Music that drove your parents mad

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited July 2017
    My mum actually took an active interest in the music I listened to (bluesey rock...ccr, led zep etc.).  My dad didn't get it though...according to him cliff richard is the pinnacle of musical artistry
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    I also remember back in 1993 I had an obsession with the song 'prison sex' by Tool I'd play it on repeat all the time and my mum said she 'didn't mind' it until she actually listened to the lyrics, my mums face as he sings 'shit blood and cum on my hands' was quite something.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    My dad's a jazz fan so he hated all the metal, electro and hip hop I was blasting out. My mum didn't mind so much.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    I remember my Dad having a pathological hatred of Adam Ant and Elvis Costello.Strangely enough,he seemed to tolerate The Smiths and a multitude of Psychobilly bands that I used to play as a teenager.

Rather odd as a fan of The Hollies and Barry Manilow.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    My mum hated pretty much anything I played, but the album that she actually banned me from listening to when she was in the house was 'Strap It On' by Helmet, she really hated that one with a passion. 
    Ha! Same here. "It's just shouting and it hasn't even got a proper beat!"

They also hated:
    Carcass
    Minor Threat
    PJ Harvey's 4 Track Demos
    Don't by Dinosaur Jr used to really wind them up!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Hoof said:
    My mum hated pretty much anything I played, but the album that she actually banned me from listening to when she was in the house was 'Strap It On' by Helmet, she really hated that one with a passion. 
    Ha! Same here. "It's just shouting and it hasn't even got a proper beat!"

They also hated:
    Carcass
    Minor Threat
    PJ Harvey's 4 Track Demos
    Don't by Dinosaur Jr used to really wind them up!

I have a 20 year old brother (I'm 45).
    When he was growing up he used to say the same thing.
    I used to criticise his music for being too safe and predictable.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

More of a misunderstanding than a dislike:

Back in the 80s my Mother really objected to the lyrics to Maiden's "Holy Smoke". She especially hated Bruce's reading of the lyric "like Flies round shit" etc.

I asked her if she knew what it was about... and she assumed it was about smoking dope!  I pointed out the real meaning, and she sort of half-got the song then. (Still didn't like it of course.)

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    My Old man hated pretty much everything i liked when a kid, Maiden, Judas Priest etc. Johny Cash was about as dangerous as he got, but he preferred Slim Whitman 

i like to think i have educated my lads slightly better, i remember coming home from work one day a few years ago, and walking up the path thinking "ok thats a bit loud", opening the door and the eldest lad had Bulls on Parade on full blast while he doing his homework. 

Job done 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    Typical early 70s Underground used to drive my folks (and neighbours) nuts

Hawkwind

Gong

Early Genesis

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Jalapeno said:
    Typical early 70s Underground used to drive my folks (and neighbours) nuts

Hawkwind

Gong

Early Genesis

To be fair Gong would drive most people nuts.  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    I think the only time my parents ever objected to what I was listening to was 'Rock'n'Roll Ain't Noise Pollution' on Back In Black.

They had a point - it's a shit song that ruins an otherwise good album.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I always had impeccable taste! - I would listen to the riotus stuff round a mates house! But I did bring home a Pink Fairies LP - What a Bunch of Sweeties and had it blaring out my Dad's 15" Tannoy Drivers through his precious Quad 303 system that got frowned upon!

After half a dowzen listens I took it back to WH Smiths and as was friendly with the girl behind the counter was able to swap it for MOTT (Thanks Pauline Stanley xx)

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    I always had impeccable taste! - I would listen to the riotus stuff round a mates house! But I did bring home a Pink Fairies LP - What a Bunch of Sweeties and had it blaring out my Dad's 15" Tannoy Drivers through his precious Quad 303 system that got frowned upon!

After half a dowzen listens I took it back to WH Smiths and as was friendly with the girl behind the counter was able to swap it for MOTT (Thanks Pauline Stanley xx)

I had that album, and Never Never Land. The early line up with Paul Rudolph on guitar was a great live band but they never really captured the energy of their gigs in the studio. The Snake gets close though. 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I reckon my mum could recite every single lyric from Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' album. As well as it being constantly played on the HMV stereogram (8 watts music power per channel), later that year in 1970, we went on a motoring holiday, and boy was she pleased to discover it was the only cassette tape I had for the whole two weeks of confinement.