Tuner the first in the chain?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Never daisy chain. Imho.
    Worked for everyone for years, good lord I even used to not worry if my pedals were true bypass or not, and used patch cables that cost less than a tenner :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 215
    The only times I've had noise problems daisy chaining have been when running something digital (tuner or delay) together with a high-gain fuzz.  So you might be OK.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Well there is slight hiss when the pedals are engaged, and the regenerator is a strange one. 

I can hear the effects if i switch it on, even if the guitar volume is turned down. 

So i'll cycle through its pedal effects, and hear a phaser noise when its on phaser, flange, step etc. 

Dunno what that is? 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Just did a test. 

Kept my amp plugged into the extension, but powered just one pedal at a time via the same double mains wall outlet that the extension is also plugged into. 

Each pedal has what I call noise floor. Ie it hisses when turned on, not playing. Admittedly gain was up and volume at piss downstairs off level. Both the boss and the marshall. The marshall has weird interference type hiss/static. 

So I then tested each pedal on its own running off just a battery. 

Same result. 

Both pedals patched together both running off its own battery. 

Same result. 

I thus deduct I currently have no more noise than whats normal by using my normal setup of both pedals running off its own boss psa from the same mains extension.

Friday I'll see if adding a third pedal via its own psa to the same mains extension inteoduces any extra noise. 

Im hoping not because after the 3rd pedal, the tuner arrives thats me sorted for a while for pedals and power! 

I could mess about with daisy chaining but while i have no more than what must be normal pedal operating hiss, theres little for me to gain. 

It would look neater but hardly as I've tucked all the cabling away nicely anyway, and this gear never gets moved to boot.. 

Hopefully I'm all good! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    Tuner first: i. it's getting the pure guitar signal, ii. it's a kill switch, iii. if it's further down the chain you have to turn off all other effects to tune.
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    I had a Polytune on the board for a while and when it was before my Keeley compressor I would get a thump noise as the compressor amplified the switching of the tuner. Having the tuner second in the chain solved it.

I have a TU-3 now but I haven't tried putting it first...I need to experiment!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    prowla said:
    Tuner first: i. it's getting the pure guitar signal, ii. it's a kill switch, iii. if it's further down the chain you have to turn off all other effects to tune.
    Only modulations and delays which will upset the pitch detection or tracking. Wah, overdrive/distortion/fuzz, compressor, EQ etc should make no difference.

I usually like the Boss tuners as a good line driver at the end of the board (or at the end of the bit in front of the amp, if the modulations are in the loop) to make sure the cable to the amp is properly buffered.

On my 3-pedal bass board I have the tuner after the fuzz and before the chorus, not least because it's hardest to hit by accident and mute the whole thing there :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein