The best deal/steals you got on a guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    adamm82 said:
    underdog said:
    Slash crybaby wah couple of months back for £30, bought as not working, arrived brand new in box, turns out one of the 2 battery clips was damaged, worked fine off power supply straight out of the box and £2 to put in new battery clip.
    I got a good deal on a Wampler Pinnacle deluxe last month. got it for 60 quid as one of the lights isn't working. But that doesn't bother me as I play at home. 

I got a pinnacle last week boxed mint for £50. Had sat for weeks at that price. Decent pedal!
    Really liked it I was keeping an eye on the auction I won and strangely the price never went up much. so was quite pleased.

Like the pedal haven't really used it much since I got it though need to have a play around with it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I've never picked up a bargain guitar but done ok on pedals from boot sales. 

Boss CE2. £2. A battery had leaked inside but it cleaned up ok and worked fine. 

Coloursound Wah/Fuzz/Straight. £1. 

Both long gone. The CE2 disappeared in the post when I'd sent it to an old forum member for modding. I sold the wah to the guy in Macaris who was remanufacturing the Coloursound pedals in the 90s... he was always advertising for old Coloursound pedals in the back of Guitarist.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I bought a bass via eBay off an older guy who was giving up his functions band. It was a Fender Custom shop Reggie Hamilton 5 string. £3500 new, I got it (mint condition) for £1100.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpiritOfTheAgeSpiritOfTheAge Frets: 133
    edited July 2017

Gibson Les Paul Studio (white one with ebony board) £450 - Still have it and will never sell it.

Yamaha Pacifica 604V £60 (eBay it was listed as just a Pacifica with 1 crappy picture).- sold on for a reasonable profit after gigging with it for a good few years as my main guitar. ;-)

I once bought a single NOS EI ECC83 in original box for £5, when 'it' turned up it was 5 of them all boxed and in a really neat sleeve, still have these.

Latest which I think is a steal but does not fall into super bargain territory is an American Standard Telecaster for £550, not a great price but looking at the going rate on Ebay/Gumtree at the moment I think I did OK.

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I got quite a few bargains in the 90's.  1960 LP Special for $350 (sold as a Junior with an added pickup), 1960 Junior for $250, 1957 strat for $1,500 (the pickups had been replaced with DiMarzios), 1959 refinished Esquire for $1,200.  I also got a 1962 Tele neck for $250 because there was a small crack in the headstock where the low E tuner is, it is still fine 20 years later.

In the 70's, I got a beat up 1962 precision for £80, unfortunately I sold it as I needed money, but it was the best Precision I ever played.  

The last deal might not sound like a bargain, but the guitar is great.  I got my 1955 Les Paul Custom for $4.500 two years ago.  It is a great guitar, but has been through the wars and needs to be restored at some point.  Currently the binding is painted on, as the refin covers the original binding (which looks like it is in bad shape too).  However the pickups and electronics are all original, and the Mojo of the guitar is still there.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    Too many to choose from, like my 56 LP for £350, 69 tele for £300, but best deal was when I was asked did I want to buy an old Fender Amp whilst I was in a guitar shop. 
    Guy was in buying a new keyboard and small PA system, and I was trying out a guitar. Customer said to shop owner did they want to take his old Fender in part ex? They said no but Taff likes old amps. 
    So he asked if I was interested and I asked details, what amp price etc and said I would pop round his place in the week. 
    It was a twin reverb and he wanted about £340 for it about 13-14 years ago, so I said I was possibly interested. When I turned up it turned out to be a Blackface Twin. It needed a bit of work which I did myself with some help from Brinsley Schwarz from Chandlers.
    I did however swap the amp a little later for a '62 USA reissue strat and a '68 Deluxe Reverb. 
    The Deluxe I sold for £600 and the strat I swapped for a BF band master head and cab plus a SF Bandmaster head with reverb. 
    Hope you are following this as I then swapped the BF Bandmaster head and cab for a Tweed 5E3 made by Dave Hunter for a magazine plus I think £400. The Tweed I then sold for about £400 or thereabouts. 
    So quite a few good deals over the years. 
    Oh and a 63' Jazz bass for about £350ish, and..........quite a few more. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    @Del_Preston 's Washburn N5 that he built with official and unofficial parts. Went for a silly price on ebay. Sorry, Del!
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Whitecat said:
    Just bought a Knaggs Kipawa acoustic on eBay for £255 delivered - it's new old stock. Pro tip: there are more of them. 

They were made to Joe Knaggs' design by Godin in Canada a few years ago and they retailed for £1199 when they first came out. The former distributor apparently has a bunch in the warehouse they are trying to shed. 
    I got one of them.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    DanR said:
    Whitecat said:
    Just bought a Knaggs Kipawa acoustic on eBay for £255 delivered - it's new old stock. Pro tip: there are more of them. 

They were made to Joe Knaggs' design by Godin in Canada a few years ago and they retailed for £1199 when they first came out. The former distributor apparently has a bunch in the warehouse they are trying to shed. 
    I got one of them.
    Is it any good?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I got my Epi Les Paul Tribute Plus for £420 brand new from Thomann, it was £650 everywhere else. 

I also got my Vintage V6P for £200 in the end, it was a £300 guitar listed as £250 ex-demo, but when I got it the tone control was faulty, I was offered £50 off for the inconvenience and a free repair plus a pro tech setup. 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    @Elwood it's due on Tuesday.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I bought a guitar from Denmark street a few years ago - paid them a £50 deposit for them to set it up while I fucked off around the city.  Went back later on in the day to pick it up and they handed it to me with a receipt.   Brand new Ibanez for £50!!!
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    @Elwood mine is also due next week. Replied to your PM too. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bought an early 90's 1957 American re-issue sunburst Strat off Ebay several years ago for - £55!! The neck & body were being auctioned separately by the seller who even said he wasn't sure if the parts were genuine or not.

The parts looked genuine in the fuzzy pictures posted by him so I thought I would take a punt since there was no minimum bid - went really 'low ball' on both parts figuring I wouldn't lose out financially if I won & they turned out to be fakes....

Won the auction so went round to his house to collect the parts - yep, they turned out to be genuine!! No case but for £55 I wasn't complaining at all!!

I've still got the Strat which I keep as a souvenir to remind myself of this lucky Ebay purchase.....
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692

Yamaha CS60 £149. 
     :o  :o :o

Thread over. We have a winner.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Best deals I've had are picking up my mint Carr Sportsman in rare head form on here for £800.

And my AVRI '65 Jaguar in sonic blue for £850 new.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Jaden Rose on here. Less than half what it cost,  rosewood top and neck, Mahogony back and ebony board. Utter beast of a guitar. 
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    I've had my fair share over the years - two of my current guitars were bargains; I paid just over a grand for my '86 PRS Standard a couple of years ago and ended up getting my Tokai R8 copy for free after the insurance covered a headstock break that happened whilst it was transit to me - which I fixed myself 
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited July 2017
    Whitecat said:
    @Elwood mine is also due next week. Replied to your PM too.
    Just snagged one, thanks for the heads up - any chance of a picture when your's arrives?

@DanR How are you finding yours?
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    Where to start! Best ever was a proper, real 1956 Strat - with some issues - for 1500 quid, including an extra '62 neck. In 2013 or so. A gorgeous Parker Fly Deluxe for 500 quid. A John Cruz Masterbuilt Strat for 2000 quid. A PRS Singlecut for 500 quid. A PRS Hiland model - through a trade - for 400 quid. A Gibson Jimmy Page sig for 1600. 

Alas, I'm more into watches these days!