumcision?
    No. Not like circumcision.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4253
    Let's face it, it's a pretty odd thing to do in the first place!!!

Medical reasons aside.  

It must have been a pretty tough sell to begin with. 

"Hey guys I've got this awesome idea!! Let's cut off part of our todgers to show unity or devotion or some other crap"

"Come on, it's no skin off your nose..."

Sorry but somebody had to.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    edited June 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Iamnobody said:
    strtdv said:
    To play devil's advocate here, I'd say that the only issue here is that the grandparents did not have the parental authority or permission to consent to the operation, rather than any issue with circumcision.

Whether "medically necessary" or not, surely if you sincerely believe that your child will be both eternally condemned and excluded from their community if they don't get a circumcision, then a minor operation that really has the only medical effect of slightly lowering your risk of penile cancer and significantly reducing your risk of contracting HIV sounds like a win-win situation
    Are you a parent?

What difference does that make? Any fucking idiot can be a parent - the process is pretty uncomplicated.
    There is a trend in society for a lack of empathy, and sometimes that can be changed when people literally do share a common experience.
    Drew has nailed it. What strtv said seemed to lack a bit of empathy. Something that you might be lacking if you are a not parent.

It changes you. When the joyous bundle of shit, piss and sick comes along a protective instinct kicks in with most people and you wouldn't dream of hurting them/mutilating them. That is why I asked. 

As as for it being a win win situation that's just bollocks. Who wins? The backwards thinking parents. Who loses - the kid. 

Previously known as stevebrum
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1006
    it's every bit as bad as female circumcision as far as i'm concerned.   
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Lewy said:

Medical reasons aside.  

"Hey guys I've got this awesome idea!! Let's cut off part of our todgers to show unity or devotion or some other crap"

No it's off his cock!

(Sorry I remember your story about the boy at school who said that and got the bigger laugh)
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33841
    Iamnobody said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Iamnobody said:
    strtdv said:

Are you a parent?

Drew has nailed it. What strtv said seemed to lack a bit of empathy. Something that you might be lacking if you are a not parent.

It changes you. When the joyous bundle of shit, piss and sick comes along a protective instinct kicks in with most people and you wouldn't dream of hurting them/mutilating them. That is why I asked. 

Sounds hideous.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    strtdv said:

Are you a parent?

A big difference. Most men and women can produce a baby between them. Being a "parent" is different to having a child. A parent would die for their child/children. 

Some people arent paternal/maternal at all. 

I saw this headline this morning and I couldn't bring myself to read it until this evening. Truly awful. Regardless of whether this procedure stems from biblical (mumbo jumbo) stuff I think it's wrong anyway. But, the case doesn't seem to be as black and white as the headline would have you believe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4253
    holnrew said:
    Lewy said:

Medical reasons aside.  

No it's off his cock!

(Sorry I remember your story about the boy at school who said that and got the bigger laugh)
    My GOD that's some mind blowing recall!!!
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I'm calling bullshit on "parents" automatically becoming empathetic gurus of peace and love. 

Any twats can make a baby and even shove it in a school uniform and feed it. That neither makes them more empathetic more better people. 

There are plenty of parents who had so little empathy that their own kids being gay was enough to disown them - if you can't empathise worth your own child you're going to struggle to convince me you can for anyone else's. Parents who starve kids, beat them, psychologically damage them etc are far too common for forcing a sprog through a birth canal to be a magic bullet cure for arseholes. 

Best case for arseholes with kids is that they raise content arseholes who have as little empathy as they do. They don't stop being arseholes - though some will become smug arseholes
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Myranda said:
    I'm calling bullshit on "parents" automatically becoming empathetic gurus of peace and love. 
    Go ahead - you're the only one who stated it so far.

If you were incorrectly referencing my post where I said a protective instinct kicks in, note I said with most people.

Most people do not wish to physically or mentally harm their own kids. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited July 2017
    Patrick Stewart on Graham Norton thinks the reverse - he has lived his life thinking he was circumvented but turns out he aint!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    holnrew said:
    Lewy said:

Medical reasons aside.  

No it's off his cock!

My GOD that's some mind blowing recall!!!
    I remember things like that, my old car number plates, old PINs and account numbers... But I forget calculus within days of learning it again and again
    My V key is broken