Need to drill a countersunk hole in a pickguard

I'm not very handy - can someone please tell me what kind of countersinking tool I will need and what size?  It's the small hole near the neck, the large hole for the bracket is pre-drilled.

I am attempting to posh-up my LP Studio

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Use an oversized (newish) wood drill bit, and do it by hand (not drill) - or just get a countersink bit.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @Jalapeno thanks, will any countersink bit do?  Or I can just bore it out with a normal bit by hand?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited July 2017
    I use this:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=41012&cat=1,180,42240,42281&ap=1

I use a pillar drill with a depth stop though.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    roberty said:
    @Jalapeno thanks, will any countersink bit do?  Or I can just bore it out with a normal bit by hand?
    There aren't really any variations other than circumference - all screw heads are the same angle (more or less).

I use a wood drill by hand (wouldn't for metal obvs)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    edited July 2017
    You want a hand countersink tool. They're very hand for quite a lot of jobs (especially quickly and easily taking burrs off drilled holes), and not expensive.

Like this - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CONNEX-COX972250-12mm-Hand-Counter/dp/B00BZH4CDI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501415230&sr=8-3&keywords=hand+countersink

You need to drill the screw hole through first though, with a normal twist drill bit - the countersink doesn't go all the way down on a small hole like this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I countersink holes in plastic by using a large drill and twist it by hand, between my forefinger and thumb.  A few spins is usually enough....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Cheers thanks all, hopefully I won't cock it up!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Practice on a piece of scrap first.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Get a countersink - they are cheap enough and they do come in handy now and then.
    Or just walk in somewhere friendly (like Feline Guitars) and have them drill the hole and countersink it too
    If it's real quick we'd probably only ask for £5

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10431
    tFB Trader
    Make sure you countersink deep enough ... I see this fault a lot: the screw head sitting proud of the countersinking and showing an ugly gap at the edges of the screw head. Try on a piece of scrap before hand, then use a drill press and depth stop to get it bang on right. 'Right' is usually a little deeper than you think it will be.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Finally got around to this - used a hand countersink, few good twists, worked a treat.  Thanks for the advice

What do you guys think?  Was channeling the look of a Les Paul Special, specifically this one.  I wanted a 50's neck though, and the Special Plus has a slim profile.  Picked up this virtually unplayed 2004 Studio for cheap on eBay and swapped all the gold out.  The pups are JB/Jazz.  It weighs a metric tonne and sings for days