What's Hot
13»

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    goldtop said:
    A mid-life crisis is also about
    BigMonka said:
    goldtop said:
    Most significantly, I gave up the proper job and salary and started a small business. Earnings are well under 50% of the old job, and now everything that goes wrong really is my fault.

Obviously, there was also the inevitable mid-engined sports car. Then another one, and another. Down to just two now. Will sell them both this year. Because while I think the driving experience is fantastic, Ms Goldtop prefers to do road trips in a comfy old Lexus. :(

Plus a few vintage guitars, the spendiest of which I'm also selling this year.

So I've got to think up a new and expensive crisis for next year...

Sounds great - is your business doing the same thing as your old job was?
    I think we could do with some photos of these mid-engined cars too!
    No - completely different job, different field, different market, different tech. Self-taught, make it up as I go along. :)

I won't clutter the thread up with a lot of pointy car pix, so just the most mad:

(Most mad, because it was built by a bloke in his shed. Who knows if he left out any safety critical bolts...)

Stratos! One of my personal favourites!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I had my mid life crisis in 2008 and in the space of about 2 months I left the girl I was living with, left my job, set up a business with a colleague, met another girl and changed my life completely.

Still running my own business, still with the same woman - now wife ;)

By comparison, any bike/car/guitar purchase isn't a crisis...
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1335
    I don't think I've had one yet, but I would like to take a nap between 2 and 3 in the afternoons.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6275

What makes it a crisis is the reason, not the expression. An MLC is about noticing that you've done your bit with family/career, and that from 'now on' your life will just get smaller and smaller until it fits inside a pair of comfy slippers. You see the people 20 years older who are content with what you see as mediocrity and you get a bit existential.

So you try to defy it. For some, it's a fling with the secretary, or an impractical car that you can barely get out of, or the guitar just like one your teen hero played, or trainign for a marathon having never jogged around the block. It's all about trying to make yourself a little bit more excited than just carrying on the same old same old.

Perhaps if you don't, you end up like that TV producer bloke or Ronnie Pickering?
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3675
    My whole life is one big crisis, 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1702
    Don't think I agree with @goldtop. Perhaps it should be called a mid life re-evaluation rather than crisis. Through your 20s to 40s you get so caught up in career, family and other stuff that life happens to you rather than you choosing your own path. Then something happens and you have the opportunity to take stock. I certainly went through a change, but I wouldn't call it a crisis.

Quit smoking, started serious running, left a long term relationship, met my now wife, quit my job (for another equally as boring), bought a motorbike, bought a Strat (I'd always been a Les Paul man). Since then I managed to retire at 57 and emigrate to Austria.

Doesn't feel like a crisis - feels like Brexit - "Take back control".
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6275
    Well, I accept that for some blokes, the same middle-age realisation has bigger repercussions. But blokes buying a superbike or sportscar are not re-evaluating. Happy with most of their lives, just trying to find a way to feel excited again.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    What - not even a Terry Morgan? You disappoint me sometimes....
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    What - not even a Terry Morgan? You disappoint me sometimes....
    That purchase wouldn't be a crisis... that would be a tragedy
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9659
    slacker said:
    Bought loads of guitars, amps and pedals and gone on mental holidays.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16254
    Another point to ponder .........
    lots of people refer to their MID-LIFE crisis at the age of 50........
    How many people live to be 100 ?
  • Is it linked to middle-age?
    middle age
    noun
    1. the period after early adulthood and before old age, about 45 to 65.
    Where's Susie Dent when you need her? 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Evilmags said:
    Lodious said:
    I bought a M3 convertible. So far every single friend who has seen it has made reference to a MLC. So far, I think I prefer diving into the MLC than trying to ignore it. So many friends have had health problems it make you realise there will be a time when you are not physically able to have a MLC, so do it....now.

Wisdom. 

I would have bought guitars, fast cars and carbon bike in my 20s if I'd been able to afford it. Just enjoy life as it's not coming back.
    yes.

I don't think its really mid life crisis, its possibly more about being able to afford things you've always wondered about.
    There's a lot to be had in this life, a lot to experience, seems a shame not to be inquisitive.

I'm not interested in "stuff", but I would like a 2 seater for a bit, so I might get something later this year, nothing over the top, but one that will lance the boil.

Then probably sell it cos its impractical