Car winkers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Now that the nights are getting darker, I've noticed something about "daytime running lights". I've seen one or two cars driving in the dark with only daytime running lights on at the front and no lights at the back. Genius! :)
    Yes my 65 plate stupid Merc does this. It's the opposite of what you need IMO. I presume that if I actively put the sidelights on, instead of leaving it on "auto", this will solve things.
    A problem I've found is that my 2016 Merc has automatic lights, and we habitually just leave it on auto all the time.  But in daylight conditions when it has become much more usual these days to have lights on when on the motorway or similar dual carriageway, even in the day, the automatic lights don't come on because it's not dark enough.  I have started manually switching them on, not relying on the auto setting.  Then have to remember to switch back afterwards.

Interestingly although there are manual settings to turn them on, there is no manual override to turn them off. Which can be annoying if you are sitting parked waiting to pick up kids etc. with the radio on but the car insists on keeping the headlights on until I have pulled the key out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I noticed on a trip to the USA that most cars there seem to flash the normal sidelights or tail lights, rather than having dedicated indicator lamps.  That seemed odd but I guess you get used to it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    57Deluxe said:
    dunno why they had to change...

LED much better.  Last a lot longer than a conventional bulb so you don't have to fiddle around changing them.  Will also save a small amount of energy.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    bring back ye olde hand signals 
  • Dominic said:
    bring back ye olde hand signals 
    This. I give a middle finger to non indicating folk. 

Audi's get a middle finger out of principal. 

For Bmw's I use my words. 

Mercedes, well, after the accident they've caused, I get the pen and paper out and write a stern one to the authorities. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    Am I the only one who finds front indicators that are *inboard* of the headlights annoying? It seems to be quite a fashion now - there is no reason for it, since on those cars the sidelight is nearly always outboard of the headlight and they could easily be swapped. I actually thought it was against regulations, but I must be wrong.

It's quite confusing even when the other headlight is not faulty. When it is it can be downright misleading.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I honestly thought this was about folk flirting between cars by means of winking.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    I thought it was a typo :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6084
    ICBM said:
    Am I the only one who finds front indicators that are *inboard* of the headlights annoying? It seems to be quite a fashion now - there is no reason for it, since on those cars the sidelight is nearly always outboard of the headlight and they could easily be swapped. I actually thought it was against regulations, but I must be wrong.
    This seems beyond stupid. Something that is designed to indicate a basic function such as the proposed direction of travel should be clearly defined in law in terms of positioning, brightness (foot candles?), speed of flash etc. and not subject to fashion.
    /rant