Who listens to classical music?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24349
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
I've always loved certain pieces but I'm not a habitual listener.  I'm just wondering at what age am I supposed to start sitting in an armchair with a pipe and slippers, listening to Chavfuckovski's 3rd symphony in C# by the Royal Bavarian State Orchestra through an expensive HiFi?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Don't know about the age thing.
    I like some classical music and I only occasion play my classical guitar.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Don't worry, it might just be that you lack discernment.

But I will say that it's not as worrisome as paunchy blokes in their 50s and 60s knocking out The Stumble again in a pub jam.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I'm 30 and have listened to classical for years. My father listens to it a lot and my grandfather was an organist so I suppose that's where I got the interest in it.
    Good as rock n roll is, I struggle to think of any that compares to the genius of Mozart or Beethoven, or my personal favourite Handel.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I like "old music" mostly, not orchestras normally but quartets, etc. playing old instruments. Violes, harpsichords, single voice etc.

I have this and it is stunning:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pellegrina-Ferdinando-Christine-Lorraine-Princess/dp/B01KAVNKLE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1499762178&sr=8-1&keywords=huelgas+ensemble+ferdinando
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24349
    edited July 2017
    From my limited exposure, I'd say the way Vivaldi uses strings appeals to me but my favorite piece to date is Dvorak's Claire de Lune.  Beet-oven's Moonlight Sonata is lovely too.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've always loved certain pieces but I'm not a habitual listener.  I'm just wondering at what age am I supposed to start sitting in an armchair with a pipe and slippers, listening to Chavfuckovski's 3rd symphony in C# by the Royal Bavarian State Orchestra through an expensive HiFi?
    I do - in fact I am listening to some piece by Haydn right now. It is being broadcast by the Bavarian radio (BR 4)! Yes, yes, in the old-fashioned way by means of electromagnetic waves...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Many Chopin Etudes are mind blowing on piano. Anyone who likes technical guitar playing would probably appreciate them. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I probably listen to more classical music than anything else - whilst I like the classics (Bach, Mozart etc) I tend to listen to modern composers.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    I do, quite a lot - everything from the Renaissance to modern avant-garde.

It's wonderful to listen to but also humbling to realise how little I know about music, as a self-taught rock guitarist.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited July 2017
    Emp - maybe get tickets to see your local professional orchestra when they do a more mainstream 'classics' type of show.

I think seeing a good orchestra live in a good sounding venue is a real experience, way better than listening to recorded stuff.

Plus it's not necessarily all about old composers. In the past year I've been to see music from the Zelda games played live by orchestra, an Oscars movie themes night, and a We Will Rock You Queen + Orchestra gig... there's often a bunch of cool shows put on that would appeal to someone with modern tastes
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    I'm a a big fan of classical music. Like @strtdv said, the genius of Beethoven and the like is unparalleled. Although there's a huge wealth of work to get through, that's kinda what makes it fun.  Get yourself a classical music guide, such as classic fm, and begin to sift through it. That's what I did as I didn't know where to begin. Here are a couple of my favourite pieces to get you going:

Beethoven's Egmont Overture - the opening sequence gets me every time, and the drama that ensues is epic!

Barber's Adagio for Strings - a mesmerising piece that washes over you with ease:

Enjoy :)

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    I listen to some, but not a huge amount of, classical. My favourites are probably the Sibelius symphonies, but also quite keen on Verdi and (small doses of) Mozart. For me Sibelius is the one who paints pictures with music in a way that no-one else does.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    @beed84 said:

Barber's Adagio for Strings - a mesmerising piece that washes over you with ease:

Enjoy :)

And here's the amazing choral version, sung in beautiful New College Chapel, which is long and narrow with nothing to soften it, and imo is the epitome of the term, "church reverb". Listen to the whole thing but be sure to check out that 10-second echo ringing round the walls at 5:50 onwards!! Glorious. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    I often wonder what JS Bach would have written for modern instruments.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41A3V6B75ZL.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Emp_Fab said:
    ...Beet-oven's Moonlight Sonata is lovely too.

Populist and overdone. (I assume you mean the soppy first movement. The less-played final movement is pretty clever though.)

Listen to his "Tempest" sonata instead. (Listen to it carefully, at least twice as it takes a while to spot the interconnections.) It'll take your head off.

• ElxElx Frets: 412
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    I listen to quite a lot of classical guitar. 

I really like Gerard Cousins who was on the first series of Guitar Star. His album is pretty good, and he's a fantastic guitarist. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Ravenous said:

Listen to his "Tempest" sonata instead. (Listen to it carefully, at least twice as it takes a while to spot the interconnections.) It'll take your head off.

What's easily forgotten today is that when it was written, this wasn't possible. We take recorded music for granted, and the ability to listen to something over and over, dozens or hundreds of times if we want. In Beethoven's day the listener couldn't hear it again until the next time it was performed, which might be a long time if ever.

That probably implies that his audience were capable of the same sort of understanding of music as he was in order to write it, at least to a basic level - or it would have largely gone over their heads.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    Roland said:
    He'd have loved sequencers...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires