The best deal/steals you got on a guitar?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    A few years ago I did a straight swap of my PRS CE24 in so-so condition for a Cunetto Relic Strat. The Cunetto wasn't a great guitar actually so I sold it - for a lot more than I paid for the PRS.

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    A few years ago I did a straight swap of my PRS CE24 in so-so condition for a Cunetto Relic Strat. The Cunetto wasn't a great guitar actually so I sold it - for a lot more than I paid for the PRS.

Interesting you should say that - I played one a guitar show a few months ago and was surprised how poor it was. And due to the 'wrong' headstock shape, incorrect round-overs and contours, it looked nothing like a 'proper' old Strat. I can't remember exactly how much it was - but it was a lot more than a recent used CS Strat.

Sounds like you did a very good deal there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Elwood said:
    Whitecat said:
    @Elwood mine is also due next week. Replied to your PM too.
    Just snagged one, thanks for the heads up - any chance of a picture when your's arrives?

@DanR How are you finding yours?
    Awesome, congrats! You're gonna love it. Mine is superb - the neck needs a little relief, suspect that it's been sitting in a warehouse for three years and the wood is just moving, but it sounds awesome and the fit and finish are otherwise really good. Some new strings and a quarter turn on the truss rod and it'll be 100%. I'll get a pic up soon hopefully...
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Whitecat said:
    Elwood said:
    Whitecat said:
    @Elwood mine is also due next week. Replied to your PM too.
    Just snagged one, thanks for the heads up - any chance of a picture when your's arrives?

@DanR How are you finding yours?
    Awesome, congrats! You're gonna love it. Mine is superb - the neck needs a little relief, suspect that it's been sitting in a warehouse for three years and the wood is just moving, but it sounds awesome and the fit and finish are otherwise really good. Some new strings and a quarter turn on the truss rod and it'll be 100%. I'll get a pic up soon hopefully...
    I restrung it earlier and it sounds very nice.

Action is a tad high but I will wait to see how it all settles as I'm guessing it's not left it's case in the past three years.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940

Yamaha CS60 £149. 
     :o  :o :o

Thread over. We have a winner.

I think it was advertised in Music Mart or something similar. To be honest, I didn't know much about the CS60 at the time. I bought it sight unseen, and I thought that it was probably worth a punt for a ton and a half. It was Music Village in Cambridge who were selling it.
     I wasn't prepared for the sheer size of the thing. It's a two person job to shift it! 
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Del_PrestonDel_Preston Frets: 76
    edited July 2017
    Haha that was definitely a steal @carlosGlad you're still enjoying it!

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited July 2017
    Oh, and I screwed Andertons down in a rather convoluted warranty deal that ended up me paying only £1150 new for my Gibson 335... 2007

http://i65.tinypic.com/30k9l46.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Gretsch 6118 Anniversary - €850 (bought in 2008 as the dollar tanked against the euro)
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    LTD EC-500 in great condition for £150 including a hard case. Plays way nicer than I expected and has ended up a "keeper".
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5167
    edited July 2017
    My Angry Angus 'Belt Sander Special' Strat...
    Nobody wanted it..I think it Sold new for £1700 and I got it for £525 I think...

Better deal was swapping a Cornford Carrera for a Les Paul Standard in Gecko Burst  B)
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Before Ebay came along:
    Early 70's Gibson SG - £42
    Early 70's Laney Supergroup 100W head - £85

More recent:
    2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard R8 in full gloss - £1250
    2009 Custom Shop Gibson SG Custom swapped for a 50th Anniversary Gibson Les Paul Standard R0 v2.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    @DanR @Whitecat ;

Come on guys, how am I supposed to live vicariously through you without pics!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Elwood said:
    @DanR @Whitecat ;

Come on guys, how am I supposed to live vicariously through you without pics!
    Ok then...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/109356/ngd-last-week-knaggs-quebec-series-kipawa

• Yamaha CS60 £149. 
     :o  :o :o

Thread over. We have a winner.

I think it was advertised in Music Mart or something similar. To be honest, I didn't know much about the CS60 at the time. I bought it sight unseen, and I thought that it was probably worth a punt for a ton and a half. It was Music Village in Cambridge who were selling it.
     I wasn't prepared for the sheer size of the thing. It's a two person job to shift it! 

Do you wear masks, striped jumpers and carry it in a bag marked, "Swag"...?
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    My  Black Vintage Zip guitar .30 quid and huge fun ..Wikingson bits and bobs ,two strat ceramics strapped together to make a bumhucker  .Ok its a one trick pony  for bluesy rock but its got a lovely Gibsony finger board and neck ,light weight and only needed a clean and new strings .I also put in a coil split .

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    I've had a few lucky strikes over the years, here are a few...

1988 Hamer Californian Custom with a solid figured maple body for £311(that bolt-on model was renamed in 1990ish "Elite" and Custom was used for the setneck.

A 1991 Hamer Californian Standard for £325 including original case. 

Mid 1990s Musicman Silhouette with a Floyd Rose for £380 !!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.