Oh the sheer horror of it all...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12417
    My mum had loads of those Music For Pleasure albums by people like Nana Mouskourri and Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass. I also remember some sort of Sensational Sounds of Stereo album too, which just consisted of car, train and plane noises panning from one speaker to the other.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6161
    boogieman said:
    My mum had loads of those Music For Pleasure albums by people like Nana Mouskourri and Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass. I also remember some sort of Sensational Sounds of Stereo album too, which just consisted of car, train and plane noises panning from one speaker to the other.   
    Oh yes. Tijuana brass was a BIG thing in my childhood household.. especially this one:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10339
    I remember this being on permanent rotation when I was a kid.Utterly horrific.Still having therapy now thirty odd years later.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23070
    edited July 2017
    We had these.  Not horrific at all really.  I think my dad did have some James Last and Nana Mouskouri albums, but I don't remember him ever actually playing them.

We also had one of those big stereogram things, I used to listen to the Friday Rock Show on it every week.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72579
    boogieman said:

I also remember some sort of Sensational Sounds of Stereo album too, which just consisted of car, train and plane noises panning from one speaker to the other.   
    I had a record called 'This Is York', which consisted solely of steam train recordings from York Station in the golden age of railways.

Actually really good for testing speakers... huge dynamic range and low end :).

boogieman said:
    My mum had loads of those Music For Pleasure albums by people like Nana Mouskourri and Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass.
    This one?

https://internetfm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/herbalpert.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Elvis, Lonnie Donegan, Duane Eddy, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, The Stones, DSOTM... but mainly The Carpenters and Senior Service fumes in my Dad's smoking lounge Cortina.

Cliff Richard and similar from my Mom - inadvertently exposing me to loads of Hank and Bruce of course.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6161
    Elvis, Lonnie Donegan, Duane Eddy, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, The Stones, DSOTM... but mainly The Carpenters and Senior Service fumes in my Dad's smoking lounge Cortina.

Cliff Richard and similar from my Mom - inadvertently exposing me to loads of Hank and Bruce of course.
    Now that's what l call a good musical education @mudslide73 . Sounds like your Dad is a cool character :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I think he was just born at the right time. He's definitely responsible for my putting musos on a pedestal.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23070

We had a few of these as well.  The "Now" of its day, but no original artists included.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12417
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:

I also remember some sort of Sensational Sounds of Stereo album too, which just consisted of car, train and plane noises panning from one speaker to the other.   
    I had a record called 'This Is York', which consisted solely of steam train recordings from York Station in the golden age of railways.

Actually really good for testing speakers... huge dynamic range and low end :).

boogieman said:
    My mum had loads of those Music For Pleasure albums by people like Nana Mouskourri and Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass.
    This one?

https://internetfm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/herbalpert.jpg
    No, don't think I've ever seen that one! Actually it's the Beatles one @equalsql posted above. Pretty sure she still has it. 

The York album sounds ummm, fascinating  :)
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited July 2017
    Cheesy Italian pop hits..all day, every day