Biggest factor in guitar quality when working on a budget?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    There are so many Stratocasters around and plenty around the North East. Some you'll like, others you won't. It's easy- buy one you like.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You'd be surprised at what you can find used. I saw a fender USA highway 1 guitar in a matte burst, looked lovely. Second hand it was £400.

Great guitars they were - nice bits, decent pickups, nice necks, big frets. The headstock put some people off (I like a big headstock to be honest!) so that's worth looking for perhaps. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    How about this, local again. 

If the op can get that anywhere under £250 that's a great deal. 
    It went for £235.  Someone got a decent guitar, although I remember when they were selling for £250 new not so long back.
    edited July 2017
    I just realised we don't really know the OP's budget.  But to answer you original question, money spent on upgrades is probably better spent on a better guitar in the first place.  Squier £235, Mex £300, Jap £400, US £475.  I agree with the above, I'd probably take the Mex, and since you don't like humbuckers, you're looking for a Mexican Standard Strat, of which there will be loads available, possibly under the £300 mark.  Sound right?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Classic player if you can afford it, classic vibe if you can't...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• antonyivantonyiv Frets: 303
    I can't believe nobody mentioned G&L Tribute series yet. Awesome guitars with the pick ups they put in the US models. My S500 is my student/travel guitar. Last time I set it up was 3 years ago. Its solid and reliable. Although I can buy something more expensive, its my only strat type guitar. I've never felt the need to upgrade. And just to be clear, I have American standard telecaster and I don't find any big differences in terms of build quality. 
  • Once again, thanks for all of your input, it's been really informative!

General consensus seems to be that Classic Vibe Squiers and Mexican Strats are not too far apart in terms of quality, and will just depend on personal preference. Either way I'm pretty much guaranteed not to get a dog of a guitar (unless I buy that horrendous 'Road Worn' Strat on that other thread!). 

I'm gonna hang fire a week or two and try and head to a shop and try a few out (both new and used if possible), and then pull the trigger. 
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited July 2017
    Try a few out. See what you like. 
    Then put a wanted ad on here describing what your after. May take a few months to find the ONE'.
    As previously mentioned,you can easily pick up a Mex fender with upgrades for 300 and under. Obviously get the best you can afford,will save you money in the long run.
     I have a lovely partscaster strat  from this very parish. And with fender tex mex  pickups and set up  ,has come in under 200... 
    Good luck in your search. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    The one thing you cannot build into any guitar no matter the price point - - Mojo

It either has it or doesn't - - is the lap of the Gods.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

This just cropped up locally. 

Fender Stratocaster Arctic White, Maple with Fender Gig Bag
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm loving your determination! Makes my life easy! That's another one to add to the 2 dozen or so I've got 'watched' on eBay/Gumtree/Facebook, but I think I'll try a few out first to get a feel for what 'feels' best. 

In case anyone's interested, just stumbled across this little video about MIM vs USA strats. Answers a lot of questions I had, and means I'll definitely hold no 'snobbery' about non-USA guitars going forwards! 

http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/mexican-strat-vs-american-strat-whats-the-difference/58030
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3867
    edited August 2017
    (Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread, let me know if it's not the done thing on here!)

Any opinions on or 1st hand experience with Tokai Strat copies? I've been offered what seems a v good deal on this guitar, looks in great nick for an old guitar -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142463209480

Fella doesn't know how old it is, but he bought it from the previous owner over 15 years ago, so it's got some decent mileage on it. 

I've seen some wildly varying prices for these guitars kicking around on eBay and elsewhere so not sure what is reasonable. Anybody got any idea experience with them?

(edited to fix broken link) 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    ^ the ones i've tried are nice guitars, but the people on the tokai registry forum will know a lot more than I do. that sounds dearish to me, but the prices may have gone up since I last looked. they are vintage-spec, so if you don't like that... (small frets, small radius, etc.)
  • prowla said:
    Don't buy a Squier - buy a Fender; you should be able to get a MIM one for under £300.
    I'd take any VM sqiuer over any budget MIM. 
  • Dave_Mc said:
    ^ the ones i've tried are nice guitars, but the people on the tokai registry forum will know a lot more than I do. that sounds dearish to me, but the prices may have gone up since I last looked. they are vintage-spec, so if you don't like that... (small frets, small radius, etc.)
    Thanks Dave. I've been chatting back and forth a little with the seller, and I could potentially pick it up for a lot less than the BIN price on eBay, but not sure. 

As shallow as it sounds, I think I would rather go with something with the Fender logo on the headstock. Purely because if I get one 2nd hand it'll hopefully hold most of its value for future re-sale, after someone else has taken the initial depreciation hit. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    ^ yeah fender resale is usually better. that being said, if you're buying second-hand (as long as you're careful to get something legit, in good condition and don't overpay), i'm not sure resale is that much of an issue because the depreciation has already taken place- if tokais drop 40% and fenders only drop 30%, that's already been taken into account in the second-hand price you've paid. However, it probably is true that a fender would sell more easily. And if your heart is set on a fender, get a fender.