Airports...

What's Hot
NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
... are such a rip off! Not exactly news to people, I know, but jeeeeez! 

Flying to Dusseldorf from London City this morning, so I'm sitting in the little restaurant area. Scrambled eggs on toast with a small orange juice, £11.75! Good job I can claim it back :) 
**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    But you can get your shoes polished for free next to gate 2
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Not sure what gate it is yet, but it's OK, the eggs came out with some chopped chives sprinkled on top, so well worth it! :) 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27095
    oh man, airport food sucks unless on expenses or in a lounge (writing this in the domestic lounge in Perth!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    Yep uk airports have gotten rid of all cheap fast food places. I'm often at an airport at 6am, when all I want is a sausage McMuffin. A Microwave bacon roll from Pret/Starbucks/Costa will just not cut it.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    viz said:
    But you can get your shoes polished for free next to gate 2

Not if they're suede, you can't.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    The best deals in UK airports are to be had in Boots - they still do a meal deal (sandwich, crisps, drink) for £3!

(At least the do at Manchester Airport.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I think that the reasoning is that they are catering (sic) to a captive audience that will either claim it back or dont care because they are on holiday. 

I'm going to Peru in October and having spent £4k on a holiday I'm not going to get upset at spending a few quid over the going rate. 

The only time I got really righteous was coming back from Viet Nam the airport did not take Dong (i think it was $ only) when I had saved some for coffee and a meal. Then by the restaurant was a charity box for all your Dong. Bollocks!!! So I took it home and some people I knew said they were going so I gave it to them. 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I had to do the numbers bits for a tender for a client for one of the sites on the food court at the then-newly redeveloped T2 at Heathrow.

The reason airport food is so expensive is because the airports impose the most ridiculous charges for pretty much everything you can imagine (and probably quite a few you would never even consider). They also require that every menu item must cost the same as it would on the high street. Admittedly that is easily overcome by having an entirely different menu, but for fast food places which have the same offerings at every site it's less simple.

You are there to be milked.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    edited July 2017
    slacker said:

Then by the restaurant was a charity box for all your Dong. Bollocks!!! So I took it home and some people I knew said they were going so I gave it to them. 

Nothing worse than having to put your dong in a charity box....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    * snip *

They also require that every menu item must cost the same as it would on the high street. Admittedly that is easily overcome by having an entirely different menu, but for fast food places which have the same offerings at every site it's less simple.
    Interesting to hear that.

One day this week I'll be dropping someone off at Stansted and later on, travelling to Leicester Square.  Both places have a Burger King, so I'm going to take a picture of the menu out of curiosity.  I might see how much Boots charge for their own brand Ibuprofen too.
    slacker said:

Then by the restaurant was a charity box for all your Dong. Bollocks!!! So I took it home and some people I knew said they were going so I gave it to them. 

Nothing worse than having to put your dong in a charity box....
    words to live by.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    In fairness they are not really any worse than Motorway services prices ..........but better choice
    I have tried to get something to eat at Giraffe Stanstead airport 3 times now -every single time the service has been so terribly slow that I have had to get up and leave before the food comes -last time I was still waiting after 35 minutes .....they need to be a lot quicker on the gates side of the airport than that
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    edited July 2017
    slacker said:
    I think that the reasoning is that they are catering (sic) to a captive audience that will either claim it back or dont care because they are on holiday. 

I'm going to Peru in October and having spent £4k on a holiday I'm not going to get upset at spending a few quid over the going rate. 

The only time I got really righteous was coming back from Viet Nam the airport did not take Dong (i think it was $ only) when I had saved some for coffee and a meal. Then by the restaurant was a charity box for all your Dong. Bollocks!!! So I took it home and some people I knew said they were going so I gave it to them. 

Had a similar thing once. We had a flight from Cambodia to the Uk with a transfer at Kuala Lumpar. The uk leg was delayed (and it was already a nine hour layover ) so the airline gave us some food vouchers but they were just enough to pay for a burger at the airport McDonalds. I wanted a coffee as well. McD's wouldn't accept Stirling, only local currency or US dollars. I had a $20 note, so gave them that, but got change in Malay currency. Bastards!!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    City airport is a lot more expensive than the others. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24348
    Oooooooo Ooooo Oooo
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited July 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oooooooo Ooooo Oooo Mr Peevly...

...those bears. 

:)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oooooooo Ooooo Oooo

This thread is about airports, not trains.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oooooooo Ooooo Oooo

This thread is about airports, not trains.
    Or chimps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oooooooo Ooooo Oooo Mr Peevly...

...those bears. 

:)
    Years ago I had a supervisor who was big and stupid and a manager who was small and annoying. I called them Botch and Peevly. They didnt get the reference. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24348

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom