Own Build OM

What's Hot
Hi

I posted a link to this on another thread, but as we have our very own category now :-)

This is an OM style steel string I recently finished.  It was my first acoustic build - I've built some basses and solid-body electrics but never thought I would tackle the learning mountain of a full-blown acoustic.  I was inspired, however, by a build thread on another forum (UKGB) and thought I'd give it a go.  

It has turned out better than any of my hopes and expectations - although it was just as challenging as expected.

This is the front - spruce top, ebony fretboard, mahogany neck with central walnut splice, ebony binding, Shadow Duoplay electrics (magnetic pup plus piezo under-saddle) :

...and this is the back.  Walnut back and sides with some nice figuring but also quilting that I didn't know was there until I varnished it the first time...

The 'Swift' inlay on the heel is Mother of Pearl set into a sliver of ebony, matching the Swift inlays on the headstock:

As I said on the previous thread, I would have been chuffed if it had sounded like a bit of string stretched over a tin can.  To my utter astonishment, it sounds great.  There are some sound clips on my web page here http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/swift%20iv%20acoustic.htm

I know it's beginners luck, but I am so encouraged, I've just got some more wood for another one!  This could take some time...

There's a build diary on my website but happy to post one here if anyone's interested at giving it a go.

Andy
0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    That is truly beautiful. What would you say was the most difficult part of the build?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    birdo said:
    That is truly beautiful. What would you say was the most difficult part of the build?
    I suppose it would be too lazy to say 'pretty much everything!'  :-)

In a way, it was actually more straightforward than I thought - there is such a lot of freely given info on the internet and generous advice-givers on forums like this - but other things I was previously totally unaware of.  

For example, I had no idea that both the back AND the top are dished.  The back around 15 foot radius, the top about 25 foot radius!!!!

The thinning down of the back top and sides took AGES, and I was never sure about the evenness of the final thickness.  The side bending was easier than I thought but bending the binding was a nightmare.  Routing the binding channel was very scary, as was the routing of the neck mortise and tenon.

The braces were MUCH more design sensitive than I expected and 'tap tuning' the top an previous complete unknown (but immensely satisfying).  Fretting was easier than I expected (first fretted job I've done).  Fixing the bridge was a bit of a scary time and very nerve-racking to put the strings on and tightened the first time.

Finished result, however, must class as one of the most satisfying things I've done in years.  I built it for myself and can't put it down :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    Beautiful and stunning.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Lovely. I'll second TTony on his views.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    That's bloomin' lovely!  If I could give you more than one 'wow' then I would.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    Misterg said:
    That's bloomin' lovely!  If I could give you more than one 'wow' then I would.

Have an extra one on me!

I saw this build take place, day-by-day, week-by-week, month-by-momth on the Guitar Builders forum.  I saw the learning process that Andy went through in creating it, and saw it gradually take shape - slowly, steadily and surely.

Building electrics is mainly about power tools and whilst it's not easy to build something half-decent, it's not too difficult either.  
    Building acoustics is a completely different ballgame.  Andy is a craftsman.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    TTony said:
    Building electrics is mainly about power tools and whilst it's not easy to build something half-decent, it's not too difficult either.  Building acoustics is a completely different ballgame.  Andy is a craftsman.
    Hi TTony

Flattery will get you absolutely everywhere :)

Having said that, I'm not sure I'm at all in the same league as most of the true craftsmen/women on Guitar Builders, electric, bass or acoustic - some of their guitars are truly stunning... 

What I am always amazed at is the amount of time and trouble guys and gals on this forum and that one, to help fellow enthusiasts like me achieve things they never thought they could  :)

You're all sweeties, that's what you are :))
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Thats really high standard guitar making 
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    That's unbelievable, I can't believe that's your first attempt!
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Wow indeed, that is genuinely stunning...

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15635
    that looks amazing. The back looks like a winged demon rising from a firey pit, which makes it stand out from most production models. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Stunning !  I've WOW'd you
    B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • So have I....
  • Marvellous, truly.  =D>

Thanks for putting this up. 
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    wow!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Awesome work!    If it plays and sounds as nice as it looks then you've got a great guitar there :)
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited August 2013

nice work fella!

love the walnut back too.

=D>
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Wow.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    That is stunning.