Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26967
    I have no words.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    Yeah this is a terrible situation.

I do think this issue needs proper discussion and not just being shot down by people who cite genuine examples for medically necessary circumcision, or that it didn't affect them/their friend etc...... if it's not needed medically then it should be a choice, and a choice made by the person themselves
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah this is a terrible situation.

I do think this issue needs proper discussion and not just being shot down by people who cite genuine examples for medically necessary circumcision, or that it didn't affect them/their friend etc...... if it's not needed medically then it should be a choice, and a choice made by the person themselves
    That argument drives me nuts. A laryngectomy can be "medically necessary", but it's not something you'd willingly have done to your three month old child just because a dusty old book says you should.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    Exactly.

Just because it's sometimes necessary doesn't mean it's always justifiable.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7848
    edited June 2017
    That article is missing the full story. Where and how did this happen? Is the mother shifting blame from the grandparents to the medical staff? (that'd be incredibly shitty if so)
    That article is missing the full story. Where and how did this happen? Is the mother shifting blame from the grandparents to the medical staff? (that'd be incredibly shitty if so)
    My reading of it is that no medical staff were involved - at least, not in an official medical capacity, given that the 61yr old is "thought to be a doctor" - which is supported by the fact that it appears to have been a botched job.

In any case, even if the guy who did it is a doctor, he's totally failed in his responsibilities by not seeking the parents' consent, and thus he's culpable anyway (and should be struck off if he's a real doctor).
    <space for hire>
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Reminds me of the time when my friend left her toddler daughter with her grandparents for a day and the kid was returned with a fringe!! I shudder from the memory.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I still don't get these religious types' obsession with circumcision. I mean...every holy book says that man was created in their god's image, and is therefore perfect. Therefore, a) you can't improve on "perfect", and b) surely it must be sacrilege to take such a "perfect" work and then start cutting bits off?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    My reading of it is that no medical staff were involved - at least, not in an official medical capacity, given that the 61yr old is "thought to be a doctor" - which is supported by the fact that it appears to have been a botched job.

In any case, even if the guy who did it is a doctor, he's totally failed in his responsibilities by not seeking the parents' consent, and thus he's culpable anyway (and should be struck off if he's a real doctor).
    I read it as: 
    Kid left with grand parents
    Grand parents get kid circumcised without parental consent
    Mother (rightly) furious.

how would this be treated if it was a hand or a foot etc. That it's not considered GBH is quite frankly abhorrent. 
    In my opinion only genuine medical reasons should be considered. Religious regions can fuck off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Any discussion on circumcision soon runs into facile arguments about health benefits then descends into accusations of anti-semitism.

Like FGM, it is an evil practice with no place in the modern world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Any discussion on circumcision soon runs into facile arguments about health benefits then descends into accusations of anti-semitism.

Like FGM, it is an evil practice with no place in the modern world.
    Indeed. Contrary to my initial response, it turns out that I have lots of words about this.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2942
    I've been guilty of the whole medical argument (I was circumcised for medical reasons), but this is horrific. It genuinely sickens me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1545

There are certainly situations that circumcision is required medicaly, but this is not one of them. I am somewhat to the right of Mr Dawkins when it comes to religion - an out-dated philosophy of how the world around us works - but religiously motivated body 'adjustment' to those unable to comprehend/vocalise consent is nothing short of abhorrent. Whether there was parental consent or not.

In this case, and apologies if I missed it in the article, there was no mention of the father. It is, therefore, possible that the father was present and *did* give consent, which would have made this legal, if not morally comfortable.

Adam

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Kalimna said:

There are certainly situations that circumcision is required medicaly, but this is not one of them. I am somewhat to the right of Mr Dawkins when it comes to religion - an out-dated philosophy of how the world around us works - but religiously motivated body 'adjustment' to those unable to comprehend/vocalise consent is nothing short of abhorrent. Whether there was parental consent or not.

Or any culturally-motivated impositions on children's personages. I cringe when I see toddlers with pierced ears.
    edited June 2017
    Agreed. There is a 5 year old boy in my youngests' nursery group with a teeny ear piercing. Again, an abhorrent fashion statement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    There you go, religious people are fucking nutters. 

Ban it all right now. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

I read it as: 
    Kid left with grand parents
    Grand parents get kid circumcised without parental consent
    Mother (rightly) furious.

how would this be treated if it was a hand or a foot etc. That it's not considered GBH is quite frankly abhorrent. 
    In my opinion only genuine medical reasons should be considered. Religious regions can fuck off.

I wonder how many grandparents would see jail time if they cut off his little finger, or pulled out all his fingernails. 

Monsters that need to be put away. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    ...but, but, but the sky fairies said it was ok!

Seriously the grandparents should be prevented from having any contact with any children, it's a safegaurding issue at the minimum.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Octafish said:
    ...but, but, but the sky fairies said it was ok!

Seriously the grandparents should be prevented from having any contact with any children, it's a safegaurding issue at the minimum.
    Yep, the golden monkey god that lives in the cupboard said it was ok to chop bits off babies.......

Would it be possible to subject the grandfather to a reverse circumcision??

take a skin graft from say...... his scalp and surgically attach it to his knob. 

Dickhead

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Would it be harsh to suggest a skin graft derived from pig cells?