Loopers?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24349
I know little about loopers but I want one.  Primarily so I can record a rhythm part and solo over the top.  I want to spend as little as possible but I have no idea what features I need!  I suppose a possible future use might be the ability to record and trigger two separate phrases independently.  

I'm assuming all looper pedals permit you to keep overdubbing until it becomes a mess and will also allow you to record a phrase that automatically repeats as soon as you stop recording and - more importantly for me - allow you to trigger a single shot of the phrase as needed ?

All advice greatly appreciated!

Ta.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited July 2017
    I've had a few but for me, the ability to store more than one loop is really useful. I have a Boss RC3 which can store up to 99 presets on the pedal. I've had it for years and am really happy with it.  It's handy for loading in songs I'm learning or storing sound samples that can be triggered during a performance. As an example,  we do the Glee version of Don't Stop Believing and the intro vocal ( the piano part in the Journey original) is stored as a loop which I trigger to start the song. You can choose whether any loop plays back once or continuously until you stop it. 
    Some loopers use memory cards but you can still save loops on the Boss by connecting it to your computer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Loopers take a little getting used to and a bit of practice.
    I went for something cheap and very simple to begin with which was an Akai Headrush E2 (yes, the one in my signature for sale!) but... there's a reason why it's still popular and the simplicity keeps things manageable.
    I've also got the Ditto x4 which is great but I don't think I'd start with one.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24349
    After a bit more research, I've realised that the one feature I need for my planned purpose is the ability to trigger one-shot playback of a phrase recorded just prior in a live situation.  i.e. Playing rhythm in a song, recording one iteration of that, then have it ready to trigger when I need to solo over the top, and have it stop immediately when I'm switching back to playing the rhythm live again.  Even having it playback as a loop would work, if I could configure it so it only played back whilst my foot was on the pedal etc.

Basically, I need something to takeover playing rhythm whilst I do the solo in a live setting.  I would also like it to behave like a regular looper so I could explore all the options that brings.

Is there anything that would be able to do this ?  Anyone know ?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    Red ones are better. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Again, I think the RC3 can do that. It certainly gives you the choice of continuous or one shot loops and can use external pedals to control start/stop functions and preset selection. It would be worth downloading the manual to see if it offers what you need. 
    It can also be battery powered if need be. I think it's a well thought out unit.
    edited July 2017
    I have had a look at videos of the RC3 in single-shot mode but the process for recording and selecting a loop for this is nuts, involving lots of knob turning and button pressing etc.  Not something I could do in the middle of a song.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    I use a Roland SPD sample pad to trigger things when I need them in a song. Basically I record whatever I need into the thing and then the relevant pad with my foot when I need to hear it
    I have brass stabs in mine for Superstition, organ chords for Hard To Handle, big string pad for Where The Streets have no name etc
    These things are meant for drummers but if you put one on the floor next to your pedal board it's very easy to hit with your feet
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Emp_Fab said:
    After a bit more research, I've realised that the one feature I need for my planned purpose is the ability to trigger one-shot playback of a phrase recorded just prior in a live situation.  i.e. Playing rhythm in a song, recording one iteration of that, then have it ready to trigger when I need to solo over the top, and have it stop immediately when I'm switching back to playing the rhythm live again.  Even having it playback as a loop would work, if I could configure it so it only played back whilst my foot was on the pedal etc.

Basically, I need something to takeover playing rhythm whilst I do the solo in a live setting.  I would also like it to behave like a regular looper so I could explore all the options that brings.

Is there anything that would be able to do this ?  Anyone know ?
    http://www.dv247.com/guitars/digitech-jamman-stereo--71254
    DigitechJamman can do this 
    Great piece of kit and one of the most versatile and underater loopers in my opinion. Can do looping, single play back (which is what you were describing) and also change to other loops/sequnces. 
    See them 2nd hand for £75ish
    Only thing is no midi though which is tbe only downer for me
    @Danny1969 That's an interesting way of doing it.  How do you tackle the problem of tempo? (Otherwise known as 'inconsistent drummer syndrome'!).  If you've stored the samples in advance, how can you be sure they aren't out of time with whatever the drummer is playing.  Even a few bpm difference can make it sound odd.
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Danny1969 That's an interesting way of doing it.  How do you tackle the problem of tempo? (Otherwise known as 'inconsistent drummer syndrome'!).  If you've stored the samples in advance, how can you be sure they aren't out of time with whatever the drummer is playing.  Even a few bpm difference can make it sound odd.
    I don't use the sample pad for anything time specific, I use it to put keyboard chords under when I solo in a one guitar band, I use it to trigger brass stabs but they are in time cos I'm tapping them in time with my feet. 

Take something like Purple Rain, I solo while using my feet to play the Ab , Gm, F and Eb chords so it doesn't go all empty on the solo ...... it's a bit like being a piano player and your doing something with your left hand while playing a melody with your right. Tricky at first but it's surprising how quickly you get used to it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Emp_Fab said:
    I know little about loopers but I want one.  Primarily so I can record a rhythm part and solo over the top.  
    Literally the most boring thing to do with a looper.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I don't use the sample pad for anything time specific, I use it to put keyboard chords under when I solo in a one guitar band, I use it to trigger brass stabs but they are in time cos I'm tapping them in time with my feet. 

Take something like Purple Rain, I solo while using my feet to play the Ab , Gm, F and Eb chords so it doesn't go all empty on the solo ...... it's a bit like being a piano player and your doing something with your left hand while playing a melody with your right. Tricky at first but it's surprising how quickly you get used to it 
    Hmmm.  Bugger.  I'm looking to get something that will take the rhythm part, say a full verse of maybe 10 seconds or so, recorded live there and then, so it's at the same tempo the drummer picked at the start of the song, then allow me to replay it underneath my solo - effectively compensating for the fact that I'm the only guitarist in the band.  I could try splitting up the verse chords on different pads as you do, that might work..  How do you switch samples for different songs ?  Midi ?

Why is it always the bloody drummer's fault ? :-)

octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I know little about loopers but I want one.  Primarily so I can record a rhythm part and solo over the top.  
    Literally the most boring thing to do with a looper.
    That may well be the case mate, but I need it for that specific purpose.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Emp_Fab  That's unlikely to work unless your drummer plays to a click .... if you loop something at the beginning at 120 BPM for example and your drummer speeds up or slows down a few BPM it will noticeably out of time. This is one reason I don't trigger anything time specific unless my drummers playing to a click

You can have a re agreed tempo with the drummer on a metronome though ..... if I record a sequence at 100BPM at home and I tell the drummer I'm using that night to set his metronome for 100 when we get to that song I know it will all time up .... that's easier than click tracks in ears etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Get one that lets you save/upload loops - Jamman for example uses USB & SD Cards, and there's a PC/Mac editor
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10491
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:
    Get one that lets you save/upload loops - Jamman for example uses USB & SD Cards, and there's a PC/Mac editor
    I have a Jamman ... brilliant pedals. The PC editor is a bit crap in it's GUI and has a few issues on my 64bit windows 10 machine, but it's all in all a great pedal.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Oooh.... @MrMusic   That Jamman looks just the ticket - especially with tap-tempo.  I need one.... !!