Lovely day at work

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Digging this up so I can vent some frustrations:

My boss sent me an email today complaining that I was 5 minutes late to work yesterday and today, that suchandsuch needs doing (which given I've been digging half a ton of limestone into bags, shoving them in the pickup and delivering it to a customer should show i'm not exactly sitting on my arse).

Some bollocks about "honouring your contracted hours". Jesus wept, the other bloke in the office is allowed to spend half the day on the phone to Sky each day and come in half an hour early (paid, overtime) just to make toast (i'm not kidding). 

At what point is it going to sink in that forcing someone to resign means they may not give 100% into the job anymore?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    Might I suggest as an appropriate reply:

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha.

Ha ha."
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Foster said:
    Digging this up so I can vent some frustrations:

My boss sent me an email today complaining that I was 5 minutes late to work yesterday and today, that suchandsuch needs doing (which given I've been digging half a ton of limestone into bags, shoving them in the pickup and delivering it to a customer should show i'm not exactly sitting on my arse).

Some bollocks about "honouring your contracted hours". Jesus wept, the other bloke in the office is allowed to spend half the day on the phone to Sky each day and come in half an hour early (paid, overtime) just to make toast (i'm not kidding). 

At what point is it going to sink in that forcing someone to resign means they may not give 100% into the job anymore?
    Don't stress about it mate. New (old) job in the bag and your current employer can take a running jump! Sounds like you're being very professional about the whole thing in the circumstances, not sure Id have your restraint in the same situation! 
    I didn't bother replying to the email, quite frankly i've had enough of it all.

I'll admit I slept in a bit this morning and my thought was "fuck it". Really cannot be bothered with the place at all. Spend most of the day thinking about how to improve things at old place (automated systems, make it easier for the guys doing the tests).

Did spend a good hour today reading about disused London Underground stations, was rather interesting!
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Foster said:
    I didn't bother replying to the email, quite frankly i've had enough of it all.

I'll admit I slept in a bit this morning and my thought was "fuck it". Really cannot be bothered with the place at all. Spend most of the day thinking about how to improve things at old place (automated systems, make it easier for the guys doing the tests).

Did spend a good hour today reading about disused London Underground stations, was rather interesting!
    Haha good for you. Think I'd be making my own rules up at this point!!
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited August 2017
    I've never worked in Sales but my office is quite sales orientated and a lot of people even though they're not specifically in a sales job, act in very much a way a salesman would in the sense that

"Oh I've done my job!  Everyone turn around and admire the fact that I've completed my set tasks!"

and management lap it up.  It's maddening, you have to "show you're going the extra mile" by what?  Shouting about the fact that I've achieved my KPI for the day?  Sheesh!  It's my job!

How you didn't lose your shit with the people saying: "Well it's kinda your fault you got sacked" is beyond me and seriously, fuck that boss, I bet if you walked in to his office to have it out with him about his snotty nosed email he'd shit a brick.  Most managers are just people who convinced their superiors they are the person for the job through schmoozing.

Good luck in your new role
    Well all is good, left the pickup at work (thank god I don't have to drive it again!), bought me boss a bottle of single malt as a 'thanks for the opportunity' and he gave me a lift home. One more day to go and I can near enough guarantee i'll be doing naff all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Foster said:
    ...bought me boss a bottle of single malt as a 'thanks for the opportunity'...

I was about to say "You are a fool" (in much stronger words.)

But actually, what you've done is said "You didn't break me in the last few weeks, toad" and he, in accepting the bottle, has agreed that you won.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Arktik83 said:
    I've never worked in Sales but my office is quite sales orientated and a lot of people even though they're not specifically in a sales job, act in very much a way a salesman would in the sense that

"Oh I've done my job!  Everyone turn around and admire the fact that I've completed my set tasks!"

and management lap it up.  It's maddening, you have to "show you're going the extra mile" by what?  Shouting about the fact that I've achieved my KPI for the day?  Sheesh!  It's my job!
    lol, we had that at my last place, they had a big gong (like the Rank distributors one at the start of old movies) that they'd ring when they'd closed a sale. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Arktik83 said:
    Most managers are just people who convinced their superiors they are the person for the job through schmoozing.

Utter cobblers.

I'm a manager, have been for many years, and I've never schmoozed to a superior in my entire born days, instead I've relied completely on bullshit.

Get your facts straight in future.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Ravenous said:
    Foster said:
    ...bought me boss a bottle of single malt as a 'thanks for the opportunity'...

I was about to say "You are a fool" (in much stronger words.)

But actually, what you've done is said "You didn't break me in the last few weeks, toad" and he, in accepting the bottle, has agreed that you won.

In my mind it was more a "You stuck your neck out, gave me a chance when you didn't need to and we both agree that whilst I'm good at some things being a salesman is not one of those. I appreciate what you've done for me and I wish you well. Also it'd be good to catch up for a pint as we're still mates".

Things at work have pissed me off, quite a bit, but I wont let it get me down. I've learnt some things (such as don't work in sales and don't work for my mate) and it's better to have a crack at something than regret not having given it a try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Arktik83 said:
    Most managers are just people who convinced their superiors they are the person for the job through schmoozing.

Utter cobblers.

I'm a manager, have been for many years, and I've never schmoozed to a superior in my entire born days, instead I've relied completely on bullshit.

I'd agree. My mate became the boss because he's a good salesman and knows shitloads about the industry, most people asked him for advice on materials, etc. He lacks some man management skills but he's damn good at selling limestone.
    mellowsun said:

lol, we had that at my last place, they had a big gong (like the Rank distributors one at the start of old movies) that they'd ring when they'd closed a sale. 
    We used to have two bells. You had to ring the little one for a small sale, the big one for a medium sale, and both together for a big sale.

I hid them and instead put Oinky The Order Pig where they lived. After that the MD was less keen on sales being celebrated. Particularly when we found out that if you squeezed Oinky really hard he made a most unpleasant squealling noise.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Arktik83 said:

Utter cobblers.

My last "manager" at the old place used both. And was fucking shite at his job.
    Now I'm the manager, mostly because there's only me.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    One place I used to work at, voluntary redundancies were called for. One of the other managers told me he was going for it. When I asked him why, he said he'd succeeded in convincing the bosses that he was a manager for nearly five years, and wasn't sure he could keep up the pretence any longer. Now that's what I'm talking about!

• randellarandella Frets: 4178
    I've had managers who are in management because they always desperately wanted to be senior to other people, and I've had managers who are in charge because they were good at what they did and the company needed someone to be in charge.

One is good to work for, and one is bad.  I've yet to find an exception to the rule.
    My manager got the job because I refused to take it.

Given how awful it is when he's off and I have to manage the rest of the team I think that was an excellent decision on my part.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Some managers are good and some are bad.  Same as some of their staff are excellent and some...not so much.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    randella said:
    I've had managers who are in management because they always desperately wanted to be senior to other people, and I've had managers who are in charge because they were good at what they did and the company needed someone to be in charge.

One is good to work for, and one is bad.  I've yet to find an exception to the rule.

You want to try my work for exceptions to that.

They seem to currently work on the any person who wants the job option. We're pretty sure they'd even give the cleaner a management job if they were the only person to apply.

My current manager, you could tell him pretty much anything, and he'd belief you as he has got zero industry experience. He does however like a good disciplinary, despite most of them going tits up as he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.