Music that drove your parents mad

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
Other side of the coin here. What did you play that annoyed the crap out of them?

My dad is a big music fan so I never had much grief and he made a point of not complaining about my tastes but there were some things that it was obvious were not popular:

Tori Amos - I went through a 5 year phase with her stuff, blasting it in the car's player and at home All The Time. It was even less welcome on the later albums LOL so I was asked more than once to turn it down. 

NIN - the downward spiral & live / Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals - understandably this just came across as ugly noise to dad who was a Zep fan, fair enough. Mom's criticism was less polite hahaha, it was definitely not as friendly as the Rocky Horrow Show soundtrack.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Surely it's a parents' job to hate their children's musical taste? :)  

My dad basically detested every record I owned, but he had a special hatred for King Crimson. I remember him trying to help me set up my first proper stereo: I didn't want his help and played USA over and over again just to annoy him. 

My mum didn't mind Led Zep but didn't like much else I owned. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    My mother (witch) hated everything rock in the 70's.
    She reckoned it yobbo music.
    Only liked music by dead people ie.classical
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I wasn't a big fan, but my Brother played Adam and the Ants a lot in the early '80s.

Drove my old man crazy. "Prince Charming" and songs like that.  He really hated it...!

• I remember my mother studying a Slayer CD cover and lyrics, worried it would turn me into a satanist! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    My father thought anything other than Bing Crosby was " a terrible loud noise....not music " and Val Doonican was a bit too modern !
    My Grandmother found me watching my hero on TV when I was aged 10 -Mr Roy Wood in Wizard complete with hair,beard and Make-up.
    She ran from the room screaming " He's watching some kind of Wild Man on television "to my mother.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Dominic said:
    My father thought anything other than Bing Crosby was " a terrible loud noise....not music " and Val Doonican was a bit too modern !
    My Grandmother found me watching my hero on TV when I was aged 10 -Mr Roy Wood in Wizard complete with hair,beard and Make-up.
    She ran from the room screaming " He's watching some kind of Wild Man on television "to my mother.
    Lol, sounds familiar.  I remember my mum moaning about that "Jimi Henrix fella" (sic)  being "the Wild Man of Borneo" and the Rolling Stones being "dirty scruffy yobbos". They were still in their smart early 60s phase at the time. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Dad used to hate anything I'd listen too (Ie Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Guns'n'roses etc) and wold ask me to "turn it down" everytime I put it on. I had the same thing when playing/practising guitar as "it's not a proper instrument".

He's come round now, actively encourages my guitar playing and has said about Queensryche "Who's that, they're quite good"

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    My dad is a big music fan so I never had much grief and he made a point of not complaining about my tastes but there were some things that it was obvious were not popular.
    Same here, pretty much.

My first exposure to a wide variety of music was from my father's record collection. He used the Critics' Choice 200 Top Albums (compiled by Paul Gambaccini) book as the basis for making purchase decisions. Even today, we still concur on a good deal of things.

The divergence probably started when I got into Discipline-era King Crimson. I was trying to figure out how to make Adrian Belew stunt guitar noises. Playing sections of specific songs over and over. If fact, the more I studied it, the more I tried to take it apart, the more I broke it down, it remained consistent. It can't have been much fun to overhear it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    Dominic said:
    Lol, sounds familiar.  I remember my mum moaning about that "Jimi Henrix fella" (sic)  being "the Wild Man of Borneo" and the Rolling Stones being "dirty scruffy yobbos". They were still in their smart early 60s phase at the time. 
    My mum was always going on about "the wild man of Borneo " ......every time I didn't brush my hair as a kid
    I think the said Borneo resident must have been some kind of cartoon figure from the 1930s /1940s
    Having been to Brunei and Sarawak I was actually quite disappointed not to have made his aquaintance !
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    I seem to recall that the "Wild Man of Borneo" used to be an exhibit in a show on the promenade at Blackpool in the 40's and 50's.  

• Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    NWA: Straight Outta Compton
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    My mum hated pretty much anything I played, but the album that she actually banned me from listening to when she was in the house was 'Strap It On' by Helmet, she really hated that one with a passion. 
    Nitefly said:
    I seem to recall that the "Wild Man of Borneo" used to be an exhibit in a show on the promenade at Blackpool in the 40's and 50's.  

Aha .......so there's the source 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    buckethead scared the crap out of my mother
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    What did I play that my parents hated? Ah yes, my guitar.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Nothing. My old Mum's taste in music pretty much knew no bounds. She would happily slip from Prokofiev to the Pistols, Kate Bush to Black Sabbath, and loved nothing more than driving along to Killing In The Name Of at full blast singing along to the chorus at the top of her lungs in traffic!

There was much musical education at our house, both ways around :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    My parents were never bothered by music. My sister would drive me up the wall though, she would buy a single then play it continuously all day. Aaaarrrggghhhh!!! My mum liked my Queen records, and I remember my dad liking shine on you crazy diamond. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I don't remember anything in particular. However, for anybody who doesn't remember me telling this story before:

I had a friend called James whose family where quite posh people a bit down on their luck. They loved music and his older brother was an accomplished classical pianist who did well in the BBC Young Musician of the year competition. They used to listen to any new purchases as a family. I think James realised he was thought of by us as a bit of a posh git and was trying to fit in with the rest of us and bought a Motörhead album. So, yes,his family decided to listen to it with him. They got as far as the track Vibrator and decided that was the end of the family tradition. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    My father was a violinist before I was born and hated pop/rock music.

I'll never forget his face when ELO's version of Roll Over Beethoven was on Top Of The Pops. The intro is from Beethoven's 5th. He put his nwespaper down when he heard it, only to pick it up again in disgust after the intro ened and the song started.

He had a point, ELO's version was a pile of poo.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and The Birthday Party made my parents think I was into heroin.