Boss ds 1 distorion Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited July 2017
    Best way to get a good sound from it is to swap it for a Marshall Guvn'r 2. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • whats the marshall Guvnr 2 like?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    whats the marshall Guvnr 2 like?
    Bit like a DS-1...... ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Fucking awesomes. Not as awesomes as the Guvnor 1 though.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Pretty good. Less scooped and probably not as compressed. It really depends on what you want.
  • i would like to use it as a "volume boost" then i would like to use in a "distorted" way but not fuzzy or muddy.
  • i would like to use it as a "volume boost" then i would like to use in a "distorted" way but not fuzzy or muddy.
    Trouble with that is the DS-1 does not have much of a boosted output.

Try the BD-2, now that does have more output volume compared to the DS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    i would like to use it as a "volume boost" then i would like to use in a "distorted" way but not fuzzy or muddy.
    Seriously, why does everyone have an obsession with using overdrive and distortion pedals as volume boosts? If you want a boost, get a booster!

Distortion pedals are meant to distort. It's what they do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    i would like to use it as a "volume boost" then i would like to use in a "distorted" way but not fuzzy or muddy.
    Seriously, why does everyone have an obsession with using overdrive and distortion pedals as volume boosts? If you want a boost, get a booster!

Yep I use a DS-1 as a Gain boost into the front of my Blackstar HT5, settings are Gain off, Level up full, Tone to taste, works great this way to add a bit of extra sustain for solos or heavier tones. In the effects loop I use  a TC spark boost mini for a Level boost, this works great for when you need a bit of extra volume for a solo or a stand out part.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:

Most boosters don't let you fiddle with the tone as much, though. I used to think I wanted a clean booster, now I know I prefer an OD where I can cut the low end. I like the extra grit and compression you get from an OD versus a clean booster, too.
    Dave_Mc said:

Most boosters don't let you fiddle with the tone as much, though. I used to think I wanted a clean booster, now I know I prefer an OD where I can cut the low end. I like the extra grit and compression you get from an OD versus a clean booster, too.
    If there's grit and compression then it's distorting ;).

I suppose I can see the point more with a typical TS-type overdrive because they do that before they become very obviously distorted, and I know a lot of people do use them that way and seem to love them for that. I never have - I've tried it obviously, but I've never once liked the result. I always prefer to add at least a bit more distortion and not much extra level, if any - the blend of the pedal overdrive with the amp's drive always sounds much better than using the pedal clean and pushing the amp harder, to me.

To be honest, if I wanted a clean boost with EQ which can just about double as an overdrive - rather than the other way round - I'd probably look at something like an AC or RC Booster. I've never got on with any clean boost though - not even the (original) MXR Micro Amp, which was probably the one I disliked least...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM thanks, very useful
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    how do i get a good "sound" out of my Boss ds 1 distorion Pedal?

you run it in tandem with an EQ pedal...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

(a) If there's grit and compression then it's distorting .

(b) I suppose I can see the point more with a typical TS-type overdrive because they do that before they become very obviously distorted, and I know a lot of people do use them that way and seem to love them for that. I never have - I've tried it obviously, but I've never once liked the result. I always prefer to add at least a bit more distortion and not much extra level, if any - the blend of the pedal overdrive with the amp's drive always sounds much better than using the pedal clean and pushing the amp harder, to me.

To be honest, if I wanted a clean boost with EQ which can just about double as an overdrive - rather than the other way round - I'd probably look at something like an AC or RC Booster. I've never got on with any clean boost though - not even the (original) MXR Micro Amp, which was probably the one I disliked least...
    (a) Absolutely, I never claimed it wasn't  D

(b) Yeah. I have a little bit of gain dialled in on the pedal too, lol. I usually use a ts or sd1 for leads, so the extra compression is useful there. I find them a bit nasally for rhythm tones, I prefer a timmy for that- which sounds very similar to the RC boost you mentioned (at least if my Mooer clone is to be believed), just the Mooer sounds a little sweeter, while the timmy has a kind of snarl which I really like. As you said, why go for a clean boost when you can get ODs which do the same thing with more control, and which can double as an OD too?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    @James19931958 I have to ask - you said you were wanting to buy a JMP and use it only on the clean.  Would you not be better using your Tubescreamer as an overdrive and using the JMP's dirty channel instead of a DS-1?

• @bingefeller ive heard that the jmp1's distotion sound isn't very good.  I thought, that the jmp1 was to "refine tone" and ive been getting on ok with the ds1.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @bingefeller ive heard that the jmp1's distotion sound isn't very good.
    Where did you hear that?

It seems to be good enough for Iron Maiden.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    @james19931991  I've been on gear forums for a long time and I've never heard of anyone wanting to ise a JMP for a clean sound.  You'd be better with a solid state head for clen imo, something like a Crate Powerblock or a Quilter head.  
    edited August 2017
    @james19931991  I've been on gear forums for a long time and I've never heard of anyone wanting to ise a JMP for a clean sound.
    Really? A lot of people do. I have for about 30 years, and I'm far from alone.

Marshall JMPs have a fantastic clean tone. A more well-known user would be John Frusciante, with a JMP Super Bass and Major.

You'd be better with a solid state head for clen imo
    A clean valve amp - which does not always mean a Fender - still sounds quite a lot different from a solid-state amp usually.

And I like solid-state amps. (A lot of them, anyway.)

something like a Crate Powerblock
    No. Unreliable and horrible-sounding. One of the worst amps I've ever heard.

• ICBM said:
     said:
    @james19931991  I've been on gear forums for a long time and I've never heard of anyone wanting to ise a JMP for a clean sound.
    Really? A lot of people do. I have for about 30 years, and I'm far from alone.

Marshall JMPs have a fantastic clean tone. A more well-known user would be John Frusciante, with a JMP Super Bass and Major.

You'd be better with a solid state head for clen imo
    A clean valve amp - which does not always mean a Fender - still sounds quite a lot different from a solid-state amp usually.

And I like solid-state amps. (A lot of them, anyway.)

something like a Crate Powerblock
    No. Unreliable and horrible-sounding. One of the worst amps I've ever heard.
    I think he means the JMP1 midi Preamp not the JMP amp, pre cursor to the JCM800. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.