Oh the sheer horror of it all...

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6161
edited July 2017 in Music
When my dad bought this James Last party box of records when I was a kid.

Birthdays, family get-togethers, you name it.. my siblings and I were forced to have to listen to this constantly as his cravated friends and my uncles and aunties  would 'get on down' to the 'groovy' music.
I'm amazed I survived.

For the brave of heart.. just imagine hours and hours of this s

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Neil Young doing a great job on guitar...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6104
    You think you had problems...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    edited July 2017
    My parents didn't play music much - my dad was into jazz, but kept himself to himself with it and it certainly wasn't brought out at parties. But my gran had this… eight album box set of pure cheese.

http://images.eil.com/large_image/VARIOUS-COUNTRY_TAKE+ME+HOME+COUNTRY+ROADS-426426.jpg

And one of those old Garrard auto-changer record players so you could stack up the whole lot and it would play for hours. Somehow it didn't quite put me off country music for life.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    We all had one record that used to come out....

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    equalsql said:
    When my dad bought this James Last party box of records when I was a kid.

Birthdays, family get-togethers, you name it.. my siblings and I were forced to have to listen to this constantly as his cravated friends and my uncles and aunties  would 'get on down' to the 'groovy' music.
    I'm amazed I survived.

For the brave of heart.. just imagine hours and hours of this s

Echoes of my own childhood except we were subjected to Glen Miller too :p
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited July 2017
    edited July 2017
    Played on something that looked like this.......

https://www.davidduggleby.com/files/images/auctions/489/411-listing-main-1800.jpg

(Ist Gen Ipod)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    My father never owned a record in his life, my mother had a few, primarily Perry Como , although they weren't heard that much. My older brothers had records ( the one had thousands of singles as he worked as  a mobile DJ)but they'd both left home by the time I was ten so my sister's records provided much of the soundtrack at home until I was fifteen (and started buying every heavy rock record I could). Some it was alright ( Supertramp, Donny Osmond) but unfortunately this coincided with her born again Christian phase so I heard a lot of One Way Jesus Christ by men in polo necks. I probably haven't heard these in 35 years but could still rattle off a couple of verses. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    It wasn't all bad (if you were 5) ...

jellyroll said:
    I quite like the Seekers. Very much of their time though...

(Runs away and hides :).)

jellyroll said:

https://www.davidduggleby.com/files/images/auctions/489/411-listing-main-1800.jpg

(Ist Gen Ipod)
    My gran's one was quite similar, although narrower and taller to accommodate the auto-changer.

I was later given it, since I was the only one in the family who really listened to music a lot. To my slight shame now, I tried to  improve it by removing the valve amp section and elliptical speakers - I was about 15 I think, so this would have been very early 80s when the concept of it as a cool vintage thing didn't exist - and making it into a cabinet for my new Pioneer amp and cassette deck. Of course it wasn't a happy marriage and I ended up scrapping the whole thing apart from the record deck, which I mounted separately in a stand-alone base.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2017
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    My parents had similar ahem tastes and also the added misery of Gilbert and Sullivan. I polished up the handle of the big brass door etc. 
    ICBM said:

jellyroll said:

(Ist Gen Ipod)
    My gran's one was quite similar, although narrower and taller to accommodate the auto-changer.

I was later given it, since I was the only one in the family who really listened to music a lot. To my slight shame now, I tried to  improve it by removing the valve amp section and elliptical speakers - I was about 15 I think, so this would have been very early 80s when the concept of it as a cool vintage thing didn't exist - and making it into a cabinet for my new Pioneer amp and cassette deck. Of course it wasn't a happy marriage and I ended up scrapping the whole thing apart from the record deck, which I mounted separately in a stand-alone base.
    Would be very cool to have this now. I expect my parents just gave it away when they got a 1980's hifi...as you say, cool vintage wasn't a thing 
    Bugger. My gran's one would have been worth quite a lot now… it was similar or identical to this one.

http://era-brighton.com/shop/sold/1960s-teak-framed-hmv-stereogram-with-garrard-deck-radiogram-vintage-record-player/

Of course it would be worth much less with a massive slot cut across the front to house a couple of separates :(.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12672
    edited July 2017
    jellyroll said:

(Ist Gen Ipod)
    Actually...

Thats a really high quality radiogram - thats a Bang and Olfusen 1200 RG (you can see the Beogram 1000 turntable clear as day). The top of the range version of the B&O 1200 RG also had a reel to reel tape recorder that sat next to the turntable but I don't think that one has that option fitted. That particular one sold for £75 according to the auction site it came from - if I'd seen that, I would have snapped that up for the money .

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2204
    edited July 2017
    My parents listened to The James Last Orchestra. I remember they had a radiogram built by my father until he got into HiFi.

Walk In The Black Forest (which was of a similar ilk) was a firm favourite. Plus I remember the weekly listen to the soporific  "Single Something Simple" on the radio. 

IIRC there was a joke that went something like: 
    Q. What's the difference between a cow and the James Last Orchestra.
    A. A cow has horns at the front and a xxxx at the back...

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Actually...

Thats a really high quality radiogram - thats a Bang and Olfusen 1200 RG (you can see the Beogram 1000 turntable clear as day). The top of the range version of the B&O 1200 RG also had a reel to reel tape recorder that sat next to the turntable but I don't think that one has that option fitted. That particular one sold for £75 according to the auction site it came from - if I'd seen that, I would have snapped that up for the money .

£75!! Bloody hell. My parent's definitely wouldn't have been B&O but my recollection is that it did look very much like that photo.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    To be honest, I'd say that really sounds rather samplable...
    Stop crying, start buying