Fender Princeton reverb Original or Reissue?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Is there much difference between an original Princeton and a reissue? Is either more reliable than the other? There seems to be a plethora of different speakers, is there a preferred speaker? I find myself strangely drawn to one especially the knotted pine version with creamback speaker but crikey the price!
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have an original 69 princeton reverb and have had both the 65 and 68 reissues. The 69 is warmer, better reverb and better trem. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have an original 69 princeton reverb and have had both the 65 and 68 reissues. The 69 is warmer, better reverb and better trem. 
    @AllthegearNoidea  Thank you for the reply, what kind of price would I expect to pay for an original '69 in good condition? 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

No idea on the originals, but on reliability, my own anecdotal evidence is I've had my '65 reissue for 6 or 7 years and it's fairly well gigged and no issues whatsoever to report.

Maintenance in that period is a valve change, no dodgy pots or inputs and the amp looks almost new (part of the Blackface tolex and aesthetics I believe, some originals look brand new)

@menamestom  Thank you for your input, do you know what speaker is in yours? What kind of tone are you getting? Have you tried it with a Les Paul or other humbucking guitar?

zepp76 said:
    @menamestom  Thank you for your input, do you know what speaker is in yours? What kind of tone are you getting? Have you tried it with a Les Paul or other humbucking guitar?
    Yeah, I have a ragin cajun in mine, the stock speaker sounds really nice at low volume but falls apart when cranked.  I use mine with a Gibson Midtown sometimes, sounds great, nice seeet and full blues tone. I can do some clips if it helps?

zepp76 said:
    Yeah, I have a ragin cajun in mine, the stock speaker sounds really nice at low volume but falls apart when cranked.  I use mine with a Gibson Midtown sometimes, sounds great, nice seeet and full blues tone. I can do some clips if it helps?
    Thank you for that, I'd want to play it pretty much cranked so that's something to think about. I guess speaker choice is key to getting the most out of these amps. 

This was quite loud, 4 or 5, with a boost pedal, albeit with a telecaster:-

I'll get a cranked clip with the Midtown when I can.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811

Great tone and playing!
  • zepp76 said:
    I have an original 69 princeton reverb and have had both the 65 and 68 reissues. The 69 is warmer, better reverb and better trem. 
    @AllthegearNoidea  Thank you for the reply, what kind of price would I expect to pay for an original '69 in good condition? 
    I paid £1900
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

That was great, thank you for sharing that. 
  • @AllthegearNoidea - Hey just interested, it would be really nice to hear your thoughts on those 3 amps in comparison to each other! 

Great tone and playing!
    Thanks Rich  :)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    Louis electric columbia reverb in the classifieds as we speak...amazing princetone clone, i do know the seller and he is a top chap
  • @AllthegearNoidea - Hey just interested, it would be really nice to hear your thoughts on those 3 amps in comparison to each other! 
    Hi. I'm working away from home at the moment so cannot get decent speakers to listen through. I'll try headphones later tonight though
    mgaw said:
    Louis electric columbia reverb in the classifieds as we speak...amazing princetone clone, i do know the seller and he is a top chap
    Thanks for the heads up but it's way out of my price range as is an original Princeton, it'll be a used reissue once I've sold a few bits.
    My opinion as a 3rd rate bedroom player
    The 68 had something missing. There seemed little top end
    65 was a great amp. Speaker needed changing if you planned to crank the amp
    69. Sound is 3D. Reverb is out of this world as is the trem. Notes bloom when held. 

Also had a Carr Sportsman. If I didn't have the 69 I'd buy. A second hand sportsman over the reissues. 
  • If I was buying a princeton type amp and I didn't have my drip edge I'd buy this

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107195/fs-carr-sportsman-1-x-12-like-new#latest
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    Magic amps vibro prince.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
    If I was buying a princeton type amp and I didn't have my drip edge I'd buy this

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107195/fs-carr-sportsman-1-x-12-like-new#latest
    No trem though!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • If I was buying a princeton type amp and I didn't have my drip edge I'd buy this

No trem though!
    Agreed but for my needs a trem pedal would suffice