USACG v Musikraft

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
Ok 

i was going to order a body and neck from musikraft and get MJT to spray the body. 

Quick specs

T-style - original layout 60's.

Neck

2pc Dark rosewood
Roasted Maple
SS frets
compound raduis
Heavy rolled edges
V-C neck
Tung oil finish  
Tusq Nut
imitation clay dots

$525

USACG

Same spec

apart from nickel frets
real clay gots

No nut
No finish on neck

$260

The body's are roughly the same price. USACG offer a light weight swamp ash.

Looks a no brainer but what do you guys think? Any experience?

I can get MJT to spray the body and then send me the body and neck 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    edited July 2017
    I think you'll have to re-shape the headstock of the USACG one if you want the true Fender shape. It's only a small change I believe, but a change nonetheless.
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    edited July 2017
    I have a USACG neck, it's great just wish I'd got the evo frets though. Musikraft having the correct headstock is a bonus. Rosewood on a roasted maple neck seems an odd choice though, why not just roasted maple?
    edited July 2017
    Why not just have it painted by @lamf68 ? Cheaper and better I would say...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Does he source the parts too? It was more the neck and body that was the main cost

I think you'll have to re-shape the headstock of the USACG one if you want the true Fender shape. It's only a small change I believe, but a change nonetheless.
    There shape on theheadstock is the same as danocaster I think 

Frizer said:
    I have a USACG neck, it's great just wish I'd got the evo frets though. Musikraft having the correct headstock is a bonus. Rosewood on a roasted maple neck seems an odd choice though, why not just roasted maple?
    I prefer the look of rosewood and I like the look of roasted maple 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    I think usacg necks are excellent
    edited July 2017
    They come unfinished with no nut. But price wise seem a lot cheaper
    Does he source the parts too? It was more the neck and body that was the main cost

He sometimes has parts, but they'll have been sourced from the UK I think. I bought a GuitarBuild body from him that he painted. Give him a shout and see if he has anything. He's done a couple of Teles recently I think.
    edited July 2017
    Something else to consider here is that if you're going for a nitro finish on the body (which i presume you are if you're taking the MJT route), it will probably craze, and this can happen quite quickly (as was the case for me). An oiled neck won't craze of course, and for me, if I had a body that was going to craze, I'd want the headtock to match it. Maybe that doesn't bother you though...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    I have one from each. They're both excellent

My USACG has SS frets and clay dots, both of which are really really lovely. It's a tell headstock, which is only fractionally different from a proper one and not a big deal.

The Musikraft is a bound JM neck, has regular frets and plastic pearl inlays. It's also really good. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited July 2017
    I think your USACG pricing is not quite right - did you include the new $25 dollar rosewood export charge? (they only add this on when you go to shipping I think)

I've had two USACG necks and they were both outstanding. The boss there, Tommy, was head of Warmoth for 15 years and I  think one of the other guys is ex head of Fender custom shop, so they know what they're doing. Many of the boutique US builders buy their necks from USACG. 

There's also Guitar Mill, who are supposed to be very good, though I've not tried them. They have pics of unfinished bodies ready to ship at good prices on their site. They list the finished weight for each body for sale, too. 
    When you say craze is that the same as checking?
  • Bond123Bond123 Frets: 4
    Ok 

i was going to order a body and neck from musikraft and get MJT to spray the body. 

Quick specs

Neck

2pc Dark rosewood
    Roasted Maple
    SS frets
    compound raduis
    Heavy rolled edges
    V-C neck
    Tung oil finish  
    Tusq Nut
    imitation clay dots

$525

USACG

Same spec

apart from nickel frets
    real clay gots

No nut
    No finish on neck

$260

Have you not considered going to @GSPBASSES for your neck and body, I know he does roasted maple with rosewood fingerboard's, and lightweights T/C bodies. If I remember correctly he posted photographs of these some time ago on his posting of Making some LPJ,s, unfortunately it seems like all his photographs disappeared, most likely because of the Photobucket problems. I know he doesn't take many custom builds any more, but when I messaged him a few weeks ago, he did say he's always got part built Strat's and Tele bodies and necks in stock that he can normally finish quite quickly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think your USACG pricing is not quite right - did you include the new $25 dollar rosewood export charge? (they only add this on when you go to shipping I think)

I've had two USACG necks and they were both outstanding. The boss there, Tommy, was head of Warmoth for 15 years and I  think one of the other guys is ex head of Fender custom shop, so they know what they're doing. Many of the boutique US builders buy their necks from USACG. 

There's also Guitar Mill, who are supposed to be very good, though I've not tried them. They have pics of unfinished bodies ready to ship at good prices on their site. They list the finished weight for each body for sale, too. 
    I was going to send it to mjt so didn't need to put that fee on. 

Yes
    Bond123 said:
    Ok 

Quick specs

Neck

2pc Dark rosewood
    Roasted Maple
    SS frets
    compound raduis
    Heavy rolled edges
    V-C neck
    Tung oil finish  
    Tusq Nut
    imitation clay dots

$525

USACG

Same spec

apart from nickel frets
    real clay gots

No nut
    No finish on neck

$260

Have you not considered going to @GSPBASSES for your neck and body, I know he does roasted maple with rosewood fingerboard's, and lightweights T/C bodies. If I remember correctly he posted photographs of these some time ago on his posting of Making some LPJ,s, unfortunately it seems like all his photographs disappeared, most likely because of the Photobucket problems. I know he doesn't take many custom builds any more, but when I messaged him a few weeks ago, he did say he's always got part built Strat's and Tele bodies and necks in stock that he can normally finish quite quickly. 
    No I have not but I'll message him.

basically I'm after or close to the spec above using the best quality parts I can. I'd rather spend more to get better quality however if I can get a uk team to source this for cheaper then that would be great. I just know musikraft, usacg and mjt have great reputation.

the roasted maple idea was I like the thought of having a stable neck that feels like bare wood. I'm not a fan of sticky or gloss neck. I want it too feel like an old friend! 

So more ideas deals would be helpful. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader

Yes
    "Craze" is English for "check" :)
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762

Yes
    "Craze" is English for "check" :)
    Except in Chess of course, which would just be ....silly...... :)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    edited July 2017
    Another vote for USACG, although I've not tried the others. The exchange rate is doing us no favours at the moment though. Is the reason you're thinking about going through MJT because you want a relic finish? Not sure who does that over here.