Acid attacks in London

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12339
Seems that these are becoming a trend. 5 attacks in the space of about an hour, theyve arrested a 16yr old lad, motive seems to be robbery at this point. Fucking scary shit. Cowardly little bastards.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    What the fuck is wrong with these people?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Cunts on wheels
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    A lot of high profile (as in on national news) instances of this kind of stuff recently.  It's really horrible.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    In India, I heard that the victim gets to decide whether the perpetrator gets acid thrown in his face! Somewhat harsh, but it might stop some of these assholes from considering this sort of thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    axisus said:
    In India, I heard that the victim gets to decide whether the perpetrator gets acid thrown in his face! Somewhat harsh, but it might stop some of these assholes from considering this sort of thing. 
    Given that it still happens there... I'd guess not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    edited July 2017
    axisus said:
    It's not in India but in Saudi Arabia & Iran.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    As someone who worked with acid I am torn... Tough legislation could make amature jewellery, brass etching or PCB making could be a pain in the hole... But this seems to be on the rise (or is it like knife crime was, just popular in the press? Hmm) so something might need doing. 

Perhaps a society that doesn't glorify violence and judge so heavily on appearance wouldn't resort to deliberately disfiguring attacks, but societal change is hardly a quick fix 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    Myranda said:

Perhaps a society that doesn't glorify violence and judge so heavily on appearance wouldn't resort to deliberately disfiguring attacks, but societal change is hardly a quick fix 
    I don't disagree with you, but it would appear that the motive for these particular instances was just a truly horrific way of distracting the victim whilst they were robbed.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A mate of mine works with young offenders in London - reckons some of these acid attacks are a gang initiation 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2955
    ....and I bet you carry it around in a drinks bottle so you don't get rumbled if you are stopped with it. Unlike a knife.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Myranda said:
    axisus said:
    Given that it still happens there... I'd guess not
    Actually there could be 50% less of these attacks than there would be otherwise due to that policy.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Less attacks in 2017 than 2016 Newham is the place to wear a full face ski mask.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2017
    UK has the highest number of acid attacks per capita in the world.

As a gang initiation, this has been going on for years

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1G1-164794655/gang-ritual-of-random-acid-attacks-hits-london-streets
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Complete wankers
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    mellowsun said:
    UK has the highest number of acid attacks per capita in the world.

As a gang initiation, this has been going on for years

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1G1-164794655/gang-ritual-of-random-acid-attacks-hits-london-streets
    How about they would drink acid instead?
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Another example of the media adding fuel to a small flame and turning it into an inferno. The more it appears in the news, the more idiots see it and think "hey that's a good idea, I'll do that".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited July 2017
    Another example of the media adding fuel to a small flame and turning it into an inferno. The more it appears in the news, the more idiots see it and think "hey that's a good idea, I'll do that".

Nope- they are already doing it.
    Gangs do it as an initiation and the reason they use acid is because it carries a lesser sentence than carrying knife.
    It is also more easily accessible if you are under 21, which many are.

It is a mistake to think these kids are so easily swayed by the media- they don't care about the media- they care about their immediate groups of friends, their gangs and being able to prove themselves.
    The media is irrelevant.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Lets just dissolve them in a bath of acid - save the legal fees and subsequent accommodation costs.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Fucking scary shit. Cowardly little bastards.
    +1

Whatever deterrents are in place don't seem to be working for some people.  Are we too soft on assholes who do this kind of thing?