Do you miss your Guitar when away on Holiday ??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12426
    Only if I have NGD just before the holiday then I really look forward to playing it when I get home. Otherwise no, total break I don't even want wifi when I go away.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    merlin said:
    I miss my guitar when I go to the toilet..... 
    then you need one of these

http://i63.tinypic.com/15cndp0.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12954
    Nope. I go on holiday to do different stuff to normal. 

Never understood the "I'm going on holiday this weekend, anyone know any good guitar shops near X?" stuff either. Browsing guitar shops (other than proper "legendary" ones) is pretty dull in my experience. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3349
    I only play when gigging/earning so never play in the house other than a cursory glance before bluffing a new cover at a gig. I keep buying acoustics but then selling because I have no need....
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11877
    I'm off to Cornwall this year, so my guitar I keep in the car should do the trick. I've found using a Vox Amplug you can easily use your car stereo as an amp!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    nooop… I take one with me
    play every note as if it were your first
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Yes. If I don't take one, I end up buying one...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    I miss making music.

If I was single, 99% of time off would be used to do music...
    Same here. It's hard finding the time to dedicate to writing when you have a gf and baby at home. I don't miss my guitars if I'm on holiday though. I work with them now so it's nice to have a little break.

Before family life my holidays were either with my mates and ended up being a big piss up abroad (don't miss that tbh) or going somewhere mountain biking which I do miss. Too expensive to take all 3 of us to Whistler for a fortnight though, plus I dont think they'd enjoy it :)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3640
    Don't miss them really as there are nice different things to do outside the usual routine.

That said, I was staying at my son's in the US in April when my wife came back and told me that somebody down the road was chucking out some junk at the side of the road, including a guitar. 

I casually strolled down there about half an hour later and it was gone.  :'(
  • ibisibis Frets: 8
    I took a guitar and Fly 3 to The Gower last year and didn't play it! This year abroad I won't miss not taking one although I have a heavy rota of gigs as soon as I get back and I fear for my calluses (and memory).
    It'll be superglue on the fingertips and 3 hours practice as soon as I get home.
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    Rocker said:
    Absolutely not. We go away on holidays for a total break from our daily routines. And unless we bring the car, no golf clubs either. I enjoy checking out CDs in charity shops and wander in to any music shops I find. Apart from that, a clean break for a week or two recharges the enthusiasm for playing.....
    That's an interesting perspective.  I like it.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    edited July 2017

No, we go to Spain every year to my inlaws, I left a 1960's Ibanez acoustic there I bought for £17.50.

It's a nice old thing and I look forward to seeing it once a year.  It's a break for normal playing, gigs, learning endless cover songs or working on original songs.  I just take a few classical songs to work, it's nice.

Here's me last year, going back in a few weeks!

EDIT - that background is the Cicada's, bloody noisy things, impossible to do a quiet recording over there....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    So for those who take travel guitars, and recommendations?  The physically smaller the better really, ideally acoustically quiet, electric one that can plug into a headphone amp?
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    merlin said:
    I miss my guitar when I go to the toilet..... 
    We all laugh, but I heard someone saying how Hendrix used to sit in the bathroom playing. He loved the sound in there.  (I think it was an interview with Chandler, his manager.)
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited July 2017
    richh said:
    So for those who take travel guitars, and recommendations?  The physically smaller the better really, ideally acoustically quiet, electric one that can plug into a headphone amp?

Cheap(ish) headless type, like a Hohner or wooden Steinberger Spirit. I've taken my Hohner on the train quite a few times when visiting. (I always feel a little safer from tuner/headstock breakages with this.)

Or a Traveler like Stratman mentioned on the previous page might be good. (If you can find one.)

• richhrichh Frets: 453
    Thanks @Ravenous I think the Steinberger Spirit would be ideal, and they have them for about £350 from Dawsons or GAK as the 'Steinberger Spirit GT Pro Deluxe', so if I can't find a decent used one, may go for that.  I know these aren't in the same league as the old 1980's ones, but I imagine they'd be okay.
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 662

No, we go to Spain every year to my inlaws, I left a 1960's Ibanez acoustic there I bought for £17.50.

EDIT - that background is the Cicada's, bloody noisy things, impossible to do a quiet recording over there....

Thought that was great, and Cicadas add to feel of holiday.

• HoofHoof Frets: 494
    No. I don't play in an originals band anymore so the motivation to play is greatly reduced. That probably sounds a but sad but the urge to pick it up 5 minutes after putting it down has just completely gone out of the window. I still enjoy playing when I do but it's far less often.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom