The price of lamb

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676

Here my top butcher tip..... ask the butcher to get you in some ox cheeks. It's a cheap cut and you get a lot of meat for your money. If you stew if for a few hours after marinating it overnight in beer or wine, it's delicious.

Pig cheeks are really good too.  Excellent done is the slow cooker all day.

oddly, the butchers still save them to go in mince, but Morrisons regularly has them in stock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917

I'm lucky to be supplied with Welsh saltmarsh lamb from my brother in law's farm. It tastes superb and is extremely tender. It's sold in the local butcher, I'll find out the price. I buy most meat from the butcher apart from the odd steak from Lidl.

Here my top butcher tip..... ask the butcher to get you in some ox cheeks. It's a cheap cut and you get a lot of meat for your money. If you stew if for a few hours after marinating it overnight in beer or wine, it's delicious.

I've never heard of "Welsh saltmarsh lamb", but I'm with you all the way on ox-cheeks.  

We had some last year at a beer/food matching place in Cheltenham last year, they were absolutely delicious.  One of our party of 6 wouldn't even try them, she was too squeamish, but everyone else enjoyed them very much.

Nitefly said:

We had some last year at a beer/food matching place in Cheltenham last year, they were absolutely delicious.  One of our party of 6 wouldn't even try them, she was too squeamish, but everyone else enjoyed them very much.

does she ever eat minced beef?     These are the type of cuts that haven't really been sold for years, but its not like they just threw them away!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    It occurs to me that it's not worth paying a shedload for lamb if you're going to stick in in a curry.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    It occurs to me that it's not worth paying a shedload for lamb if you're going to stick in in a curry.
    But a cheaper cut of lamb and spend the difference on glacé cherries and Yorkshire puddings 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LOL!

Buy mutton or goat and slow cook it
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Pigs cheeks and Ox tail are 2 of the most overlooked and best cuts of the respective animals -In Andalucia both are on every restaurant menu and Cola de Toro  ( oxtail ) is the single most popular dish .
     Both are peasant foods scavenged from the carcass after the local Lord had taken his prime cuts and is how they were discovered and popularised.
    Pains me to say but Jamie Olivers Oxtail stew recipe is the best I have ever tried.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Iceland has whole legs of NZ lamb for £13, but if it's anything like the Tesco frozen leg I bought for a tenner, it'll be shite.